• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3 vs. Lion

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I put these two molds head to head out on the course today. Both are star, 180g. I usually bag a champion Roc3 167g, but I decided to use the 180g star to make a better comparison.

First off, the numbers. The Roc3 is listed at 5, 4, 0, 3. The Lion is listed at 5, 4, 0, 2. The only (marginal) difference is that the Lion has a very slightly deeper rim (1.4 cm, vs 1.3 for the Roc3.

I'm intimately familiar with the Roc3. I've bagged one for years. It's my main mid. I like it because it responds well to hard rips without turning, and will fade back reliably late in flight without being dumpy.

The Lion is new. I hadn't thrown it before.

For two discs with such similar flight numbers, I actually found a few differences. The Lion has a way more awkward feeling rim. It also has a little dome, whereas the Roc3 is flat. The rim and dome combined to give the Lion a somewhat uncomfortable hand feel. I didn't feel like I was getting super consistent releases with it. I grip locked it a couple times.

The Lion is finicky, plain and simple. I hate to say that, but it is. The disc doesn't respond very well to hard rips. It will bleed right and not come back. Even worse, when you try to power it down, the Lion will act beefy and just fade out. I had a hard time finding the Lion's "sweetspot". I felt like I was either throwing it too hard or not hard enough. The Lion won't pop up from a hyzer at all, but will flip over fairly easily if thrown hard and flat. Almost every shot I threw with the Lion ended up right (flipped) or left (because I didn't throw it hard enough and it died off early).

The Lion and I didn't get along. I don't like the hand feel, and the rim reminds me of a VRoc. The Lion is in an awkward position because it didn't fly well at full power, nor did it do well when powered down. I can appreciate a mid that will do one or the other well, but the Lion doesn't. I figure I threw the Lion at least 20 times today, and of those throws maybe 2 of them were really good/accurate.

No such problems with the Roc3. At 180g, it's heavier than the Roc3 I usually throw. I didn't notice the added weight being a problem. The Roc3 flew great, and went where I wanted it consistently. I had cleaner releases and overall much better results.

Max distance was probably 350' with both discs. The Lion might actually be slightly longer than the Roc3. A couple times I was able to get it 20' further. The Lion and Roc3 have the same speed and glide. Nothing really remarkable there.

Conclusions: The Roc3 is LIGHT YEARS better than the Lion. It's far more steerable, and works much better at varying power levels. The Lion seemed super unrefined and clunky. The Lion definitely has high speed turn, despite what the flight numbers would indicate. I didn't trust the Lion at all on full power rips.

Lion: 5, 4, -1, 3. More high speed turn and late fade than the factory numbers indicate. The Lion will dump left hard/prematurely if you don't put enough on it. It'll also turn over and stay there if you get too assertive.

Roc3: 5, 4, 0, 3. The Roc3 holds much steadier at high speed and on finesse shots. It has a better hand feel, and can be steered so much better than the Lion.

The Lion isn't the worst mid I've ever thrown. Given more time I could probably learn it well. That said, the Roc3 flew laps around it today. I'd have a hard time recommending the Lion to anyone. It doesn't do anything special, and the Roc3 kicks the crap out of it in every way.

I put these two molds head to head out on the course today. Both are star, 180g. I usually bag a champion Roc3 167g, but I decided to use the 180g star to make a better comparison.

First off, the numbers. The Roc3 is listed at 5, 4, 0, 3. The Lion is listed at 5, 4, 0, 2. The only (marginal) difference is that the Lion has a very slightly deeper rim (1.4 cm, vs 1.3 for the Roc3.

I'm intimately familiar with the Roc3. I've bagged one for years. It's my main mid. I like it because it responds well to hard rips without turning, and will fade back reliably late in flight without being dumpy.

The Lion is new. I hadn't thrown it before.

For two discs with such similar flight numbers, I actually found a few differences. The Lion has a way more awkward feeling rim. It also has a little dome, whereas the Roc3 is flat. The rim and dome combined to give the Lion a somewhat uncomfortable hand feel. I didn't feel like I was getting super consistent releases with it. I grip locked it a couple times.

The Lion is finicky, plain and simple. I hate to say that, but it is. The disc doesn't respond very well to hard rips. It will bleed right and not come back. Even worse, when you try to power it down, the Lion will act beefy and just fade out. I had a hard time finding the Lion's "sweetspot". I felt like I was either throwing it too hard or not hard enough. The Lion won't pop up from a hyzer at all, but will flip over fairly easily if thrown hard and flat. Almost every shot I threw with the Lion ended up right (flipped) or left (because I didn't throw it hard enough and it died off early).

