• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Running up to a disc?

Iman522

Bogey Member
I was wondering what the ruling is for like a second shot with still quite a bit of distance. Can you run up to the disc to throw or does it have to be a standstill throw?

Yes, you can run up to (and past) your lie. You can do the same while on the tee. The only thing that matters is that the disc is out of your hands by the time you pass your mark and that your foot (or some other supporting point) is on the line of play when your do.

That is what your mini is for. Place it down where your disc was then you can step back and run up, just don't step past that mini when you throw or it is a penalty.

haha. its all good. the typo made me think twice...so i looked it up. i actually thought it was 35 feet for some reason.

Most due assume that it is 30' when really is it almost 33'. Keep that in mind when someone paces out 30' for their jump putt, need to pace out 33' to be safe...

Most due assume that it is 30' when really is it almost 33'. Keep that in mind when someone paces out 30' for their jump putt, need to pace out 33' to be safe...

I wish more people used the correct terms and knew the rules better. There are many people think its 30 and it drives me crazy when guys say "is this 30?" "Well yes it is but its not outside, so no you cant jump"

That is what your mini is for. Place it down where your disc was then you can step back and run up, just don't step past that mini when you throw or it is a penalty.
i think you have to stay behind it until the release , and i dont think you can step on it before either.
Dont feel like looking it up though.:rolleyes:

can you step off of the tee box after you throw? (forward)

im going to play my first mini next week and am worried ill do something stupid.

Below, straight out of the PDGA rules manual should answer all questions. Yeah, I know it boring but it is the straight answer.

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole
than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

B. Stepping past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when
putting within 10 meters.

C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full
control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

D. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any
obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course.

E. If a large solid obstacle prevents a player from taking a legal stance within 30 centimeters
directly behind the marker disc, the player shall take his or her stance immediately
behind that obstacle on the line of play. The player must comply with all the provisions of
803.04 A other than being within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc.