• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] River trouble

3-4 more seconds in flight than you expected, or 20-40 extra feet.

What if my expectation is elevated because it's 7 glide? Will it fly 3-4 seconds longer than that?!

I now know what my River trouble has been, I haven't kept my expectations high enough to add that extra glide time onto!

Back when the river came out i bagged a few latitude molds still and all the n00bs were so excited over this river mold. I bagged a true US killer which was an old mold vision. Decided to buy into the hype and picked up a yellow mx wt domey opto river. First few throws i wasnt all that impressed and was touchy as hell either stable/flip etc..

Step up to a hole and the 7 glide took my river right off into the river and that stupid mold never made the bag again.

Rivers suck. They are like snowflakes that arent cool and pretty.

My reaction to the Frost line River was initially pretty close to that of the OP.

I've found, however, as it has broken in it flies more like a River should.

Hitting a few trees seemed to really unlock the glide on it.

Frost and Decodye Rivers are completely amazing if you look for one that can handle a bit more torque than your average River.
I use a pearly gold for hyzerflip turnovers, it has quite the dome which the Frost and decodye does not.

River Trouble

Discs are inconsistent.
If you think you're getting flights to match the numbers every time, you're going to have a bad time.

Truer words were never written. I have a garage full of discs I bought based on numbers!

And to the inconsistency part: I have some that I bought based on recommendations... Two recent examples: I have a Falk in K1 that throws OS, just like the Stal in K1. And I have a Gote is K1 that's so flippy I'm reluctant to throw it with anything other than a lot of hyzer.

Everything I read led me to believe both the Falk and the Gote would be relatively "straight" discs. They're pretty, and I love the K1 plastic - but they're in the garage.

Truer words were never written. I have a garage full of discs I bought based on numbers!

I identify with this statement. My most used distance-fairway driver this year has been my Gold Line River 168g. Great feel and extremely durable. My main issues are just form and technique, not my disc.:eek:

Looove my rivers. I bag a beat in GL River for my flippy fairway spot. I can smooth the hell out of that thing and it will flip and ride dead straight for 300+ with very little effort and almost zero fade at the end all with <75% power. It is my woods/tunnel disc.

I also bag a heavy Opto (fisherman stamp) that is still nicely stable after 2 years and is quite domey. It will turn for me in the 75%-90% power range but will almost always come out of the turn to at least flat and has a nice forward pushing fade. I can put a little hyzer on it and it will flip flat nicely and ride straight for a long time while still finishing slightly left. I like it for when I want to turn it over and have it hold, or I have a tunnel shot I want to finish more left at the end. It is much more HSS and slightly more LSS than my GL making them a great combo.

I had a moonshine river that was quite a bit more stable than the opto, maybe closer to what everyone wanted a river to be (me included even though I love my GL for what it does). Unfortunately it completely disappeared on my last year. I need to pick up another one of those some time but I like very highly visible discs and moonshine doesn't stand out that great in the bushes.

Whenever I have "river troubles" I equate that to having "bad form troubles". Usually my form goes to crap the less amount of times I throw my rivers.

Anyone who regrets buying a River let me know.

They are a touchy SOB. But, when you find that straight line they are beautiful to watch in the air from a weak distance guy like me. I've been using Saints more and more now but the River will be my go to as long as it isnt too windy.

Latest posts