The Lion and I didn't get along. I don't like the hand feel, and the rim reminds me of a VRoc. The Lion is in an awkward position because it didn't fly well at full power, nor did it do well when powered down. I can appreciate a mid that will do one or the other well, but the Lion doesn't. I figure I threw the Lion at least 20 times today, and of those throws maybe 2 of them were really good/accurate.

No such problems with the Roc3. At 180g, it's heavier than the Roc3 I usually throw. I didn't notice the added weight being a problem. The Roc3 flew great, and went where I wanted it consistently. I had cleaner releases and overall much better results.

Max distance was probably 350' with both discs. The Lion might actually be slightly longer than the Roc3. A couple times I was able to get it 20' further. The Lion and Roc3 have the same speed and glide. Nothing really remarkable there.

Conclusions: The Roc3 is LIGHT YEARS better than the Lion. It's far more steerable, and works much better at varying power levels. The Lion seemed super unrefined and clunky. The Lion definitely has high speed turn, despite what the flight numbers would indicate. I didn't trust the Lion at all on full power rips.

Lion: 5, 4, -1, 3. More high speed turn and late fade than the factory numbers indicate. The Lion will dump left hard/prematurely if you don't put enough on it. It'll also turn over and stay there if you get too assertive.

Roc3: 5, 4, 0, 3. The Roc3 holds much steadier at high speed and on finesse shots. It has a better hand feel, and can be steered so much better than the Lion.

The Lion isn't the worst mid I've ever thrown. Given more time I could probably learn it well. That said, the Roc3 flew laps around it today. I'd have a hard time recommending the Lion to anyone. It doesn't do anything special, and the Roc3 kicks the crap out of it in every way.

The Shark 3 was (oop) a much better Lion, the Shark wants to due to the Dome float more then glide and act like a putter. Shark 3 was a good Midrange that one could rip on and not have fade off the line they put it on. Happy to see I got more Champion Shark 3 to keep my discs stock going for this mold. Nothing like it except maybe a non Emac Truth, I would have tried one of the Pre Emac Truth if Dynamic Disc still made the mold.

I would assume the Champion Lion would be closer to the numbers due to more recent years of Champion being more OS then Star.

...I would have tried one of the Pre Emac Truth if Dynamic Disc still made the mold...

They do still make that mold -- it's just a regular Truth. "PreMac" refers to regular Truths that were run prior to the "Made in Sweden" bottom embossing. It's a denotation of runs that came out more stable than current Truth runs. That's really no different than Teebird throwers looking for that perfect pearly 10x, or any other set of disc runs that became highly valued in the aftermarket.

In short, PreMac Truth = regular Truth mold, but with similar flight characteristics to the current Emac Truth mold.

The Lion has a way more awkward feeling rim. It also has a little dome, whereas the Roc3 is flat. The rim and dome combined to give the Lion a somewhat uncomfortable hand feel.

This specific part of your review amazes me. I know everyone's hands are different, but Rocs and Comets are by far the worst feeling mids to me. It makes me wonder if Lions would feel even more awkward (which is hard to fathom), or if they would be comfortable for my hand and grip due to being so different from Rocs.

Innova just released stock KC Pro Lions, would be cool to compare with Tour Series Roc3 and KC Pro Rocs. I remember picking up the DX Lion when it first released and didn't think it would fly as well as the DX Roc/Roc3. To me, the Lion looked just like the VRoc3, which was never PDGA approved with that name 5+ years back when it was released. I really didn't mind the VRoc3 in Champ (LE Euro Open) or Shimmer Star (Ice Bowl) but did find it very straight and overshot expected Mid Range landing zones when given some power vs. the Roc3s I normally throw.

Kinda funny that OP also created the VRoc Vs Roc3 Thread https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133095

Last edited:
They do still make that mold -- it's just a regular Truth. "PreMac" refers to regular Truths that were run prior to the "Made in Sweden" bottom embossing. It's a denotation of runs that came out more stable than current Truth runs. That's really no different than Teebird throwers looking for that perfect pearly 10x, or any other set of disc runs that became highly valued in the aftermarket.

In short, PreMac Truth = regular Truth mold, but with similar flight characteristics to the current Emac Truth mold.

