• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Sapphire

Monkeypaws, I hope you like yours as much as I do mine. I can see the Sapphire being my number 1 driver for years to come. If Lat64 will produce some Goldline Furys, or a 170+ Goldline Jade, I'll buy a handful of those and I won't need a driver again for a long time.

So, after a handful of throws in the field side by side, Sapphire 170 and 1st run Grace, similar distance. I'd grade the Grace a tick more stable.

Pretty interchangeable.

I threw them in a headwind-tailwind, and the Grace never turned over in the headwind, and the Sapphire did, but fought out of it.

170+ carat Sapphire

Tried one of these last week. Plastic looks to be gold line swirl of some sort. Disc is 175g. Nice dome, like pretty much any other Sapphire I've seen.

What a gem (literally) this disc is. Best Sapphire I've tried yet. Even at 175g this disc has all the glide and distance of lighter Sapphires without being flaky. It can handle a good rip and not flip wildly over.

This Sapphire is basically what I thought the Scorch would be. 170+ Sapphire holds the straight part of the flight much better/longer than the Scorch, and doesn't have a dumpy late fade.

Distance was really impressive. I was able to go 460' a couple times on high, anny lines. The Sapphire is one of those discs that really shines when you get it high in the air. The low line drive shots aren't nearly as good.

170+ Sapphire: 10, 6, -2, 2. Very good disc. Anyone who likes the Sapphire, but wants a heavier version, should try this. Long, floaty bomber that will turn fairly easily without flipping over entirely. Huge flier for this slow of a disc. Reminiscent of an Essence, Scorch, or Mystere, but with better glide. This Sapphire also blows things like the Beast out of the water in terms of overall performance.

Tried one of these last week. Plastic looks to be gold line swirl of some sort. Disc is 175g. Nice dome, like pretty much any other Sapphire I've seen.

What a gem (literally) this disc is. Best Sapphire I've tried yet. Even at 175g this disc has all the glide and distance of lighter Sapphires without being flaky. It can handle a good rip and not flip wildly over.

This Sapphire is basically what I thought the Scorch would be. 170+ Sapphire holds the straight part of the flight much better/longer than the Scorch, and doesn't have a dumpy late fade.

Distance was really impressive. I was able to go 460' a couple times on high, anny lines. The Sapphire is one of those discs that really shines when you get it high in the air. The low line drive shots aren't nearly as good.

170+ Sapphire: 10, 6, -2, 2. Very good disc. Anyone who likes the Sapphire, but wants a heavier version, should try this. Long, floaty bomber that will turn fairly easily without flipping over entirely. Huge flier for this slow of a disc. Reminiscent of an Essence, Scorch, or Mystere, but with better glide. This Sapphire also blows things like the Beast out of the water in terms of overall performance.

And where did you find this 170+ Sapphire?

I think they ran some gold bursts for the Trilogy Challenge a year or two ago but I missed out.

170+ Sapphires would definitely have a spot in my bag if I could find them.

The Sapphire, along with the Sword, has become a go to distance driver for me. I have them in Opto, Gold and Retro, across 150-70, and I really can handle all the conditions with this disc. The Sword offers just that extra tad of beef when I need it, and I have the Sword dialed in for forehands, but if I'm not throwing a Saint on hole, it's usually a Sapphire.

Great shallow moderately fast glidey driver.

The Sapphire, along with the Sword, has become a go to distance driver for me. I have them in Opto, Gold and Retro, across 150-70, and I really can handle all the conditions with this disc. The Sword offers just that extra tad of beef when I need it, and I have the Sword dialed in for forehands, but if I'm not throwing a Saint on hole, it's usually a Sapphire.

Great shallow moderately fast glidey driver.
Found a 164g Saphire without name so I gave it few tosses. I can't for the life of me understand who this disc is for.

I throw 400' and it didn't flip at all, but had a nice straight to fade flight. So the flight was nice, but I don't think many players with +400' of distance want to add the variance through light weight discs.

On the other hand, if you're in the 300-club or so and prefer something lighter weight, this is going to be just so overstable. Also, I don't really see any point in bagging a light weight disc as your wind fighter as they are more random in the wind.

So yeah, lovely flight in ideal conditions, but really can't understand who this is designed for.

Found a 164g Saphire without name so I gave it few tosses. I can't for the life of me understand who this disc is for.

