• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Salient Discs "Reign" JohnE Sig Distance Driver

Rim width is synonymous with disc speed at this point. A Nuke is speed 13 ( used by most retailers and yes, Innova) , and feels very wide. I was asking if the disc (Reign) felt like other wide rimmed drivers of similar rim sizes. For example, a Tern is a speed 12 disc. It does not necessarily feel that way. It is shallow. I see I have confused you, so let me apologize. I was just wondering, if perhaps, the disc felt more similar to a Boss, Nuke,...., or to a Force, Tern, (speed 12 ). I hope that helps.

I WISH we would just talk about rim width and forget the whole "speed" nomenclature because it is confusing (and kind of arbitrary). I used to think that speed 10 = 2.0 cm rim, speed 11 = 2.1 cm rim, speed 12 = 2.2 cm rim, speed 13 = anything wider than that. After recently reviewing Innova's flight chart for everything speed 10 and higher, I've found that this isn't true at all. The speed 11, 12, and 13 drivers are all over the chart in terms of rim widths and they don't line up with the speed rating at all. For example, witness the 2.4 cm speed 12 Wahoo or the 2.3 cm speed 11 Krait or the 2.3 cm speed 12 Tern.

I definitely get that the Nuke would be a speed 13 on Innova's chart since Nukes and Bosses in my experience are basically almost the same disc. However, it is a bit false to assume that Innova (or any other manufacturer for that matter) actually correlates speed and rim widths, especially when it comes to high speed drivers.

My Reign has become my distance hyzer disc with a unique ability to throw with a low trajectory if needed and get the hyzer effect that I would generally get if I gave it a high line. I throw this well, I think that the Liquid Metal is a wonderful plastic that looks great, feels great, and best of all is extremely durable.

I had more of a difficult time with the Reign than the other Salient discs I have so I have spent a little more field time with it to find what kind of shot it would be great for. But after using it consistently, I have found that this disc is great both forehand and backhand to get that fade/turn at the end of the throw. The best part so far now that I am getting a feel for it is that I get distance. 350 average for me and I am now to the point where I can get it to hold a line where I am wanting it to go.

I was not thrilled with this disc at first, but now- I wouldn't play a round without it. It just took time for me to get used to it and develop a throwing style that would make it work. It's unlike the rest of the Salient line as it has more hyzer ability, but this disc is fantastic. A strong suggestion is that people spend quality time in a field to get used to this disc... Once you get a good feel for what it does, you will love this disc.

If I ever lost this disc, I WITHOUT A DOUBT would be picking up another Reign.

My Reign has become my distance hyzer disc with a unique ability to throw with a low trajectory if needed and get the hyzer effect that I would generally get if I gave it a high line. I throw this well, I think that the Liquid Metal is a wonderful plastic that looks great, feels great, and best of all is extremely durable.

I had more of a difficult time with the Reign than the other Salient discs I have so I have spent a little more field time with it to find what kind of shot it would be great for. But after using it consistently, I have found that this disc is great both forehand and backhand to get that fade/turn at the end of the throw. The best part so far now that I am getting a feel for it is that I get distance. 350 average for me and I am now to the point where I can get it to hold a line where I am wanting it to go.

I was not thrilled with this disc at first, but now- I wouldn't play a round without it. It just took time for me to get used to it and develop a throwing style that would make it work. It's unlike the rest of the Salient line as it has more hyzer ability, but this disc is fantastic. A strong suggestion is that people spend quality time in a field to get used to this disc... Once you get a good feel for what it does, you will love this disc.

If I ever lost this disc, I WITHOUT A DOUBT would be picking up another Reign.

This is how I feel about many, if not most, of the Salient Discs. If you take the time to get to know them, they will become your favorites.

... It just took time for me to get used to it and develop a throwing style that would make it work. ...

I don't think any sane disc manufacturer would try orchestrating a campaign where you have to change your form to throw their discs.

I think you're underestimating the lack of sanity over at Salient

I think you're underestimating the lack of sanity over at Salient

Seeing as I have only spoke with EJ a few times and I am completely in the dark about who the guy with 1 post is I can assure you I didn't tell them what to write but enjoy your day guys.

I haven't had to change my form at all to throw Salient. The Backdraft is like a Destroyer, but I like it better, Vein throws like a Thunderbird but more glide, Touch is a Wizard with less fade. The only disc I have that I didn't like was the Prometheus, and I think I might have liked one of the heavy ones, the 172 I have is just too flippy.

The Salient guys seem like a solid bunch just trying to make some great discs that are a little different that what is on the market now. I don't get the hate they get on here at all.

FYI they didn't asks me to post either.

Some people just can't get past Salient's customer service issues early on. They have since worked out a lot of bugs and have some really sweet plastic coming out. We just happen to have a lot of people on this site that REALLY know how to hold a grudge, and as a result they are missing out on some very high quality products from what I feel is a great company. I have supported Salient from the beginning, and have bagged a 185g Prometheus since it was released, and it is still a staple in my bag! All I can say to all the haters about Salient's lineup is don't knock it until you try it!! You may just surprise yourself and fall in love with the plastic blends they have and find some new go-to discs for your bag!

As far as the Reign is concerned, I'm loving it when I get to use it, but most of the courses I get to play since I've been in Washington are short and technical and don't give me much room to open up. The biggest seller for me on a lot of the discs they're releasing is the plastic. I could buy a half dozen other discs that will fly very similar to the Reign for me, but none of them feel as nice in my hand! I think in the end, that's what matters, because there is already a disc out there that will cover just about any line you can think of, but the quality of materials used is the game changer for me, and Salient is killing it!

I, too, am a huge supporter of Salient and I can assure you that they don't know me and I don't know them. I have purchased all 16 Salient discs that I own. I love the plastic and their fairway drivers and mids suit my game better than any other discs that I have tried. I don't throw the distance drivers because my noodle arm is too slow for anything above speed 10.

Putters are so personal and I cannot replace my Jokeri because of the trust I have in that disc. However, if I ever need a new putter and Salient tweaks the Yikun Gui, then that will become my new putter.

I really think that Salient discs are excellent for all skill levels (Cam Todd and JohnE McCray all the way down to me). While this is not unique among manufacturers, it does say that Salient is doing it right.

My final thoughts on testing the Reign

Feel: I tested the liquid metal plastic, which feels as good as it looks (very nice). The rim is very wide (think Nuke), the disc itself is pretty flat.
Flight: Meat hook with glide, but you gotta have a strong arm to get the full use of that glide. Don't let it fool you, you better be able to launch a disc with speed to get this thing to go very far (Johne def has that ability).
FH Potential: tons of potential, depends if you are like Sarah Hokem and flex everything, or want to use it in a headwind.
BH Potential: see above, unless you got a strong arm, this disc will not have a full flight. Still good for spike hyzers
Expectations: I expected me to not be able to use this disc as it was meant to be designed
Results: I was right, except I was able to test it in a headwind, with my forehand, and it met every demand I put on it.
Final Grade: B+

Reasoning: The rim is super large, the disc is friendly to big arms (and it's def marketed that way). It's a super beefy disc that's not needed in my bag, except maybe 2-4 weeks a year. I'd be curious to see how a well-seasoned Reign would act in the long-run.

Video review to come later...

Well, I got the opportunity to throw it a bit more today. My foray into speed 13 drivers really has no experience to draw on, but I am happy to say it definitely outdrives my destroyers on a lower line. I guess that is to be expected given the rim width but I was personally surprised. It's fast, very fast and I feel the flat nature of the disc contributes to this. I will have to throw it more, but I had my first ever genuine "putt" for deuce (which I missed) at kaposia today on hole 25. it's the one that goes over the path/valley after the spike hyzer hole. Good stuff. It definitely flies far.

still throwing it at all? curious to hear if its started to show any changes to stability from seasoning and where it sits in the bag with your mix of destroyers..?

Latest posts