• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules Question

Bglo

Par Member
If your disc lands behind a tree or bush, as long as you're still in line with your disc and the basket can you move as far back behind your disc as you want to throw? if not how far behind you disc can you be when throwing?

Yup, one supporting point must be directly on the line through the center of the disc toward the target and within 30cm of the thrown disc or mini, and no supporting points may be closer to the target than the thrown disc or mini.

Yup, your closest supporting point must be directly on the line through the center of the disc toward the target and within 30cm of the thrown disc or mini, and no supporting points may be closer to the target than the thrown disc or mini.

ftfy.

Nope, not true. You can have another supporting point closer than the one behind your lie, you just can't have any supporting points closer than your actual lie. One example would be a straddle putt. Say your mini is 5m from the hole. You could have one foot 5m20cm from the hole on the line of play, and another foot straddled out 5m5cm from the hole.

upon further investigation, mash is correct.

this came up over on dgr and i misunderstood the official response because chuck cant figure out how to quote forum users.

So to clarify...

One foot must be directly in line with the basket/disc line, within 30cm of the front of the original throw

The other foot can be ANYWHERE not closer than the front of the original throw?

So to clarify...

One foot must be directly in line with the basket/disc line, within 30cm of the front of the original throw

The other foot can be ANYWHERE not closer than the front of the original throw?

Careful there, it can't be closer than the back of the original throw if you leave the disc on the ground, and it can't be closer than the back of the mini if you mark the lie. Otherwise, yes.

The rule says no closer than the back of the marker which is either the mini or the original disc so that covers both possibilities.

When reading through the rules yesterday, I did notice the optional relief rule. It didn't seem to have any restrictions on when you could do it, other than the 1 stroke penalty. Accordingly, could you not take the optional relief to move further back along the line of play for a 1 stroke penalty? May not make sense in all situations, but if you're right behind a wall of trees you don't think you can get out of in two shots, may make sense to back up to give a better angle.

As of now, the Optional Relief rule 803.05C can be used any time. I'm trying to get the RC to determine if that was their intent or if it was intended to just be used for extended relief when free 5m relief from a casual area is not far enough. If their intent was to allow it any time, I think it should have been included as part of the Optional Rethrow rule.

Latest posts