• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RULES QUESTION MARKING A LIE NEAR OUT OF BOUNDS

Been trying to answer this one myself but can't find one in the rules. Have read all the rules but need an opinion. We are playing around a lake that has a sloped edge. It slopes roughly 1 ft in 1 ft like a triangle. so it has a nice good slope hard if not impossible to stand on. my disc lands on the edge in the slope area. i take relief, my 1 meter towards the basket. Does relief start from the water's edge? or does it start where i can Safely put my feet(namely the flat part that starts at slopes edge?)?

STAND ON THE SLOPE LIKE A REAL MAN. YOU MADE A BAD SHOT SO YOU GOTTA TAKE THE BAD STANCE. ALSO I'M TALKING IN ALL CAPS B/C YOUR TITLE WAS IN ALL CAPS

a meter releif starts at the OB line itself. so unless you are playing that slope as OB then you would be taking a meter from the waters edge, which if its only a one foot distance you should be able to get a decent stance. Also dont forget about the rule of verticality, which could give you a bit more room off that slope

I usually just do this
CB059319.jpg

just eat a stroke, re-tee, and try to be a little more accurate.

Been trying to answer this one myself but can't find one in the rules. Have read all the rules but need an opinion. We are playing around a lake that has a sloped edge. It slopes roughly 1 ft in 1 ft like a triangle. so it has a nice good slope hard if not impossible to stand on. my disc lands on the edge in the slope area. i take relief, my 1 meter towards the basket. Does relief start from the water's edge? or does it start where i can Safely put my feet(namely the flat part that starts at slopes edge?)?

Couldn't find the rule? Here is is...

803.09B(2) A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, as determined by a majority of the group or an official.

Your choices would be to play with a stroke penalty from the OB (waters edge unless otherwise noted) or from your last throw. It's up to you. Akward stance or re-throw.

just eat a stroke, re-tee, and try to be a little more accurate.
For the love of God, why? Even with a lie forcing an awkward stance, I'd much rather be taking my second shot from there than taking my third from the teebox.

The only time you should throw from a previous lie is when you're in a situation when you're in crap so thick that there is absolutely no hope of getting it out, or a situation where your shot goes OB and in the process you've made your next lie worse than the one you just shot from.

I find myself in these situations a lot :doh:

Quit the bitching, stop over thinking it, just step up and throw your disc...I busted my ass falling up a hill because of all the leaves on Friday. My third shot was parked at the basket...I'd be willing to say more times than not you would benefit more from throwing where you first landed.

Your first shot sucked...pick it up on the second and make the save with your third. :hfive:

Last edited:
For the love of God, why? Even with a lie forcing an awkward stance, I'd much rather be taking my second shot from there than taking my third from the teebox.

Either way, you're still taking your third shot.

Either way, you're still taking your third shot.

No, he's taking his second. The shot is not OB, it is on a slope LEADING to OB.

Also, there is no relief. You may declare an unplayable lie and re-tee if you wish, but you're throwing your 3rd shot from the tee (as stated above).

The answer for the OP (which poster #3 had correct) is you get free relief up to 1 meter from the OB line even if your disc is inbounds one foot away from the water. You can only take relief toward the basket if that's perpendicular to the OB line.

No, he's taking his second. The shot is not OB, it is on a slope LEADING to OB.

Also, there is no relief. You may declare an unplayable lie and re-tee if you wish, but you're throwing your 3rd shot from the tee (as stated above).

You get a meter if its in or not. You cant throw from ob

The answer for the OP (which poster #3 had correct) is you get free relief up to 1 meter from the OB line even if your disc is inbounds one foot away from the water. You can only take relief toward the basket if that's perpendicular to the OB line.

^^ Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

Latest posts