• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rattle the Sabres

bayouace

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Does anyone have an opinion on the Gateway Sabre? Looks interesting, and I really like the Gateway Voodoo Soft.

Its a overstable fairway driver. The one I have is 169g and can handle quite a bit of snap, stays straight and fades to the left consistently.

I have a brand new one in evolution plastic if you want it, 10 bucks shipped.

Gateway used to sponsor me when I was 16, don't know how far the technology has come but I would compare it to an Eagle with just a tad more stability but when beat up came up about 20-30feet shorter. Looked cheap, but flew very well. This was 10 years of course!

Like others have said, it's on the slow side for a fairway driver, has a decent amount of high speed stability but little fade. You gotta throw them high if you want any D.

Stiff?

I find it odd that the new Sabres are stiff because I bought one a month or two ago and it the flimsiest plastic I've ever felt a disc be made out of.

I'm resurrecting this thread with a question. I lost my Star Teebird but I made a trade for a Sabre thinking it might be a suitable replacement (I know Teebird fanatics, there is no such thing as a teebird replacement). How do Teebirds and Sabres compare?

I'm resurrecting this thread with a question. I lost my Star Teebird but I made a trade for a Sabre thinking it might be a suitable replacement (I know Teebird fanatics, there is no such thing as a teebird replacement). How do Teebirds and Sabres compare?

Well it depends. In the old Evolution plastic it is like a champ teebird but slighty slower and a little more stable. The new CE HPP plastic is like a mix of FLX and Champ. Both are very similar to a teebird, but its basically prefrence.

In general I find Teebirds to be a bit faster, a bit more nose angle sensitive and longer. Sabres need more height to go far, start off with less fade, are easier to range with (you can control D with height easier) and are a bit easier to throw.

i hated the sabre i had - was in basic plastic and pinkish/red in color - seemed to go nowhere- the assassin was a better disc

A Hybrid is more like a faster Blaze. It's not as long as a Teebird but longer than the Sabre on a lower line and will have quite a bit more fade.

i hated the sabre i had - was in basic plastic and pinkish/red in color - seemed to go nowhere- the assassin was a better disc
You really have to get your whole ass behind the Sabre or it will go nowhere. You have to throw those SOB's like a Nolan Ryan fastball...high and hard.

The Assassin is a much easier disc to throw.

I have a Sabre in S plastic and it is one of the stiffest discs I have. I like it okay, but use a TeeBird and Buzzz more in the times I could have used it.

Well, at least my bag will be getting more diverse.