• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

52506520889_e032719f39_c.jpg

This makes me so happy.

Looking for an overstable approach in the Rhyno/Berg/Pig category of OS and glideless. I threw Scales a while back and liked them, but my bad form led me to throw other discs. I finally got my act together and figured out how to throw Aviar P&As well, so I'm back looking for an approach disc.

I really like gateway plastic so I'm back looking at either the Devil Hawk or Scale. Any opinions on one or the other? Obviously the DH is shallower, but are they comparable?

Do you want overstable or do your want high speed stability?

The Scale is a great disc for when you want your approach to fade like a Rhyno, the Serpent is the disc you throw straight at the basket and watch it drop like a Berg. The armors in the store right now are amazing and fly much like my semi worn k2 bergs. Biggest difference is it goes about 20' further than the bergs. They also cut wind a little better even though they may have the slightest bit more turn than a berg, the added speed keeps them from slowing down and coming up short into headwinds like berg can surprise you with. Added bonus with the serpent is its beadless and many prefer that for FH.

Do you want overstable or do your want high speed stability?

The Scale is a great disc for when you want your approach to fade like a Rhyno, the Serpent is the disc you throw straight at the basket and watch it drop like a Berg. The armors in the store right now are amazing and fly much like my semi worn k2 bergs. Biggest difference is it goes about 20' further than the bergs. They also cut wind a little better even though they may have the slightest bit more turn than a berg, the added speed keeps them from slowing down and coming up short into headwinds like berg can surprise you with. Added bonus with the serpent is its beadless and many prefer that for FH.

Good distinction-- for my game, a Zone-like disc isn't as important to have, but I'd like a little bit of stability to cut through wind. But honestly, this would be more of a general approach disc than a super overstable one. The JK Aviars I through do good work on a hyzer angle, but they glide for days so I'm looking for something that will drop

Good distinction-- for my game, a Zone-like disc isn't as important to have, but I'd like a little bit of stability to cut through wind. But honestly, this would be more of a general approach disc than a super overstable one. The JK Aviars I through do good work on a hyzer angle, but they glide for days so I'm looking for something that will drop

If you are headed to reptilians website to pick up a scale get one of those armor serpents too. It it point and shoot and hand handle approach powered shots flat into some wind. They excel when you have good nose angle control as you can really control when they drop where other discs will glide out.

If you are headed to reptilians website to pick up a scale get one of those armor serpents too. It it point and shoot and hand handle approach powered shots flat into some wind. They excel when you have good nose angle control as you can really control when they drop where other discs will glide out.

I'll give them a shot, thank you!

Anyone know the differences and commonalities between the RDG Scale, RDG Serpent, AGL Madrone, and AGL Manzanita? Shape and flight.

Anyone know the differences and commonalities between the RDG Scale, RDG Serpent, AGL Madrone, and AGL Manzanita? Shape and flight.

Okay, Jamie confirmed that they are all the RDG too with...

Scale: Wizard bottom
Serpent: Magic bottom
Madrone: Voodoo bottom
Manzanita: Warlock bottom

It all makes sense now! So cool. Now, how do these all differ in flight? I have them all besides the Serpent but haven't thrown em against each other yet. I foresee a dynamic approach game with some combo of all these...

They all have the same top. The Scale has the Wizard wing and is the most OS, it's my crutch putt and approach. Whenever it's windy or I lose my touch and I'm throwing my main putter all over the place, the good old Scale is there to bail me out with that predictable hyzer flight. Manzanita has the Warlock wing and starts really close to the Scale but beats in straighter, out of the box they are really close IMO. Madrone has the Voodoo wing; I've never thrown one. Serpent has the Magic wing and it's dead stable, controlable goodness.

Okay, Jamie confirmed that they are all the RDG top with...

Scale: Wizard bottom
Serpent: Magic bottom
Madrone: Voodoo bottom
Manzanita: Warlock bottom

It all makes sense now! So cool. Now, how do these all differ in flight? I have them all besides the Serpent but haven't thrown em against each other yet. I foresee a dynamic approach game with some combo of all these...

They all have the same top. The Scale has the Wizard wing and is the most OS, it's my crutch putt and approach. Whenever it's windy or I lose my touch and I'm throwing my main putter all over the place, the good old Scale is there to bail me out with that predictable hyzer flight. Manzanita has the Warlock wing and starts really close to the Scale but beats in straighter, out of the box they are really close IMO. Madrone has the Voodoo wing; I've never thrown one. Serpent has the Magic wing and it's dead stable, controlable goodness.

Totally missed your response before I answered my own question! Thanks dude!

I have a hope that at least 3 of these can be bagged without too much crossover. Also depends on the plastic. Gonna solve this puzzle. Still need to get some Serpents. My hope is that the Serpent ends up a Madrone -25 feet. That being said, I haven't even thrown my Madrones yet, I've only tried putting with them! This RDG top goodness is all so new to me still.

Been a few years since I've thrown a Manzanita or Madrone, so grain of salt here, but iirc the Madrone is the fastest and deepest of the set with less HSS but more LSF than a Serpent.

