• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

returning marked discs

The sad reality of it is that many disc golfers are young, immature a$$holes. I'll be completely honest, I used to be part of that demographic. I'm not a saint, but luckily my code of ethics has changed over the years.

If you find a disc and call the number when you get done and the phone is disconnected or out of service, what do you do?
I have a disc sitting on my shelf at home, I called the owner 3 times and the number is "no longer in service". What would you do?

As others have said, I'd say it's yours. Maybe make a note of the name. I had this happen with someone's DX Roc. I kept it in my car cuz it seemed like a disc someone might miss. A week or so later, I met someone on the course who knew the guy, who also happened to be there playing. My only regret is that I didn't give it a throw before the owner got it back.

Returned a marked disc today when everyone else in the group told me to keep it. Feelsgoodman

Returned a marked disc today when everyone else in the group told me to keep it. Feelsgoodman
mkultra as a name! love it.
I give back what I can, and don't even ink mine. Don't lose enough to care. Can't throw that far. Somehow this thread has avoided the he said/she said slope. Bizarre.

I live in eastern Washington state. All mine are tagged. Have had all dry land losses returned. Water not as much, but they may not have been dredged up -- I think that those that go mucking in the mud, scuba them, or risk rapids, feel that they have "earned" them.

That being said, I had one returned from a vacation at Mt. Rainier (Crystal Mountain), and one a few weeks ago that was lost in a pond near Orlando, FL! I sent the guy $10 to send it back via USPS. Disc is about $20 new -- if I threw DX, I wouldn't bother unless it had memories tied to it.

Here's one to incite forum rage.

Couple years back I found an unmarked disc which I knew for a fact had been lost in the past few hours. I had been through the specific area of the specific hole earlier that day. I asked three out of the four groups on the course at that time if they had lost it. After asking the third group I calculated I was a "good enough Samaritin" and having already spent 45 min and walked over a mile just approaching strangers my good intentions were exhausted for the day.

I decided not to approach the fourth group because after putting so much effort into trying to do the right thing and not accomplishing task I no longer wanted to return the disc.

Personally I always text if I find a disc with a readable number and generally just drop it off at the lost and found bucket at the local disc shop.

I have lost three disc and had 2 returned (although one was a lot worst for wear).

After years of frustration attempting to return discs to numbers no longer in service or golfers who can't seem to figure out the "I'm putting it under this trash can, you can get it if you want it" kind of arrangements I got tired of failing to return discs.

Now, when I find a lost disc (which happens a lot) I check for a name -- If there's a name and if I know the person (which happens a lot) I give it back to them. If there's no name or I don't know the person (which happens a lot), I just put it right back where it was as if I never saw it. I know -- but after dozens of hassles trying to return discs it just got silly --- there's still a guy that emails me asking about when I'm going to be at a local course since he's missed meeting me the last three times I've been there . . . I'm old -- it just shouldn't be that difficult.

Additionally, as the years have gone on there's really not a disc that I care too much about to worry about getting returned to me. There's a pond on a local course that I've gotten the same disc back from 3 different times . . . it's great that I get it back, but it's a beat sidewinder -- not the toughest disc to replace!

Ive stopped trying to return discs. If its a name that I recognize, sure Ill give em a call, but other than that I dont even bother. I dont keep them. I just set up a safari hole and throw it to another basket, then just finish my round.

Ive stopped trying to return discs. If its a name that I recognize, sure Ill give em a call, but other than that I dont even bother. I dont keep them. I just set up a safari hole and throw it to another basket, then just finish my round.

If you're going to do that, just leave it where you found it. What if it was the guy in front of you? Then he comes back for his disc after you hucked it to a different hole and thinks it was taken.

If you're going to do that, just leave it where you found it. What if it was the guy in front of you? Then he comes back for his disc after you hucked it to a different hole and thinks it was taken.

Seriously, right?

