• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] River replaced with Meteor?

chazman07

Par Member
I was throwing today and hitting a lot of my River lines with Meteors. I started throwing multiples and the Meteors were not far behind. I'm thinking Rivers are gone.

The Meteor is pretty fast, but I don't really see the two as interchangeable. The River seems like a neutral fairway driver, and the Meteor is an understable mid. Whatever works, though.

Seems like throwing a a fresh meteor and a fresh river side by side the same distance would result in the meteor finishing further right. (RHBH)

If it works for you, go for it. Personally, I max out at 275' on mids, and I can hit ~325' pretty easily with Rivers, so there's a big difference for me. But, of course, everybody's different.

What's with all the River hate.
I1SM0Xm.gif

Yes, the Meteor is less stable than the River, but I use PDs for all but tailwind drives anyway. I was hyzer flipping Meteors like a champ today. The Meteors have enough glide to run low lines, and I just ordered a Z for straight shots. I'm thinking Z, ESP, and beat ESP will cover a lot! And they seem to bridge the gap I have between mids and PDs.

Basically my bag is this:
Wizard, Zone, Wasp, Buzzz, Meteor, PD, FB, Trespass, Giant

Yes, the Meteor is less stable than the River, but I use PDs for all but tailwind drives anyway. I was hyzer flipping Meteors like a champ today. The Meteors have enough glide to run low lines, and I just ordered a Z for straight shots. I'm thinking Z, ESP, and beat ESP will cover a lot! And they seem to bridge the gap I have between mids and PDs.

Basically my bag is this:
Wizard, Zone, Wasp, Buzzz, Meteor, PD, FB, Trespass, Giant

That's pretty similar to my bag. I would agree that there isn't much need for the River in that bag, but I would consider the River to overlap with the PD, not the Meteor. Also, I have a Z Meteor, and on its first throw, it was alreay just as understable as the ESP I had.

Don't forsake the River! Let it beat in a little more and it will out glide that Meteor for daaayyyyss! The River is a ~400' disc, and the king of all fairways!

I will almost always throw RHBH over FH. I use a max wt esp meteor as a go-to for low line flip to flat no fade (300' to 325') and flip to turn (250' to 280'). It has been extremely consistent for me. I like it because i don't really have to take a lot off it. I usually throw it 75% to 85% and change the angle to my liking. I havn't tested a river yet but i suspect it would be much longer for me. For drives or longer up shots (200+) I'm the type of player that would prefer to disc up or down rather than change the power drastically. I feel that it adversely affects my form.

I'd bag both so you can adjust power due to course conditions. I wouldnt try to crush on a mid when I could be more accurate with a fairway. In the case of a PD or higher speed driver, sometimes fade isnt an option...
Just a thought

Just ordered a River about an hour ago. I have a Meteor in my bag currently. Not looking to replace it really just looking to try something new. I'm not sure what I like and what works for me yet. I have a XL pushed to the side, got it barely used but haven't really thrown it but maybe 15 times. It feels too unnatural in my hand. We will see how this River venture goes:popcorn:

I was throwing today and hitting a lot of my River lines with Meteors. I started throwing multiples and the Meteors were not far behind. I'm thinking Rivers are gone.

Though I throw OLFs and Tursai (I have experience with PDs/Meteors) I feel like I am missing absolutely nothing between the two. Between a fresh/"beefy" US mid and a beat up control driver the power+distance transition between the two is almost seamless. Just added Valks again for fun recently (loved them years ago) but primarily the Tursas/Buzz/OLF triangle works wonders for me.