• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

random tip that helped me a lot

SMcVicker91

hi guys, i'm not good at disc golf or anything but i have gotten a lot better thanks to a local pro who was kind enough to chuck some discs with me. so this tip is for people struggling to hit 250-300 consistently who mainly strong arm it.

basically on your drive, keep your arm and disc out in front of you toward your target, then do your x-step and have your BODY move forward while your disc stays in the same position. When you plant your right foot (rhbh) your disc will still be in about the same position with your arm nicely extended, putting you in a perfect position to make a nice throw.

after doing this a while i noticed it taught me the key idea for throwing a disc: you sling your ARM, not the disc. This kind of forced me to do that the more I practiced, and the looser I got with my arm muscles, the more I used the rest of my body to propel the disc. This helped me learn how to use the arm more as just a leverage device like a bat/golf club etc. I still can't throw nearly as far as the best, but it's nice to feel you're on the right track and have predictably straight flight paths. Before I felt like I was only going backwards, and this one tip helped tremendously (as well as leaving my high speed drivers at home; I only use a River, Leopard, Gazelle, and Archangel. My Archangel is so nice because every time I throw it it's either a beautiful shot or a miserable shot, and when it's bad I know I used too much arm and didn't get enough speed. I can now throw hyzer flips with my leopard and gazelle which is exciting.)

I've read and watched tens of hours of stuff and it all gets so confusing and jumbled, and just focusing on that (as well as not looking down the target throughout the motion) has helped me tremendously.

cheers.

hi guys, i'm not good at disc golf or anything but i have gotten a lot better thanks to a local pro who was kind enough to chuck some discs with me. so this tip is for people struggling to hit 250-300 consistently who mainly strong arm it.

basically on your drive, keep your arm and disc out in front of you toward your target, then do your x-step and have your BODY move forward while your disc stays in the same position. When you plant your right foot (rhbh) your disc will still be in about the same position with your arm nicely extended, putting you in a perfect position to make a nice throw.

after doing this a while i noticed it taught me the key idea for throwing a disc: you sling your ARM, not the disc. This kind of forced me to do that the more I practiced, and the looser I got with my arm muscles, the more I used the rest of my body to propel the disc. This helped me learn how to use the arm more as just a leverage device like a bat/golf club etc. I still can't throw nearly as far as the best, but it's nice to feel you're on the right track and have predictably straight flight paths. Before I felt like I was only going backwards, and this one tip helped tremendously (as well as leaving my high speed drivers at home; I only use a River, Leopard, Gazelle, and Archangel. My Archangel is so nice because every time I throw it it's either a beautiful shot or a miserable shot, and when it's bad I know I used too much arm and didn't get enough speed. I can now throw hyzer flips with my leopard and gazelle which is exciting.)

I've read and watched tens of hours of stuff and it all gets so confusing and jumbled, and just focusing on that (as well as not looking down the target throughout the motion) has helped me tremendously.

cheers.

Give the Teebird a shot too. That disc is magical.

^^^Couldn't agree more. I kept ignoring all those suggestions to try the Teebird for the longest time. I finally broke down and gave it a shot and my driving changed dramatically. It's by far the best driver I have in my bag.

Good advice that pro gave you.

I've been throwing like that for years,except now I have more of a reach back.Think that style mixed with Ken Climo's and you have how I throw the disc.

Oh and get a TeeBird.DX,Star, Champion they are all good.

A Gazelle is good too.It just has less speed and less glide,but still that same good fade a Teebird has.

Pull across your chest and keep the disc in your hand until you let go, straight shots.