Manzanitas beat in the fastest of the four molds and will actually get some flip/stand-up but have the cleanest FH release. More glide and less fade than a Scale out of the box.

Voodoos are the best pairing to a Scale. They fly like an extremely beat-in Scale (or a Scale flies like a super-OS Voodoo) and feel/look like a Scale with the bead worn off.

Last edited:
The serpent is the gem out of the group imo, though the top is amazing and I want to see it on more discs (is the stego bottom the same diameter? Sounds like a zone killer). It powers down as nicely as it powers up. I love discs that display similar traits at different speeds. Throw a serpent flat and it will go straight. You will see a little turn on a full rip, especially with some oat (it is a putter still) and you will always see a minimal fade.
I haven't tried a manzanita since I never loved the warlock feel, despite it having an amazing flight. The madrone could slot in my bag and cover some of my envy shots, but I do like the distance of the envy and don't really like agl a ton… (though I do carry a cedar instead of a spirit at very high elevation, the carnivore may make that irrelevant). Hope that wasn't too ramble-y it's early and my youngest didn't let me sleep much.

The serpent is the gem out of the group imo, though the top is amazing and I want to see it on more discs (is the stego bottom the same diameter? Sounds like a zone killer). It powers down as nicely as it powers up. I love discs that display similar traits at different speeds. Throw a serpent flat and it will go straight. You will see a little turn on a full rip, especially with some oat (it is a putter still) and you will always see a minimal fade.
I haven't tried a manzanita since I never loved the warlock feel, despite it having an amazing flight. The madrone could slot in my bag and cover some of my envy shots, but I do like the distance of the envy and don't really like agl a ton… (though I do carry a cedar instead of a spirit at very high elevation, the carnivore may make that irrelevant). Hope that wasn't too ramble-y it's early and my youngest didn't let me sleep much.

Ha! I hadn't even mentioned my Envys because I consider them a step up in distance from the RDG tops. A new category really. I essentially consider them mids. I love em. I hope to bag them as a step up from whatever RDG tops I end up bagging. I typically bag a Neutron Soft Envy at minimum for BH and FH duties. I also love my R-Pro Cro and my PModel US+... And I just picked up a Neutron soft Proxy to pair with the Envy. I think it goes without saying that going to have to eliminate a disc that I love at some point when my bag is fully redesigned. I do like going nearly full clubs on shots as opposed to powering down though. I think its more consistent. That's how I convince myself to bag a bunch of throwing putters haha. That being said, there's nothing better than throwing putters. On my main course I can legitimately go rounds without throwing a mid or a fairway driver. I could bag drivers and throwing putters only.

Last edited:
Ha! I hadn't even mentioned my Envys because I consider them a step up in distance from the RDG tops. A new category really. I essentially consider them mids. I love em. I hope to bag them as a step up from whatever RDG tops I end up bagging. I typically bag a Neutron Soft Envy at minimum for BH and FH duties. I also love my R-Pro Cro and my PModel US+... And I just picked up a Neutron soft Proxy to pair with the Envy. I think it goes without saying that going to have to eliminate a disc that I love at some point when my bag is fully redesigned. I do like going nearly full clubs on shots as opposed to powering down though. I think its more consistent. That's how I convince myself to bag a bunch of throwing putters haha. That being said, there's nothing better than throwing putters. On my main course I can legitimately go rounds without throwing a mid or a fairway driver. I could bag drivers and throwing putters only.

The envy is definitely a step closer to a mid. I obviously feel there's room to bag both. The iguana actually is challenging the envy more than scales/serpents do.

New run of Scales in the books!

We have Tar Pit, Fossil and GLOW!

These Scales shaped up better than any prior run. They have tighter shoulders than typical with this top. They also have slight puddle tops.

Fossil turned out pretty stiff, nicely grippy and definitely has a nice dose of the classic Talc infusion that Fossil always has.

I can't can't wait for you guys to check these out!

New run of Scales in the books!

We have Tar Pit, Fossil and GLOW!

These Scales shaped up better than any prior run. They have tighter shoulders than typical with this top. They also have slight puddle tops.

Fossil turned out pretty stiff, nicely grippy and definitely has a nice dose of the classic Talc infusion that Fossil always has.

I can't can't wait for you guys to check these out!

That sounds awesome, I need to get one of these to compare against my super old Tarpit Scale!

Glow Scale? That's a surprise. Just another disc that going on my next order with my Tarpit Scales and Serpents.

Ok, I am back in love with this mold. Like many others I jumped on the Berg hype train and that booted the scale from my bag for awhile but I switched them back out for the last few rounds and I fell right back in love.

I'm using an old Jeff Goldblum fossil scale and was threading gaps today with a light flex and the scale was just settling right where I wanted it.

So my question is if I want the most stable hit and stick scale out there now am I looking at tarpit? Don't need stego stability but something I can shape those tight approaches and not risk much ground play.

The new tar pits are plenty stable, and borderline puddle top which feels amazing for FH. They aren't quite as beef as a flat stiff fossil or armor, but still plenty of beef.

Scale-Serpent covers so much more than the berg. I am a happy boy.

Latest posts