• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH technique... from the ground up

This part sounds incredibly difficult: changing the speed of your shoulder rotation. Rotate to parallel, slow down so the arm can catch up, then continue with the rotation faster than any before it. Is there any kind of a special mechanism to make this happen? Is it the opposing inertia of the arm/disc? Or do you just manually do it?
It's manual and it is kind of difficult. It's also a really common timing error. There are some visualizations I've heard like thinking of elbowing something in front of you, but I have an easier time thinking of slowing down my shoulders for a bit rather than thinking of speeding up my elbow.

I'm trying to find a ball golf swing analogue, but I don't think I've ever heard of anything like this. There has been so much professional work done on the mechanics of the golf swing that I think if I can bridge the gap, so to speak, I can translate what I know. The only thing I can think of is that the incredible opposing rotational force caused when you fire the clubhead forward with your rear arm and wrist will have the effect of slowing down the shoulder turn. This is not discussed anywhere, but it may happen. Perhaps it is time to look at some high-speed film of Tiger... again...
I'm not sure that it can't be taught, but it's something that no one has found a good to teach yet. I also don't know nearly enough about a golf swing to help with that.

Blake is suggesting that he's found a way that might work better, but he's apparently still testing it. I guess it works really well for sidearm and overhand throws but he hasn't found the best way to translate it to backhand yet. It sounds like it's more of a way to rethink your focus to help with timing rather than trying to teach the actual timing itself.

your hand should be in the same position as if you were giving someone a hand shake. try not to roll your wrist over so the palm faces up.
Correct. Throwing hyzers that don't flatten at all with really understable discs will help fix that. Start as short as you have to and gradually learn to throw them farther and farther.

Blake is suggesting that he's found a way that might work better, but he's apparently still testing it. I guess it works really well for sidearm and overhand throws but he hasn't found the best way to translate it to backhand yet. It sounds like it's more of a way to rethink your focus to help with timing rather than trying to teach the actual timing itself.
I actually saw this over on DGR also... I'm excited to hear what it is.

in the same boat as you OP i'm maxing out at 325-350, all arm, so i'm cleaning up my technique. subscribing to this thread to help my back hand out!

Latest posts