• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Range for Putting, Mid and Driving

That is without a doubt the best YouTube video I've ever seen. OK maybe second to Charlie the Unicorn.

I am one that feels that you need to learn what every disc will do at every power level that you can do. Like 100% 75% 50% etc. I was playing with another friend of mine the other day (who by the way every one of us know very well) and we stepped up to a tee box where the line of the fairway is somewhere in the range of maybe 120' straight uphill, fairly narrow and then the fairway turns drastically left to the basket position maybe forty feet left of the line of the fairway. He pulls out a mid, and I pull out a max weight champ boss. He makes a few comments about how I am choosing a disc that is WAY overkill for the hole. He would be right if I were going to try to throw the disc with max power. But I had picked out a tree at the turn of the fairway that I planned on turning at. He threw his mid first and made it to the turn (keep in mind that this hole has an extreme uphill elevation change. He now has about a forty foot approach shot. I tee off with my boss at about 40% power and make it just past the turn and get an extreme fade and hyzer skip. I now have a shot about six feet from the basket. So the moral of the story here is simple. Yeah I could have used a mid or perhaps even my putter, but I felt that the ceiling was too low for me to get the hard fade I would have needed to get to the basket. (It was for him!) So I went with something that I had learned by throwing all my discs at different power levels. A boss or destroyer thrown at a little less than half power can turn a corner better than any mid ever could in some low ceiling conditions. I am always in trouble on my own personal home course on number 17, and I find myself 100' out from the basket lined up with a shot where my only clear throwing line puts the basket at somewhere between my nine and ten o'clock, and I am going to hit trees 60' in front of me. So I always pull out the boss and throw it to where it will start to fade hard 50' in front of me and get a big skip to the basket. I can consistently land my shot within ten or less feet from the basket by doing this. People that see me in this trap are always amazed that I can pull it off. So the question here is, "since the disc is overkill, but it works incredibly, is it wrong?"
Do what works for you!

Thanks for all of the replys. Didnt mean to start any drama with the questions so im sorry about that lol. I just kinda needed a guide line of what to shoot for. I think I will practice driving with my mids a lot more and see how things go. One think I notice about throwing my putters longer than 50' is that I have a hard time with the deeper lip of the disc ( I throw a Wizard). The deeper disc gives me issues with the release, its like its hard to let go with any snap.
No worries though sounds like its just time to practice practice practice :)

I am one that feels that you need to learn what every disc will do at every power level that you can do. Like 100% 75% 50% etc. I was playing with another friend of mine the other day (who by the way every one of us kn..............
Do what works for you!

read all of that... and? None of us can tell what we would do on those shots unless we played them ourselves and from the sounds of it I would feel very comfortable making those shots with other discs. But what we're discussing isn't "should I only use the slowest disc for the shot" or "should I never use drivers" its "if you really want to improve distance and control you can and most likely will get better by taking some time off high speed drivers". High speed drivers have use, you are correct. That is how you make those shots... awesome, great, I'll probably use a driver on some holes too that don't need it when I come across them. But that 1) isn't every hole and 2) doesn't have anything to do with your overall distance and control (not that those shots don't take control to execute).

It sucks when players with 500' of power walk up to a very wooded hole and throw a 350' spike hyzer to avoid all the trees and lands next to the basket. Where everyone else has to try to pick lines through trees...

Quoted from cfair

But that 1) isn't every hole and 2) doesn't have anything to do with your overall distance and control (not that those shots don't take control to execute).

This is what I am trying to point out. Sometimes you are clearly in range to use a mid, but another disc with a predictability that you have learned at a different power level can make the shot even better. So For this idea I say that there is no set distance where you should only use one type of disc. The only way that I would say that there are set distances that you should move to a mid or a putter or driver is if you are playing in a wide open area like a parking lot. If you are on a real course with real obstacles, then you should learn what different discs will do at different power levels to work your way around those obstacles.

I agree with that.

There is a hole at my local course that is like 150 from the shorts and just over 200 from the longs. I can reach both with a putter but its got a bit of a right dogleg and I usually throw a demon backhand or sidearm a cobra on a turnover.

For me it is as follows:

putter putter - <50'
mid - <250'
fairway - everything else

i do drive with a putter when the hole calls for it, but i have yet to need any distance drivers in this stage of my discing down.

I am one that feels that you need to learn what every disc will do at every power level that you can do. Like 100% 75% 50% etc. I was playing with another friend of mine the other day (who by the way every one of us know very well) and we stepped up to a tee box where the line of the fairway is somewhere in the range of maybe 120' straight uphill, fairly narrow and then the fairway turns drastically left to the basket position maybe forty feet left of the line of the fairway. He pulls out a mid, and I pull out a max weight champ boss. He makes a few comments about how I am choosing a disc that is WAY overkill for the hole. He would be right if I were going to try to throw the disc with max power. But I had picked out a tree at the turn of the fairway that I planned on turning at. He threw his mid first and made it to the turn (keep in mind that this hole has an extreme uphill elevation change. He now has about a forty foot approach shot. I tee off with my boss at about 40% power and make it just past the turn and get an extreme fade and hyzer skip. I now have a shot about six feet from the basket. So the moral of the story here is simple. Yeah I could have used a mid or perhaps even my putter, but I felt that the ceiling was too low for me to get the hard fade I would have needed to get to the basket. (It was for him!) So I went with something that I had learned by throwing all my discs at different power levels. A boss or destroyer thrown at a little less than half power can turn a corner better than any mid ever could in some low ceiling conditions. I am always in trouble on my own personal home course on number 17, and I find myself 100' out from the basket lined up with a shot where my only clear throwing line puts the basket at somewhere between my nine and ten o'clock, and I am going to hit trees 60' in front of me. So I always pull out the boss and throw it to where it will start to fade hard 50' in front of me and get a big skip to the basket. I can consistently land my shot within ten or less feet from the basket by doing this. People that see me in this trap are always amazed that I can pull it off. So the question here is, "since the disc is overkill, but it works incredibly, is it wrong?"
Do what works for you!

100 Putter. 200 Mid. Driver for everything else, including short Doglegs.They turn hard.Learn the speed and stability.Fast disc's slow turn hard fast.

Latest posts