• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Same mold, different weights

If you like a mold then maybe experiment with different weights. The advantage is dealing with windy situations (headwind, tailwind, crosswind). Headwinds and tailwinds are pretty obvious what should be done, but the crosswind is where a lighter or heavier mold could work depending on the line your trying to take. A lighter disc can get more bounce from the wind while a heavier disc can cut against the wind and still have the stability to come back BIG.

FWIW, I find that most of my lighter-weight discs have a lower PLH than their more hefty counterparts.
I have about two hundred 150 class discs.
Of those 200 discs, most of them fall into the same 10 molds. Aviars, Wizards, Magics, Polecats, Cobras, Rocs, Leopards, Eagles, Teebirds, Valks and Wraiths.
Most of these are molds I also have in heavier weights like 170-175g.

I can say that the PLH on my lighter stuff varies just as much and within the same range as on my heavier versions of the same mold.

I really wish manufacturers made it easier to make broad generalizations but they work pretty hard to make it difficult on us.:doh:

*Spoiler alert* Slight meaningless derail of thread imminent.

Lol, Midnight. I almost understand the price logic, but man I just don't see the logic there. Not just you, everyone that does that. Premies for driving, and low grade for grabbing and slamming. Nothing against it, I just never understood it.

Looks like Midnight is the opposite of the norm. If I'm reading him right, he drives with the soft and putts with the Z.

Marmoset is right as far as looking for plh to determine stability.

I throw lighter weights in my lesser stable discs and heavier in my more overstable discs. I want the lesser stable molds to be able to glide longer with the wind. I want more overstable discs to have the weight to help push through the headwind and also not to be pushed around as much by crosswind/headwind.

I still don't have a huge difference though in weights. 168g -176g including mids