• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reshaping a Disc?

norcalmofo

I threw my new Buzz and it struck a tree dead on. It warped it a little bit which messed up its proper flight pattern. Does anyone know how to reshape it?

I threw my new Buzz and it struck a tree dead on. It warped it a little bit which messed up its proper flight pattern. Does anyone know how to reshape it?

I had a disc that got bent really bad in the mail. If you put it under some warm running wanter and place it under a stack of phone books for a few days, it will help quite a bit.

Josh Thomas, BG Ams Champ, puts his in the dishwasher all the time just to clean them. To reset I'll put boiling water in the disc for a while and press with constant weight for a good while. It may flatten the disc, or flare the ridges, but still better than throwing a taco(you want sour cream on that?).

The easiest way to reshape a "taco" is to turn it upside down, put a small layer of water on it and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. This should evaporate the water and soften the plastic. Then you can reshape it easily. May sound goofy, but I got the method from some local pro and it works for me.

If you are living in mostly sunny area like CA or FL or any southern area, then you can leave the disc outside in the sun all day. It will make the disc softer and form into its shape of your choosing by either leaving it upside down or vice versa. Using books to weight it down can help too but don't forget to check on it once in a while or it will be totally messed up and useless.

The easiest way to reshape a "taco" is to turn it upside down, put a small layer of water on it and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. This should evaporate the water and soften the plastic. Then you can reshape it easily. May sound goofy, but I got the method from some local pro and it works for me.

True, but ya gotta look out for metallic stamps.

I just bend them back. If a disc can't take a tree hit IMO it isn't worth throwing. Most of the discs I carry get better as they beat up anyway.

I realize it's an old thread, but if the hot water and a stack of text books doesn't take the taco out of your plastic, are there any other recommendations out there? Seeing as it's still very much Winter in PA, I'm going to be hard-pressed to put it on a hot sidewalk.

If the disc is truly taco'ed and has a visible bend in the plastic, you are probably out of luck.
I had one like that, and I worked on that disc several different ways - all involving hot water.
Nothing worked.
What helped the most was laying it in a large, microwaveable bowl, pour some water in and microwave it until it boils for a while.