• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Retro Plastic Disc Sets

On ebay you can buy individuals of each retro disc and pick your colors/weights. ~$10 a piece shipped isnt bad. Got a red retro fury earlier this week from there.

On ebay you can buy individuals of each retro disc and pick your colors/weights. ~$10 a piece shipped isnt bad. Got a red retro fury earlier this week from there.
I may dig a stack of retro mercys in the summer since my eze's are softening up a little with age. I was planning on a few more emac ones, but those may be the ticket.

Bump!

Any of these sets in your hands of in the air perhaps?

Still want to grab a set but, I have a few more important wants at the moment.

I don't think the DGCR crowd is their target demographic.
But I've seen three people out throwing these in the past couple weeks. Considering how bad the weather is here, that's actually pretty significant.
-one guy was using his Retro Claymore a lot at the last tournament I played
-one group I saw at my local course had one fellow who looked like he was just starting and all he had was the Retro set
-one local who is really good bought a bunch of the Prime Judges and says they are his favorite iteration of said disc

I received a Prime Judge in a players pack recently and I will tell you that it is seasoning beautifully. For a putter it gets those old school chain marks around the rim. It's a great putter and its been getting lots of use. I was impressed enough with the plastic that I picked up a Prime Truth to season. Out of the box it's board flat and stable. Really looking forward to seeing if it will season into a turnover disc without becoming overly flippy.

I'll also add that the feel of the Prime/Retro plastic is a tactile delight. If you have had a chance to handle these in the store you will know. The grip when damp is about the best of any plastic I have ever felt. It blows Dx out of the water in terms of look and feel.

I'll also add that the feel of the Prime/Retro plastic is a tactile delight. If you have had a chance to handle these in the store you will know. The grip when damp is about the best of any plastic I have ever felt. It blows Dx out of the water in terms of look and feel.

So glad to hear that. I just played the worst round of my life in pouring rain, at least in part because I couldn't hang on to anything. Glad Trilogy has at least a few discs in that plastic. More would be nice for us folks playing in the PNW!

I throw mostly GL in drivers and that stuff is slippery when wet, you better have dry towels somewhere at hand when you try to use them in any drizzle or rainy conditions.

I still haven't made the plunge yet, I have had other disc priorities to pursue lately.

I have been eying a set from ThirdCoast though...:D

Last edited:
Ya, I'll definitely pick up a few prime Truths and some heavy retro furys. If Trilogy doesn't put out some distance drivers with grip pretty soon then the Trilogy experiment might be over for me pretty shortly.

I can't play with any of the trilogy premium discs in bad weather. You can try to dry your discs, but in the pouring rain that will only help so much.

I miss all my innova pro and even last years star plastic so much right now.

bought a witness and a judge in prime recently. i frickin' LOVE the judge. i throw understable discs (holler, yeti's in the bag), and have thrown understable putters up until this point. i steered clear of the judge for that reason. but, man, that thing flies straight for 20-25 feet. all i have to do is get it going in the right direction and height. it glides, but not too much. now, what i have to decide is whether i want to get one in premium plastic, or if i should stick with the prime :).

Swans are very similar to judges and come in baseline graded by stiffness. Soft Swans are pretty sick for upshots. Judges come in every plastic DD can think of, so there's lots of stuff to try there too. I really like my fluid judge.

As long as its dry out. :wall:

Ya, I'll definitely pick up a few prime Truths and some heavy retro furys. If Trilogy doesn't put out some distance drivers with grip pretty soon then the Trilogy experiment might be over for me pretty shortly.

I can't play with any of the trilogy premium discs in bad weather. You can try to dry your discs, but in the pouring rain that will only help so much.

I miss all my innova pro and even last years star plastic so much right now.

I always found Star slippery, certainly more than VIP/Opto - did you try the Frost/Elasto stuff yet?

Yep. Fluid and Frost are not and better in the rain for grip. Cold yes, rain no.

Not all of my star plastic has that tacky quality, but the stuff that does is money. I have some Starlite like that too.

The best I could do was pink opto yesterday. That was slightly more grippy than anything else, but it was miserable. If Trilogy isn't going to get on it with baseline drivers I'll be mixing my bag in the rain or just switching to innova / DC that I can throw in any condition.

I have always thought Pro-D was about the grippiest stuff when wet. I think the Retro is grippier than DX, but haven't compared it directly to Pro-D.

Innova's r-pro and stiff pro are the best I've felt in the rain. BT medium is probably next. Anything that has that slightly rubbery tacky feeling will work great.

Agreed that Frost plastic is MISERABLE when wet. It's worse than Opto and just as bad as Gold. At least some of the Opto is firm enough that you can sort of grip lightly and "fake" your shot. With Frost and Gold, you're pretty much hosed. The Prime plastic (and Bt) is definitely the grippiest of the lot when wet and it's not even close. The Truth I picked up in Prime has definitely lost a lot of its HSS fairly quickly (expected for a Truth) but retained a good amount of it's LSS. I beat on it pretty good one day throwing in some trees just to see what it can do. I am hoping that it is the kind of plastic that wears into a point and then stays there for a little while. I could see playing rainy rounds with just a Prime Judge, Truth and a Bt Harp. It would be great if they would make a Prime Thief since it seems like we are not likely to see any Bt Stags anytime soon and I can't see much use for a Prime Witness. Better yet, a Prime Felon would be the business.

Retro Fury seems like the closest to that right now. I'm not sure what the release schedule is like for retro/prime, or if they are stopping with what they have.

My top requests for prime would be Felon, Trespass, Enforcer, and Verdict. In that order.

Latest posts