• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommended Disc Retriever?

Geer_Boggles

Par Member
After a brief search on the forums, couldn't find anything directly asking for recommendations on a disc retriever. So, here it is.

What has everyone had experience with and what do people prefer? Does anyone use one regularly? Should I even bother with one? Golden Retriever or Disc Claw or something else?

Thanks

I keep a Golden Retriever in my bag with me at all times. I have retrieved dozens of discs with it, not only from water but from over fences as well (assuming reasonable room to get yours hands through). There have been a couple of times I've wished for something with jaws, but for the most part the Golden Retriever has done the job.

I usually keep a golden retriever in the car. Most times I can get things out with a stick, if not i use the golden retriever after the round.

I also have a hooker, which is pretty sweet. It's just a little claw that you attach to a stick. It works remarkably well, and is easier to use for shorter retrievals. But if your disc is 30 feet out into a pond, the golden retriever is the only show in town really.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1998139804/hooker-an-ultra-portable-disc-golf-disc-retriever

If you play courses with a lot of water then you may want to get both the Golden Retriever and the Disc Gator. These two compliment each other well and you should be able to get the majority of your discs back.

* Golden Retriever - Works best on smooth bottom water areas with decent visibility. Cast it past your disc and slowly pull it back in scooping up your disc on the way. Not so good on rocky bottoms or muddy/murky water.

* Disc Gator - Great for quick pick ups within 10-12 feet range, able to grab from rocky bottoms but a lot less range than Retriever. Also works great for discs stuck up in trees.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Question on the Golden Retriever, I hear that visibility is necessary for the effective use of this thing but the ponds I play in are usually pretty murky. Is there much of a chance to obtain the disc with this even if you can't see it? Would it be worth it to crack a beer and go fishing?

I have carried a golden retriever for 3 years now (love it), but rarely do I get discs that I cant see (probably less than 5 occurrences out of a +100 retrieved discs). Its way more difficult as you have to be fairly close to dead center and you have to know a disc is hooked.

I use a rake and tie a long rope to it when looking for discs in murky water. A guy around here made his own 2-sided rake that works great.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Question on the Golden Retriever, I hear that visibility is necessary for the effective use of this thing but the ponds I play in are usually pretty murky. Is there much of a chance to obtain the disc with this even if you can't see it? Would it be worth it to crack a beer and go fishing?

In my experience with mine, I need to at least be able to see part of the disc. Once it disappears into the murk, I don't have the patience to keep making random passes with the retriever with no idea whether I'm even close to it or not

I carry a golden retriever and found it works pretty well for the most part. As others have said its best if you can see the disc but I have managed to recover a few that I couldn't see right away when I bothered to spend the time.

Never was able to retrieve a single disc with the Golden Retriever, but the Disc Gator has paid for itself dozens of times at this point.

I keep both the Golden Retriever and a Disc Gator (w/ 11ft tent poles) in my bag.
The Gator is more versatile and usually quicker to use.
The GR has more range (I have an extra 25 ft of rope with me), and has definitely gotten discs I never would have reached with the Gator. It takes a while to develop good GR technique, but I've gotten decent at tossing it where it needs to go. Sometimes when the toss is off a bit, I can walk several feet along the bank to change the angle it approaches the disc from, without having to pull in an empty line and re-throw. Like anything else, it's a skill you develop.

FP is spot on when he says:
These two compliment each other well and you should be able to get the majority of your discs back.

Last edited:
I have both the retriever and the gator. I've had more success with the gator but its reach is more limited. The retriever can go further but you need good conditions (clearish water) and patience with it.

Swimsuit and river shoes. Get them all.

That said, I carry the Golden Retriever with me and have recovered dozens of discs with it. Worth the $$$

The Golden Retriever has a knack for finding discs that aren't mine. I've pulled out more discs I didn't know about than mine so far. You don't have to see it for it to get a disc but it is a complete stab in the dark. You have to learn some technique to toss it out and reel it in for greatest effect. The worst part is the line will knot itself mid-cast at least 49329838 *$&#*($ times.

The Golden Retriever has a knack for finding discs that aren't mine. I've pulled out more discs I didn't know about than mine so far. You don't have to see it for it to get a disc but it is a complete stab in the dark. You have to learn some technique to toss it out and reel it in for greatest effect. The worst part is the line will knot itself mid-cast at least 49329838 *$&#*($ times.

It's all about how you train your retriever Dave. It's important to first let it get the scent of your plastic... otherwise it doesn't know which discs to bring back.

Also important to praise it for bringing back the right disc, with a "Who's a good boy?!" and an enthusiastic pay on the head.

See if that doesn't improve your return rate.

Last edited:
Never was able to retrieve a single disc with the Golden Retriever, but the Disc Gator has paid for itself dozens of times at this point.
Yup. With a disc gator and a pair of chest waders I found 40+ discs last year, which paid for a portable basket and a bunch of new plastic.

Latest posts