• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Really Small Baskets

DavidSauls

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
There are, it seems, several hundred current threads, promoting smaller baskets and how they'll propel disc golf to the Big Time.

This is not one of them.

This is just some crackpot musings about something that might be fun.

I've played mini golf. Perhaps some of you have, too. You know, throwing minis at those tiny baskets. We've even set up a 9-hole course, for a sideshow between tournament rounds (yes, with OB and elevated baskets and the rest). Putting minis into those little baskets is pretty tricky.

One thing those thousands of threads promoting small baskets have run into is this: in trying to emulate (ball) golf, the issue that in golf, putting is a very different venue from fairways, rolling a ball instead of sending it flying through the air. Disc golf can't make such a distinction.

But....what if we set mini baskets out on a normal-length course, and played with both standard discs and minis? Standard discs for distance and approaches, minis for putting. Anchoring the baskets so that a full size disc could stick, with a lot of luck, but at some point you might have to make the decision between laying up with a regular disc, or running the basket with a mini.

Not that it's going to catch on or bring fans or anything like that. But it would make putting noticeably different from driving.

Would it be fun to try sometime?

Maybe not. Maybe just crackpot musings. I leave you to return to the millions of smaller basket threads.

There are, it seems, several hundred current threads, promoting smaller baskets and how they'll propel disc golf to the Big Time.

This is not one of them.

I've played mini golf. Perhaps some of you have, too. You know, throwing minis at those tiny baskets. We've even set up a 9-hole course, for a sideshow between tournament rounds (yes, with OB and elevated baskets and the rest). Putting minis into those little baskets is pretty tricky.

One thing those thousands of threads promoting small baskets have run into is this: in trying to emulate (ball) golf, the issue that in golf, putting is a very different venue from fairways, rolling a ball instead of sending it flying through the air. Disc golf can't make such a distinction.

But....what if we set mini baskets out on a normal-length course, and played with both standard discs and minis? Standard discs for distance and approaches, minis for putting. Anchoring the baskets so that a full size disc could stick, with a lot of luck, but at some point you might have to make the decision between laying up with a regular disc, or running the basket with a mini.

Not that it's going to catch on or bring fans or anything like that. But it would make putting noticeably different from driving.

Maybe not. Maybe just crackpot musings. I leave you to return to the millions of smaller basket threads.

If everyone wants to emulate golf, why not force each player to make their final shot of each hole with a putter and golf ball. That would make putting tougher for the pros for sure. ( I say thing tongue in cheek of course, lol, but figured I would take your example to an extreme)

Last edited:
If everyone wants to emulate golf, why not force each player to make their final shot of each hole with a putter and golf ball. That would make putting tougher for the pros for sure. ( I say thing tongue in cheek of course, lol, but figured I would take your example to and extreme)

I think changing your stroke style should be enough, since realistically if you were to attempt to drive a golf ball with a putter, it would still fly, and it is possible to putt with a driver... There's no rule about where to use each club.

I GOT IT! In disc golf, to putt you have to change your stroke too. Like you can't fall forward after you throw or something....

(This is basically me saying we already have more rules for our putts than ball golf.)

I'm not saying it's a solution to anything.

I'm just wondering if it would be fun to try, just for kicks.

I'm not saying it's a solution to anything.

I'm just wondering if it would be fun to try, just for kicks.

I would definitely give it a try, sounds like fun. I am so bad at mini's it would be fun to learn a new skill.

My comment was more directed at the folks complaining about putting being too easy. From my perspective that is the same as people saying free throws are too easy in basketball. Its only easy for the pros not the average Joe.

I'll try it on the 12 days a year that the wind is down in SE Wisconsin. Other than that, I need every bit of the 175g putter to put the odds in my favor.

I think changing your stroke style should be enough, since realistically if you were to attempt to drive a golf ball with a putter, it would still fly, and it is possible to putt with a driver... There's no rule about where to use each club.

I GOT IT! In disc golf, to putt you have to change your stroke too. Like you can't fall forward after you throw or something....

(This is basically me saying we already have more rules for our putts than ball golf.)

My buddy said he'd buy me lunch if I parred a 230 yard hole with just my putter. I hit it just short about 215 yards and had to go through thicker rough to get up and down, went over the green on the fringe then missed a 25 footer for the free food. :popcorn:

I would definitely give it a try, sounds like fun. I am so bad at mini's it would be fun to learn a new skill.

My comment was more directed at the folks complaining about putting being too easy. From my perspective that is the same as people saying free throws are too easy in basketball. Its only easy for the pros not the average Joe.

Yet they are still only 75% on avg from 15 feet. Our guys are like ~95-98%. So which one is actually too easy?

...it would be fun to try, just for kicks.
This is my thought. I think I'd enjoy every once in a while, if only fir the novelty and how would change up your strategizing because of how it changes the run it vs lay up equation.

I wouldn't want to do it too often, but I can see it being a kind of cool annual event, or one of many things during a longer event.

This is not one of them.

I'm up for anything once! Does any legal mini work? Id probably use one of those metal ones. Little more heft. I dunno.

Definitely isn't the dumbest post about baskets I've read.....

So, Paul should be using his mini here, is what you're saying.

picture.php

I did play a tournament a couple years ago with the larger maxi minis. They were popular a few years ago and Discraft was making drivers, fairways, midrange and putters. It was a ton of fun. I don't thing I would do it again, but still fun to give something new a try.

So, Paul should be using his mini here, is what you're saying.

picture.php
This kinda gets to my question. At what range do you switch? Is it simply the fact that you cannot hole out with the big disc? So you can choose to bang the putt with big disc in the big basket and then make a drop in? No hole in ones unless you drove with the mini?

Lol, you missed the important part. It's only easy for the pros. What is your average?

We are comparing touring pro to NBA pro. 75% to 95% on the low side, I could see some guys being 100% for an entire year. If free throws are easy what's a disc golf putt?

This is not one of them.

I think it would fun if there was some money at stake. Wouldn't do it just for fun though.

Latest posts