I throw 400' and it didn't flip at all, but had a nice straight to fade flight. So the flight was nice, but I don't think many players with +400' of distance want to add the variance through light weight discs.

On the other hand, if you're in the 300-club or so and prefer something lighter weight, this is going to be just so overstable. Also, I don't really see any point in bagging a light weight disc as your wind fighter as they are more random in the wind.

So yeah, lovely flight in ideal conditions, but really can't understand who this is designed for.
What plastic? I have a TP that I really like (and I'm maybe a 350' AM40). I don't remember the weight but it's not super heavy. I can get flip or fade as needed just by making slight adjustment to my throw. I use it a lot on the 250-300 foot upshot and it's great!

When I threw trilogy molds, the Sapphire was my big hold over anhyzer disc (375-400 feet). Had enough stability to not burn out but was understable enough to get turned over and keep holding that turn. Useless in the wind, more utility disc for a specific shot on a specific course, or when playing at 7'000+ feet of elevation. I know lots of MA60+ guys that just use this as their primary distance driver (in combo with the Diamond which is much more understable). And then they bag like a Trespass or Grace as their overstable mold for wind. Maybe that's the target group? I've thrown some Sapphires that were surprisingly over stable even in the 158g range. I've also thrown some that were instant rollers even from steep hyzer. Maybe you just got a particularly beefy one.

I had two Opto Sapphires that I used a ton from when I threw 200' until about 330' (consistently). Neither of them was overstable at the 330' mark and they were my max distance discs for a good long while.

At some point I started only throwing the slightly heavier and more overstable of the two.

I eventually transitioned over to 160ish gram Wraiths, Vulcans and Bosses around the 330-360' mark because I started getting more distance with them and some of them were a little bit more reliable.

What plastic? I have a TP that I really like (and I'm maybe a 350' AM40). I don't remember the weight but it's not super heavy. I can get flip or fade as needed just by making slight adjustment to my throw. I use it a lot on the 250-300 foot upshot and it's great!
It was one of those Gold Orbit ones, which may be more OS but I have no clue. Anyway, it sounds like the one I found is from the beefier end of the spectrum and that would make sense.

Light weight discs are funny, because they are just so easy to get up to speed. But at least for me, I've noticed that I get just way more consistency with +170g discs. I also think that the turn and fade are more mellow the heavier you go.

But yeah, if the average Sapphire is straighter than what I found, then it makes more sense and can be a very good driver for some.

Speaking as a newer player, 3-4 months, and maxing out at 200-225', I love my 158g Diamonds. They seem to want to flip to level and go straight with accidental hyzer or anhyzer, making it my most reliable distance disc so far. I grabbed a Sapphire, thinking easy to use line but a bit faster, so maybe I can add distance with it…. Yikes - does not seem like a beginner friendly disc to me. RHBH, it goes hard left on me every time. Even tried to anhyzer it, and it still fights hard back to the left. Guess that one will have to wait for me to get faster arm speed to have a chance to be useful.

Speaking as a newer player, 3-4 months, and maxing out at 200-225', I love my 158g Diamonds. They seem to want to flip to level and go straight with accidental hyzer or anhyzer, making it my most reliable distance disc so far. I grabbed a Sapphire, thinking easy to use line but a bit faster, so maybe I can add distance with it…. Yikes - does not seem like a beginner friendly disc to me. RHBH, it goes hard left on me every time. Even tried to anhyzer it, and it still fights hard back to the left. Guess that one will have to wait for me to get faster arm speed to have a chance to be useful.
You probably wanted a Jade instead of the Sapphire. After my shoulder injury, I started throwing the Easy to Use line and I am doing this progression Diamond - Jade - Sapphire and trying each one in multiple plastics along the way as my arm speed goes back up. I'm currently very comfortable with the Jade and get it out over 300 on a good throw. I've only tried one Sapphire so far, a gold line lighter one and seem to pull it a bit further, but it is a bit more stable... The Opto one is on order and I expect more stability than the gold line one...

Hopefully as my shoulder gets back to fully operational and my form improves, I can break my current distance record and then start pushing things further yet.

Oh boy the latest Gold Orbit ones look pretty, do they follow the typical Innova pattern where those two tone ones are the most stable? Maybe I need to buy one of those too?

Latest posts