• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Salient Disc Golf

wkramer11

Par Member
So thought it was about time to set-up a thread for the new boys, Salient Disc. They are a brand new company who makes Disc, Shoes, and Bags. One of the main guys is Scott Wallace, he's a local pro down here in Columbia, South Carolina. Super guy and has a enormous passion for this sport, which makes me happy to know he's now in the Disc Golf market.

Salient Disc is really focused on filling the gaps that other manufactors aren't focused on. Basically Salient Disc will not be just another Disc Golf Company, they are truely focused on making discs that need to be made. Their first couple disc will not be a common disc( Go to Marshall Street Disc Golf and look at their flight chart, you will see a cluster of disc in one general area, i.e. the "Buzz" area) Salient wants to have unique disc that serve a purpose on the course.

I was talking to Mr. Wallace last Monday and he gave me an overview of what they had in mind. From what he told me I was very interested. I will leave all the unvailing to Mr. Wallace and his co-workers. But a company that is dedicated to the sport is awesome, They are making shoes, bags, and disc. More to come in the future but you have to start somewhere.

I love the fact Salient Disc is focusing on making shoes. I may be wrong but no other Disc Golf company is making shoes. Yes Keen and other companies like that have shoes out for the sport but they are not a Disc Golf Company.

I wish Salient the best of luck. These guys are a wonderful group of guys running this company, and once again focused only on Disc Golf.

I really hope for Salient's sake that the OP doesn't get paid to market for them. Edit your stuff before you post it man. And I'm with the dude referring to holes in the flight chart. There aren't any big enough to need to be filled. You're saying that there are too many discs like the Buzzz (true), so they want to make discs that are actually useful on the course. There's a REASON that the Buzzz is copied so much. It's EXTREMELY useful on the course.

That said: Props and best of luck to Salient on their endeavors.

Gaps? c'mon, where's my speed -3 putter with -3 glide?

Oh yeah, a brick... :)

Can someone link to the Prometheus thread in here? Im on my cell phone and the site is hard to navigate...and I have a burning question about it...

I would like to say that I think it's impossible to accurately characterize the flight of a disc on a flight chart or flight ratings. I'm not sure who the OP is, not familiar with the screen name, but I agree with many of the comments above by all the posters.

To clarify as of right now or first few releases will not be to change what we have all come to consider a flying disc to fly like. However we do expect to fill a spot in some players bags. We aren't trying to reinvent the wheel just offering different choices for players. To add to this all of our discs will not be wide diameter as we do have traditional discs coming down the pipe line. What you can expect is consistency and great feeling plastic.

Not to be a finger-wagger here, but is it just me or has DGCR gotten a bit snarkier as of late? I know I'd think it was pretty cool if I knew a local who was coming out with their own company.

As for Salient: I'm pumped about their bag. It's definitely filling a niche in my eyes as an affordable mid-sized backpack. I'd never even considered buying a backpack before, for a variety of reasons (namely price, and they seemed too big for me), but the Catalyst has really piqued my interest. A new bag was at the top of my Christmas list, and now that bag's the Catalyst. I can't wait to hear the first reviews.

Too bad I can't watch their youtube video; my laptop freezes everytime I try to, for some reason (computer savvy I'm not, so I've just stayed away...).

I would like to say that I think it's impossible to accurately characterize the flight of a disc on a flight chart or flight ratings. I'm not sure who the OP is, not familiar with the screen name, but I agree with many of the comments above by all the posters.

To clarify as of right now or first few releases will not be to change what we have all come to consider a flying disc to fly like. However we do expect to fill a spot in some players bags. We aren't trying to reinvent the wheel just offering different choices for players. To add to this all of our discs will not be wide diameter as we do have traditional discs coming down the pipe line. What you can expect is consistency and great feeling plastic.

I'm in on a big pre-order. Hoping they're getting their stamp on to start coming our way!

Not to be a finger-wagger here, but is it just me or has DGCR gotten a bit snarkier as of late? I know I'd think it was pretty cool if I knew a local who was coming out with their own company.

As for Salient: I'm pumped about their bag. It's definitely filling a niche in my eyes as an affordable mid-sized backpack. I'd never even considered buying a backpack before, for a variety of reasons (namely price, and they seemed too big for me), but the Catalyst has really piqued my interest. A new bag was at the top of my Christmas list, and now that bag's the Catalyst. I can't wait to hear the first reviews.

Too bad I can't watch their youtube video; my laptop freezes everytime I try to, for some reason (computer savvy I'm not, so I've just stayed away...).

It's not just you, I've been feeling that way to for awhile.

This thread wasn't supposed to be "The Official Salient Disc Thread", I simply wanted to help out a fellow disc golfer with his new company. It takes a lot courage to start up a new business, especially a disc golf company. Lets be honest the disc golf market place isn't exactly the biggest nor the most profitable.

I am not affiliated with Salient Disc by any means. I just see Mr. Wallace once every week or two, and we talk about what's going on. Nothing serious, just basic information about their disc and updates. I'm just curious about it all, and think its pretty sweet to know a local pro creating a disc golf company.

just ordered two of those on top of the 2 standard FR stamps I preordered directly from Salient. Really intrigued by this disc, hoping that it stands up to my expectations!

just ordered two of those on top of the 2 standard FR stamps I preordered directly from Salient. Really intrigued by this disc, hoping that it stands up to my expectations!

Direct orders from Salient-Discs will end this week 8/8/13 and not occur again. As a new brand we wanted to offer a limited number of discs direct to the public to get a little traffic to the website.

Please support the guys at Disc Nation as they have put together a great stamp and done a solid here for us at Salient. Future sales of salient-discs will only be available through vendors and brick and mortar stores.

Thanks, Hillary SD

You know what? I don't need any more discs. I have too many that I don't throw, and my bag is set. No gaps whatsoever. I haven't bought a new release since the Volt, and that thing is on my "For Sale" pile. But I want to buy something from Salient based solely on the fact that it IS a small upstart that clearly isn't in this business for the money, and that could use support all over the country. What's great is that they're offering options, not just discs. Can't say that I want to buy shoes from someone who isn't an established shoe manufacturer, and backpacks are a tiny bit suspect for the same reason (plus I already have two bags), but it's nice to have options. Not just to be told, "Hey. We're a new company with ground breaking flight plates and plastic. You're going to love us if you throw speed 13 discs."

You know what? I don't need any more discs. I have too many that I don't throw, and my bag is set. No gaps whatsoever. I haven't bought a new release since the Volt, and that thing is on my "For Sale" pile. But I want to buy something from Salient based solely on the fact that it IS a small upstart that clearly isn't in this business for the money, and that could use support all over the country. What's great is that they're offering options, not just discs. Can't say that I want to buy shoes from someone who isn't an established shoe manufacturer, and backpacks are a tiny bit suspect for the same reason (plus I already have two bags), but it's nice to have options. Not just to be told, "Hey. We're a new company with ground breaking flight plates and plastic. You're going to love us if you throw speed 13 discs."

Thanks for the support,

Shoes are a new realm for us but bags are not, as owner of Physical Flight I have been making bags for over two years and have sold out of every run we have ever made which should say something to the quality of our upcoming line of bags for Salient.

I really wanna try out their discs but $20.. Again that turns me off just like Prodigy. Offer a cheaper counterpart. (I understand Prodigy made cheaper plastic but none of the discs were worth buying either..).

When are the discs ordered directly from the Salient site supposed to ship out? I would love to have them waiting for me when I get home tonight before leagues!

Latest posts