As for the disc return % in Los Angeles, I'd say they were pretty high around here. I know I always make the effort to return any disc I've found marked with contact info. I'll mail it gratis too, nbd. People always offer to PayPay me, though. What goes around comes around. Sounds like some other areas have pretty miserable disc return %'s. Sad.

I know I see tons of found discs on local clubs' FB pages, from folks looking to reunite the discs with the original owners - Oak Grove DGC, specifically.

As for my discs that I've lost, if I can't find them, they're a write off. If anyone contacts me about a lost disc of mine, I consider that a bonus. Two exceptions: a few years ago, I got contacted by someone at La Mirada DGC who, I guess, was known to dredge the lake there for lost discs and then shake down the original owners for their discs. Anyway, she told me she had my disc and I could get it back for $10. I told her to keep it. I think she was homeless. Definitely not a player. The other exception was on the positive side: once I absentmindedly left my bag that I use to carry around my 10 practice putters and some other gear at the course at Chavez Ridge. Someone contacted me after I got home and told me he picked up the bag for me and was holding onto it for me. So I went to his apartment and exchanged a 12 pack (unsolicited) for my bag of 10 putters.

Just returned a swirly AJ star TB to a guy this weekend.

Had just lost it and a friend of his was on the course. It was a pretty one, but if you have those swirly star discs, probably don't throw them in the woods.

I keep them all. I plan to melt them all down and use the gooey melted plastic to create an effigy to the disc golf gods, in the form of Ragna making out with Cat.

Just had a guy leave me a voicemail saying he found the Pro Destroyer I lost about a week ago at the Benicia, CA course. I really appreciated the call so I texted him back and told him to keep it. I love my Destroyers, but I think Pro plastic may be a little too flippy for me (which is how I lost it in the first place, I think). I just ordered an Echostar and a regular Star Destroyer to replace the Pro and then about an hour later got the call. He sounded like he was a Destroyer fan, so I'm just glad it went to someone who will enjoy it.

Just had a guy leave me a voicemail saying he found the Pro Destroyer I lost about a week ago at the Benicia, CA course. I really appreciated the call so I texted him back and told him to keep it. I love my Destroyers, but I think Pro plastic may be a little too flippy for me (which is how I lost it in the first place, I think). I just ordered an Echostar and a regular Star Destroyer to replace the Pro and then about an hour later got the call. He sounded like he was a Destroyer fan, so I'm just glad it went to someone who will enjoy it.

I did the same with my DX Beast and TeeBird. Basically, whomever found it, got to keep it. My Beast was left in a box at the Squirrel Creek DGC in Grass Valley. Then I get a call from a person calling in my lost disc at a different location. It reminds me of tracking those $1 bills on WheresGeorge.com.

I did the same with my DX Beast and TeeBird. Basically, whomever found it, got to keep it. My Beast was left in a box at the Squirrel Creek DGC in Grass Valley. Then I get a call from a person calling in my lost disc at a different location. It reminds me of tracking those $1 bills on WheresGeorge.com.

Gave me an excuse to try some new plastic, so there's that... I've always wanted to try echostar anyway.

There have been a few folks now in this thread who have stated they do not mark their discs at all. Asking those folks, do you you not play in sanctioned tournaments?

Gave me an excuse to try some new plastic, so there's that... I've always wanted to try echostar anyway.

I have Echo Star Leopards, TeeBirds and one Katana. Very stable out of the box. Gotta love that. Even my Echo Star Roadrunner, before I lost it, was dead straight and took a lot of torque to get it to turnover. That was good for when I rolled it. Amazing roller distance.

I have Echo Star Leopards, TeeBirds and one Katana. Very stable out of the box. Gotta love that. Even my Echo Star Roadrunner, before I lost it, was dead straight and took a lot of torque to get it to turnover. That was good for when I rolled it. Amazing roller distance.

I've heard that Echostar beats in a little faster than Star. Not as fast as DX or Pro, but a little faster than regular Star. Would this be your experience as well? My plan is to beat the Echostar into a turnover disc and use the regular Star (4X PM version Star, if that makes a difference) for hyzer/OS shots only.

Latest posts