• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Road Trip from Lexington-WV-NC-Knoxville

CincyRocs

Bogey Member
My cousin and I are planning a road trip to play some disc golf this coming weekend. We are starting out in Lexington and going to Huntington WV, Charlotte NC, and Knoxville TN.

Here is a link to the rough route we will be taking:

Road Trip Route

We want all of your feedback on:

-Courses we should play near/on this route
-Special Restaurants
-Special Bars
-Anything unique or interesting you think might be worth a stop

Last edited:
I can only speak for courses around Lexington and Huntington.

In Lexington, I'd play Riney B, Veterans Park, and Shilito. Riney B is a really good course that I feel is a little under-rated. Veterans was solid, and Shilito is on my wishlist.

I'd try to play the two courses at Armco Park in Ashland, KY. Blue course is a bit longer and tougher and the White course is a bit shorter and easier, but still enjoyable.

Rankin Lake in Gastonia, NC is supposed to be a nice course and it is less than two miles from Interstate 85. You definetly need to stop and play Renaissance when you are in Charlotte. Winthrop home of the USDGC is south of Charlotte in Rock Hill, SC

Rankin Lake in Gastonia, NC is supposed to be a nice course and it is less than two miles a half mile from Interstate 85. You definetly need to stop and play Renaissance when you are in Charlotte. Winthrop home of the USDGC is south of Charlotte in Rock Hill, SC

There's a lot of great golf around here, and Rankin often gets lost in the shadow of the more well known courses in the Charlotte area. Combined with our new course here in G-Town, Bradley Center DGC, it's definitely worth the stop. As for bars and whatnot, Gastonia has Freeman's Pub on main street, great bartenders and great beer there.

If you do stop and play Renny, McKoy's Smokehouse is really close by, and has the best bar food I've ever eaten anywhere, hands down. Awesome place to eat, drink, and be merry.

Yea I think we are going to play Renny and Winthrop for sure. There is no way ot make a trip down there and not play those courses.

Oh another thing to let us know about is any courses that would be good for super class. We both want to try and play a little bit of that on this trip as well.

Rotary Park & Indian Rock in Huntington are my home course and are in great condition right now since we just had a tourney over the weekend. All the baskets at Rotary are in the long positions right now which makes it a really tough course. Johnny Sias has a private course but a DGCR'r was in town a fwe weeks ago and called Johnny to ask to play, but it seems the course was overgrown due to personal issues. You may want to call and see if its back in playable condition because his courses are supposed to be TOUGH! Let me know when you come into town. I'd be down to throw.

Oh another thing to let us know about is any courses that would be good for super class. We both want to try and play a little bit of that on this trip as well.

I guess if you want to do super class you could stop by Fewell Park for a quick round of 9 when you go to Winthrop to play.

Bailey Road would be a good SuperClass course, as would then aforementioned Fewell Park. Reedy Creek might possibly be the best SuperClass course in the Charlotte area, though. I've been wanting to play Bradley Center with a lid or two, but haven't yet. We're thinking about putting on a SuperClass tourney there sometime in the near future, though.

Coming to Asheville...
Richmond Hill, Mars Hill, Owen High are going to be your best courses.
Avery's Spring, a private course is super fun and would work well for super class. Hit me up if you want to get in. Black Mountain would also play well for super class... plus BM is close to Owen High and Pisgah Brewery.

Speaking of breweries (cool bars), Asheville has many (8). But, Highland brew is always a good time on Friday and Saturday nights from 4-8. Pisgah has bands playing all the time.

If it's open, I recommend 12 Bones (BBQ). I wouldn't eat any of the other BBQ in Asheville though. 12 Bones is where it's at... although Ed Boudreaux's in downtown is pretty good and it's a decent Bar too... with all the other good bars right next door. Lots of other restaurants in Asheville

Have fun.
DSCJNKY