• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH Technicalities

littleshoe

Bogey Member
Mostly a RHFH thrower but been developing my BH for the last several months. Some questions for you seasoned guys...

I throw either with planted feet or with my back facing the target. Lately I've preferred planted because it feels a bit more accurate. Anyway, when I throw with a plant I line my hips up with the target (sometimes to the left if I'm hitting a bit off consistently that day) I reach as far to my left as I comfortably can with disc in hand then pull the disc across my body and bring it into my chest releasing on the other side snapping my arm in a whip like fashion. I honestly don't think that much about follow through so I can't answer those questions yet... I'm tossing around 300-320 consistently and with about a 75% accuracy. Thoughts? Comments? Anything atrociously wrong?

Thanks

300' plus from a standstill is sweet. You are beyond my help. Congrats on the progress. Just up that accuracy and you will be money.

If you are throwing 300+ with feet planted thats pretty good. What happens when you X-step?

During that 25% is there anything you notice yourself repeatedly doing to mess up a shot? Or is it just random things?

During that 25% is there anything you notice yourself repeatedly doing to mess up a shot? Or is it just random things?

What I've noticed may not say much....

I'll either be swinging the disc out instead of bringing it into my chest or it feels like a sloppy release or sloppy execution so my arm flails a little behind me before release.

Mostly a RHFH thrower but been developing my BH for the last several months. Some questions for you seasoned guys...

I throw either with planted feet or with my back facing the target. Lately I've preferred planted because it feels a bit more accurate. Anyway, when I throw with a plant I line my hips up with the target (sometimes to the left if I'm hitting a bit off consistently that day) I reach as far to my left as I comfortably can with disc in hand then pull the disc across my body and bring it into my chest releasing on the other side snapping my arm in a whip like fashion. I honestly don't think that much about follow through so I can't answer those questions yet... I'm tossing around 300-320 consistently and with about a 75% accuracy. Thoughts? Comments? Anything atrociously wrong?

Thanks

I recommend walking up on a shot...but don't stop using a planted drive....you are right as far as accuracy and control...as the technique is good to use in tight situations that you can not utilize space.

You are throwing fairly far...try different discs, release points(where is your thumbnail when the disc comes out?), release directions(aim to the left and up), and do you use enough snap for certain shots or certain discs you are using.

I would say you are getting the most distance when your shot is landing fairly free of skip...meaning you are burning off all the speed and glide the disc is capable of

The times I have tried a X-step my accuracy is gone. I've taken it out with thoughts of implementing it later when I get everything more consistent.

That's definitely the right idea when figuring out form, keep it as simple as possible and work from the hit back. One thing you could try, if you're not doing it already, is lift up your lead foot and keep your back foot planted, and step into the throw.

I'll either be swinging the disc out instead of bringing it into my chest or it feels like a sloppy release or sloppy execution so my arm flails a little behind me before release.

The release issues will probably clear themselves up with practice. If you're familiar with the right pec drill, do that 20 times before practicing throws. I have a problem with bringing the disc too far in front of me at times, and when you do the right pec drill it makes you realize how much power you rob yourself of by doing that.

post a video of yourself throwing. much more advice can be given based on the visual aid.

You have to follow through! With out it, there's a strong chance you are sawing off your drives or compensating. Even with a standstill, focus on getting your weight over your plant, pulling in to the body, and following through.

Latest posts