Not true the Truth mold was with last numbers turn 0, fade 2 exactly the same as the Shark and Shark 3. Now the Emac version of mold is fade -1 and turn 2 so a different mold in flight probably due to the plastic used now if the mold did not change is all. I thought that Eric McCabe had some influence on changing the mold to fly more like a Buzz clone when the original molds production moved to Latitude 64 factory?

Im glad someone mentioned the VROC, this looks exactly like the VROC3... and if thats the case..im getting one or two. The champ Vroc3 flew great.

old video of me throwing the vroc3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGoBVzCptQw

I have a VRoc3, but I've never thrown it. The rim configuration is just.....weird. Much stranger feeling than the Roc3.

The VRoc3 and the Lion have identical feeling and looking rims.

Not true the Truth mold was with last numbers turn 0, fade 2 exactly the same as the Shark and Shark 3. Now the Emac version of mold is fade -1 and turn 2 so a different mold in flight probably due to the plastic used now if the mold did not change is all. I thought that Eric McCabe had some influence on changing the mold to fly more like a Buzz clone when the original molds production moved to Latitude 64 factory?

Casey, my man. Watch and learn.
https://youtu.be/h38CnrmxIy4

Counterpoint:

I love my Lion. Feels fantastic in my hand. Might be my favorite midrange. Backhand, forehand, doesn't matter, all good. I actually just won a Roc3 tonight with a parked 350ft closest to pin shot with my Lion. Now I own a RocX3 (180g), Roc3 (180g), and a Lion (175g). All in champ plastic. Thinking about bagging all 3. Haven't thrown the Roc3 yet, but it does feel nice. Not too different from the Lion imo. Little stiffer because its new. I'm thinking the Roc3 might fill a little gap between my Lion and RocX3. We shall see!

Also bag a GStar Shark (178g, understable/stable), a champ Gator (174g, very OS), and a well-loved Super Stingray (180g, very understable). I'm thinking these 6 midranges may give me the full 4-5 spd midrange spectrum from OS to US. Gotta go throw this new Roc3 to be sure!

Last edited:
The Lion was not what I had expected.

I bought the full color Star when it first came out hoping it'd be a Mako3 with a fat bead on it...

Instead it was a stubborn flyer that didn't glide a ton, didn't want to bend in flight and kinda had a fade that didn't know what it wanted to be.

It didn't last long in my bag as I want something really committed to its flight and the Lion just was there doing a little bit of everything but nothing exceptionally well.

I moved on and found the Sling by Westside that truly is a (small) Beaded Mako type mold and it is incredible, albeit now OOPish

Despite my distaste for the Lion, I would probably get used to its versatility and be OK if I stuck with it for a bit. I also am curious how a DX Lion would throw. I'd imagine it'd be pretty good bc the DX Vroc was shockingly solid.

The Lion was not what I had expected.

I bought the full color Star when it first came out hoping it'd be a Mako3 with a fat bead on it...

Instead it was a stubborn flyer that didn't glide a ton, didn't want to bend in flight and kinda had a fade that didn't know what it wanted to be.

It didn't last long in my bag as I want something really committed to its flight and the Lion just was there doing a little bit of everything but nothing exceptionally well.

I moved on and found the Sling by Westside that truly is a (small) Beaded Mako type mold and it is incredible, albeit now OOPish

Despite my distaste for the Lion, I would probably get used to its versatility and be OK if I stuck with it for a bit. I also am curious how a DX Lion would throw. I'd imagine it'd be pretty good bc the DX Vroc was shockingly solid.

IMO, the Lion just isn't as good as the Roc3. Lion has a funny feeling rim, and more high speed turn. It doesn't take power very well.

It isn't the worst mid I've ever thrown, but I don't know why Innova bothered releasing it in the first place.

I like both molds though I've thrown the Roc3 much more.

The Lion is kind of funny because it can show a more generous amount of fade or hold an early hyzer but it also turns over more easily. And it is a better forehand disc for me as well. I have a Halo one that I've hardly thrown but it doesn't seem especially beefy at least compared to the Innfuse Star.

Either mold could fill the understable to slightly overstable slots dependant on plastic and wear. Anyone beaten in a KC Pro Lion and can describe their flight characteristics? I have a couple, and think they're impressive but still haven't thrown them much.

I throw the Lion as well. I have a brand new Roc3 in champion that I have thrown a few times but doesn't seem to do anything my existing lineup already does. Current mids from under to overstable- Meteor, Buzzz SS, Buzzz, Lion, Gator3. To be fair though, I haven't beaten a Roc3 in yet to see what the seasoned flight looks like.