• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RDG Raptor/Discraft Raptor Name Debacle

Eyeballing the approved discs spreadsheet, it does look like the original Raptor mold had it's name changed, clearing the path for Discraft. Not sure if Jamie truly got the short end of the stick, or if the timing was just wrong, or if Discraft was willing to put more resources into getting the Raptor as a mold name. But at this point it's all water under the bridge. Also, RDG did lock down "Velociraptor" as a mold name :thmbup:

I didn't even realize you could "officially" change the name of a mold with the PDGA.
With the announcement of Ricky going to Innova, do you think they'll change the Destroyer to the Destraptor? :D

Eyeballing the approved discs spreadsheet, it does look like the original Raptor mold had it's name changed, clearing the path for Discraft. Not sure if Jamie truly got the short end of the stick, or if the timing was just wrong, or if Discraft was willing to put more resources into getting the Raptor as a mold name. But at this point it's all water under the bridge. Also, RDG did lock down "Velociraptor" as a mold name :thmbup:

I didn't even realize you could "officially" change the name of a mold with the PDGA.
With the announcement of Ricky going to Innova, do you think they'll change the Destroyer to the Destraptor? :D

You can change the name if you pay the pdga some $$$.

Wonder which company will release "the rapture" lol

Can you "secure" names in advance?

I mean Discmania had to have "MD5" locked down LONG before they had the disc

Name sequences like Prodigy and Discmania uses depend on the "next number/letter" in the sequence is available

Jesus. Y'all will argue endlessly about the minutiae of bull**** like who put anything resembling claw marks on a disc into the ground , and then turn around and call this post petty for what seems to me an obvious issue. Not sure how RPM selling the rights to the name has anything to do with this post as well. It's obvious from the letter that A. The PDGA rejected thier use of the name at the time based on someone else having a similar name. and then B. Later allowed another bigger company to go ahead and use that name. Seems cut and dry.

Not that it really matters much at this point though. It's not a legal issue unless you have $$$, and even then it may not be an issue.

Is it lame of the PDGA ? Sure.

Is it wrong of Jamie to post this? Nah.

Jesus. Y'all will argue endlessly about the minutiae of bull**** like who put anything resembling claw marks on a disc into the ground , and then turn around and call this post petty for what seems to me an obvious issue. Not sure how RPM selling the rights to the name has anything to do with this post as well. It's obvious from the letter that A. The PDGA rejected thier use of the name at the time based on someone else having a similar name. and then B. Later allowed another bigger company to go ahead and use that name. Seems cut and dry.

Not that it really matters much at this point though. It's not a legal issue unless you have $$$, and even then it may not be an issue.

PDGA manufacturer guidelines: https://www.pdga.com/files/pdgatechstandards_09-21-2018.pdf

"Manufacturers should
review the PDGA Approved Disc list to make sure their proposed disc name will not be too similar to a
previously approved disc made by another manufacturer. The PDGA does not referee name conflicts and
expects the affected manufacturers to resolve naming issues before a new disc can be approved"

Discraft buying the name rights would cover the second part of that.

Just trying to get this straight:

- RPM had the "Rapter" and RDG tried to get the "Raptor" approved
- RPM gave approval for RDG using a similar name
- PDGA said "no" anyways because the names were too similar
- A few years later, Discraft worked it out with RPM for them to change the name of the "Rapter" to the "kiwi"
- Now PDGA says "yes" to Discraft's "Raptor" because there's no conflict

Is that pretty much the story? If so, I don't see any foul from anyone. The PDGA was consistent with their decision that two discs with similar names can't be approved. Seems that Jaime (RDG) should have worked with RPM to get their name changed instead of getting email permission. It's not the PDGA's fault that Discraft found their way around the problem.

Just trying to get this straight:

- RPM had the "Rapter" and RDG tried to get the "Raptor" approved
- RPM gave approval for RDG using a similar name
- PDGA said "no" anyways because the names were too similar
- A few years later, Discraft worked it out with RPM for them to change the name of the "Rapter" to the "kiwi"
- Now PDGA says "yes" to Discraft's "Raptor" because there's no conflict

Is that pretty much the story? If so, I don't see any foul from anyone. The PDGA was consistent with their decision that two discs with similar names can't be approved. Seems that Jaime (RDG) should have worked with RPM to get their name changed instead of getting email permission. It's not the PDGA's fault that Discraft found their way around the problem.

Guess it is not so cut and dry?

Companies pandering to the social media masses with misinformation and lack of fact presentation does indeed leave me with a negative impression of the company. I understand that in today's social media climate, this is a common practice, but it does not make it right.

That, and it's bickering about a disc name. Not a name the company was already invested in, but a prospective name.

That, and it's bickering about a disc name. Not a name the company was already invested in, but a prospective name.

It could be a problem if a company had a set line of discs ideas and then someone else comes up with one of their names before they have created the disc. Ie someone bringing out an F8 and blocking a future Understable Fairway.

I wonder if you can put down a list of names that you want to use as a company in the future to avoid the issue?

I wonder if you can put down a list of names that you want to use as a company in the future to avoid the issue?

I don't know, but I doubt it. I get the impression that the PDGA doesn't want to go there. Can't say I'd blame them.

I don't know, but I doubt it. I get the impression that the PDGA doesn't want to go there. Can't say I'd blame them.

There is one way, but a bit expensive for a startup.
  1. Have a rapid prototyping company build as many different discs as the company needs names for.
  2. Have each one certified and approved.
  3. When said company is ready to use said disc name, design the disc and have it recertified

The rapid prototyped discs don't have to be anything like what the eventual discs would be like and from what I see, does not ever have to go into production.

There is one way, but a bit expensive for a startup.
  1. Have a rapid prototyping company build as many different discs as the company needs names for.
  2. Have each one certified and approved.
  3. When said company is ready to use said disc name, design the disc and have it recertified

The rapid prototyped discs don't have to be anything like what the eventual discs would be like and from what I see, does not ever have to go into production.

Isn't there a requirement that there be a certain number of these discs out in the wild before they can be approved? You'd have to prototype a bunch of the same disc and give them out to people first. And then pay again when you're ready to get the actual design approved.

Isn't there a requirement that there be a certain number of these discs out in the wild before they can be approved? You'd have to prototype a bunch of the same disc and give them out to people first. And then pay again when you're ready to get the actual design approved.

I could be wrong, but when I read the requirements, I did not see anything about that. They do have to pass a spec certification process though. I think that takes a minimum of 2 discs sent in.

Jamie, do I have this correct?

I could be wrong, but when I read the requirements, I did not see anything about that. They do have to pass a spec certification process though. I think that takes a minimum of 2 discs sent in.

Jamie, do I have this correct?

I think you're right. I was probably thinking of the "for use in PDGA world championships" requirement of the disc being available in retail stores for 30 days prior to use in said championship.

Latest posts