• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rotating Putting Styles?

jenb

* Ace Member *
A local player known for being one of the best putters around mentioned that he has 3 different putting styles (don't ask me which) that he uses depending on which one is working for him that day. Is that common? Do top pros rotate putting styles too?

I recall David Feldberg teaching a particular pitch putt style and talking about also having a spin putt that he uses situationally, such as beyond 40 feet, but I've also observed him using a straight up hyzer putt inside the circle repeatedly during a webcast tournament. Is that an example of a pro figuring out what's working for him on a particular day and using that style?

I am a little sad that the OP was not about putting with a 360 run-up. :D

At a clinic last month, Des Reading said that she straddle putts only. While Yeti said he primarily does a push putt, he demonstrated that he can rock spin, pitch and straddle putts out past 10m.

I rotate when one style isn't working on a particular day. My forte is definitely a HARD spin putt, but some days it just doesn't work for me.

Most of the time though, my putt style depends on distance. For anything under 15' I'm always spin putting, 15 - 40 feet I'm using a pitch putt with a bit of spin, and beyond 40' I putt like I'm driving (with my hips parallel to the basket.

Yeah, at the NSDG tour Feldy was talking about how the future generation of players will have mastered all types of putting for different situations. Spin putt for headwinds, pitch putts for tailwinds, or something along those lines.

I'm sure there are a ton of people who already do this.

Yeah, at the NSDG tour Feldy was talking about how the future generation of players will have mastered all types of putting for different situations. Spin putt for headwinds, pitch putts for tailwinds, or something along those lines.

I'm sure there are a ton of people who already do this.

I think using different putting styles situationally is different from what I'm talking about. I'm talking about getting the yips with one style and switching to another style and then mainly using that style until getting the yips with it, and so on.

I throw the shot I feel most comfortable with. Sometimes that means I switch styles on routine 20'ers from one day to another. I have a preferred style; though, and that's what I rely on, fall back on, etc.

I think using different putting styles situationally is different from what I'm talking about. I'm talking about getting the yips with one style and switching to another style and then mainly using that style until getting the yips with it, and so on.

Ah, yes, well in that case, that's me all right.

I don't know if it's so much changing putting styles like changing kung fu forms necessarily. The reason I struggled as a putter was because I was trying to will the disc in with muscle memory, relying on pitch putt mechanics like a machine with no A.I. When I stopped thinking about my mechanics so much and let instincts take over (I need the disc to fly from here to the basket there) I became a dramatically less terrible putter.

This led me to what GDBP was talking about, favoring different forms for different distances/terrains, because instinctively I would choose the form most natural feeling for flying the disc to the basket instead of trying to force a particular form to an unnatural degree.

For me, this evolved into: a staggered pitch putt inside the circle (straddle if uneven ground or hindered by obstacle), a hyzer putt from staggered stance just outside the circle, straddle for long putts from a short "jump-putt" range, and stand and deliver with a Polecat/Ion for really long putts/short approaches.

TL;DR version: Do what's natural to fly the disc to the basket.

I change up my putting depending on what works for me on a particular day. I usually have a pushish putt going, but I switch to spin when that doesn't work. In fact, my best tournament round happened because I did not miss a single putt and that was using a style that I almost never use. It was a casual toss almost. I did not think about it and just did it. The rest of my rounds were here and there as far as score goes but it taught me one important thing: Throw the putt that is comfortable and natural, trying not to force anything.

That being said, there is really something to routine, but it is not everything.

Wish I knew how to putt...

But I took ball golf lessons this summer , and my instructor recognized me from the local disc course and we hit it off well .

It was around the time a post came up about the Levels of competence , and I told him I was at the level of ' I know what I don't know' .

He recognized the story from him growing up golfing and still has the final spiel in his locker to remind himself of what it takes to compete .

I have struggled trying to learn to putt this summer , from various styles that I just haven't figured out to what I can do naturally to be competitive . I surprised myself stepping into a warm up circle before a tourney and draining my putts from a distance I have never done casually .

But what I carry over from my ball golf lessons is....' where is the ball going today ? Well , change your (whatever) and roll with it ! Putts left , aim right ! Putts right , aim left ! Putts short , eat something you might be bonking !'

If you're just not hitting , lay up and take the par , lots of holes to pressure for the bird you've been waiting for !:thmbup:

I dont think that pros get the yips, that's for the amateurs to get. And messing around with different styles certainly wont help you setteling into a routine quicker ( at tournaments ).

He was probably talking about different putts in different situations. Straddle around obstacles, spin from outside 50, push putt for inside the circle, turbo putt from behind bushes etc. We all should know these, just as we should have different options for driving ( forehand, roller, overheads etc ).

I dont think that pros get the yips, that's for the amateurs to get.

Saw a world champ completely miss the basket from 10' in finals, costing that person a title. Everyone gets the yips, but some get them a lot less than others.

I was never a believer of the pre-putt ritual, but since i discovered how to properly line my body up for a push put with a neutral putter (pure) I have adopted my own pre-putt ritual and experienced dramatic results in the 15-30ft range. I am releasing with more velocity on a lower trajectory and straight at the basket.

With that said, I can now switch between a stagger, half stagger, and straddle easily without any detriment as long as i have stable footing. My pre-putt ritual remains the same. But i do prefer the half stagger stance.

I have an allegory, not advice.

This past weekend, I played a short course (not good for me) and had about 10 30-50' putts the first round. I used my go-to straight on backhand putt for them. They're a little out of my effective range, but I figured some of them would fall. They didn't.

The second round, I had no faith that they'd fall, so anything 30-50' I turbo putted. I hit 2-3 out of 6 or 8 of them.

Its always good to have options.
Sometimes your lie will determine what putting style will work best.
Its best to putt comfortably with whatever style suits the shot.
One hit wonders may suffer when confronted with a difficult stance situation.

Latest posts