• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ratio of "Reviews" to "Played" on DGCR

This is the crux of the biscuit.
To me, it seems that those opposed to writing a decent review and who want a checklist option are the same ones who hated essays in school, and preferred multiple choice.
This makes me realize how glad I am that Timg refuses this idea.

HELP KEEP DGCR NERDY---REJECT ATHLETIC SHORTCUTS!

I'd appreciate it if you would keep from trying to make a generalization of people and things based off of me simply stating my opinion. Furthermore, you know nothing about me. In addition, it was a suggestion to try to increase the amount of reviews being done which is what the OP was inquisitive about. He wanted to know possibilities why and I provided an opinion. THAT WAS ALL. Get over yourself. :thmbdown:

While the sliding scale thing and the info collected would be cool and valuable, it also suddenly turned marking a course as played into "work" and you have to be careful with that. That's the reason the original PDGA course evals failed, there was some crazy spreadsheet that needed to be filled out, it was too tedious. Keeping the process simple and open ended tends to make it a little more inviting.

Making something like that optional could work in theory but chances are you'd never really collect enough data to make it a worth while feature. If it's not required, most people won't bother doing it. Plus deciding on which subjective portions of the course should be rated would be like opening Pandora's box. I still remember the massive thread about which words to use for the rating numbers.

Last edited:
Making something like that optional could work in theory but chances are you'd never really collect enough data to make it a worth while feature. If it's not required, most people won't bother doing it.

I think all/most that that would write a review, would do this. Plus, I believe there are many out there that would like to contribute to a system like this, but don't quite want to go the distance to write the lengthy in-depth reviews that have become the standard. In short, I think you would collect more data than you are currently getting for the course ratings.

Plus deciding on which subjective portions of the course should be rated would be like opening Pandora's box. I still remember the massive thread about which words to use for the rating numbers.

If you put it out for discussion in a general thread, absolutely it would open Pandora's box. Best for you to select a few to assist and provide comments. Not worth opening Pandora's box.

While the sliding scale thing and the info collected would be cool and valuable, it also suddenly turned marking a course as played into "work" and you have to be careful with that. That's the reason the original PDGA course evals failed, there was some crazy spreadsheet that needed to be filled out, it was too tedious. Keeping the process simple and open ended tends to make it a little more inviting.

Making something like that optional could work in theory but chances are you'd never really collect enough data to make it a worth while feature. If it's not required, most people won't bother doing it. Plus deciding on which subjective portions of the course should be rated would be like opening Pandora's box. I still remember the massive thread about which words to use for the rating numbers.

That's prettymuch the long and the short of it. (I was on the PDGA Committee that created the frankenstein course eval. Not pretty.)

Anyway, I think it's something that could work to some degree, but really only in the absence of anything else. Since the rating/reviewing here already kicks butt, the value-add would be greatly diminished.

I think it would be a nice value-add for finding courses with some sort of specific, hard to quantify element. You'd have to distill it to just a few select items, maybe 5 at the most, that would aid in the course selection process.

That said, the ratings on here have rarely steered me wrong on my trips... I just like playing good courses and the reviews pretty much have that base covered.

Last edited: