• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Replacing my Woodchuck

93EXCivic

Double Eagle Member
I want to replace my Woodchuck in my bag as it isn't really working for me for its purpose anymore. I like having a floppy putter for upshots where a roll away is really bad. The Woodchuck is understable and while it flies beautiful for turnovers and downhill shots, I'd rather have something with a reliable fade for this utility spot.

I was thinking Vibram Sole or VP in Soft, Blunt Gumputt or Soft Magnet. Which one would you recommend or something completely different? How do these discs fair in the wind?

You need an Omega SS. Go for the big bead mold if you want something a little more overstable. A soft Tank would also be a good choice. They have less glide than the Omega and sit down nicely.

You just need to bug Jamie for another run of ArmorFlex Scales. :thmbup: If you really want, I've got an extra as well. Very soft and flexible, sticks where it hits almost as well as a Nova, and is OS enough to always have that beautiful Scale fade. However, these are not as OS as the Domey Armor Scales or Fossil Scales - just OS enough to fit the bill.

Trilogy (DD and Lat64) came out with the megasoft discs, and they are just floppy rubber-like discs. I held one at PIAS and could not stand it (I prefer firm/stiff discs, especially putters, and use Zero Hard/Classic (Hard). If it's mega-soft you want, check out the Judge or Warden or Pure in these mega-soft substances.

Pure now comes in Megasoft. I like how gentile my soft Pure lands. I expect the Megasoft to land mega gentle.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I prefer hard putters but I like having super soft disc for this utility spot. I want something softer then BT/Zero soft.

The Omega SS feels like an Avair and I have never really liked the feel of an Aviar.

The Pure is awkward in my hand. I may look at the Warden or Judge in Megasoft. I am not sure they are quite want I want in terms of flight. The Judge was my first putter until I found the Polecat. I want something with Scale type overstability.

How soft is the ArmorFlex Scale? Like fold in half soft? I am not sure that Jamie would do another run considering the success rate he said they had with molding those.

How soft is a soft Tank? Fold in half soft?

What about a blowfly? Floppy and grippy, decent stability if I remember correctly.

What about a blowfly? Floppy and grippy, decent stability if I remember correctly.

I believe the Blunt Gumputt is more overstable but I could be wrong. I am not sure what the differences between the Gumputt and Blowfly is.

OP answered his own question in the first post... Soft VP. 'Get to the ground' overstability, SUUUUPER soft and floppy, and a deeper, yet comfortable grip.

Gumbputts and Blowflys have a weird slanted inner rim configuration that makes them feel nothing like a standard disc. It works for some, but I gave my Blowfly away after the first round I played with it. Just felt way too funky in the hand.

Stability of Vibram putters:
V.P. - beaded, overstable
Ridge - smaller bead than V.P., middle
Summit - smaller bead than Ridge, understable
Sole - no bead, kinda Magnet-ish feel, mid to overstable

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try out the VP, Blunt Gumputt and maybe a Soft Tank if the other two don't work (not sure that one is as soft as I want though). If RDG does another run of ArmorFlex Scales, I will grab one of those but based on previous posts I am not sure that will happen.

I like these;
TarPit Scale
BT Soft Harp
Soft X Challenger

I have bagged all thee, the first two I could use anytime.

Latest posts