• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Saw a newbie with an XCal

I threw this old Xcal I had found in the long past today. It was super worn in and not too overstable at all. I love a driver you know won't turn over if you throw it flat with a lot of snap. Glad I read this thread :)

My friend throws one and no matter how much he messes up because of it he still won't listen to me. It's also messing up all of his other throws because he has to flex that thing with so much annie just to get it to fly kinda straight. Now most of his other drives go straight right. Meanwhile I'm zipping my River or TL way past his drives and I started playing after him.

I think most newbs tend to buy a lot of nukes also and that is just as bad. I convinced one guy to flick his Valk and not his nuke, he lightly tossed his single longest drive of the day.

I love my X-Cals. I just started throwing them last year. Awesome disc with a reliable finish. I certainly couldn't have thrown it properly my first few years playing, but I can now.

Threw it a ton last weekend and won a tournament in part thanks to it

My friend throws one and no matter how much he messes up because of it he still won't listen to me. It's also messing up all of his other throws because he has to flex that thing with so much annie just to get it to fly kinda straight. Now most of his other drives go straight right. Meanwhile I'm zipping my River or TL way past his drives and I started playing after him.

I think most newbs tend to buy a lot of nukes also and that is just as bad. I convinced one guy to flick his Valk and not his nuke, he lightly tossed his single longest drive of the day.

No doubt. I certainly spent a lot of time throwing Vulcans, Blizzard Katanas, Bosses, (SS) Nukes and the like, before I figure out I needed to learn to throw Putters and Mid Ranges smoothly first. I probably still have a long ways to go for really proper form, but I was watching the Am 1s play the Norcal open this weekend and I'm right there in terms of length and accuracy. Never played a tournament before.

No doubt. I certainly spent a lot of time throwing Vulcans, Blizzard Katanas, Bosses, (SS) Nukes and the like, before I figure out I needed to learn to throw Putters and Mid Ranges smoothly first. I probably still have a long ways to go for really proper form, but I was watching the Am 1s play the Norcal open this weekend and I'm right there in terms of length and accuracy. Never played a tournament before.

Yeah, I cleaned up my bag and shelved a bunch of high speed drivers. I stayed with the River, TL, and Firebird (strict utility until recently). I just added the Ace Race Proto and a Valk. The Valk is the least used of the bunch.

There is something about tossing your buzz on a rope where you used to toss a high speed driver way out to the right with a big hyzer.

When i started out, my first discs were a buzzz, challenger, teerex, and avengerss. then i got a groove which was even worse.
The fast discs can either impede someone from getting better.
OR they can make someone get better much faster, this was teh case with me. I did lots of research.

This thread title sounds like the opening lyric of a disc golf country song.

Saw a newbie with an Xcal today
on my course. What could I say?
'cept, "Lord, when did the good times
go away? Awaaaaaaaaay!"

He charged up his disc
and let it fly.
40 feet up into the sky.
Way off to the left and I wonder why. Oh whyyyyyyyyyy!

PIAS, You're a POS.
Selling discs to kids
with no business
throwing anything faster than an Axis. An Axiiiiiiiis!

PIAS, You're a POS.
Sold my 8 year old nephew a Nuke SS.
When will we all learn
that faster isn't best? Oh beeesssst!

*pedal steel solo*

Last edited:
I had a similar experience. I was at Blue Ribbon Pines (of all places to find a newbie) But it was me and my buddy and we saw 2 guys about to tee off right after us. We decided to be friendly and asked if they wanted to play with us. So after a few holes we get talking. Turns out the other guys didn't play much but had a few discs each. The one guy was just having the hardest time driving. I asked what he was throwing. He said " A Boss" I made a suggestion that he tried something more neutral and slower speed, like a Valk, Beast, Roadrunner, Sidewinder, etc. Later in the round i went to my car and gave him a 170g Star Sidewinder.... We kept playing...immediately his drives were improved and he was ALL ABOUT the Sidewinder. After the round I said "just keep it and have fun"

From just the 28 holes I played with em' I saw immediate improvement. Sometimes...the DISC MATTERS!

I saw a kid ace a 130' straight hole with a Boss. He flicked it as hard as he could and it flew into the chains like a dying duck falling from the sky (horrible OAT). A few holes later I saw a guy throw a Boss on a 180' hyzer route. Both of these guys bagged a low score for those holes, and it worked for them, but it's always hard to watch.

Maybe their "success" will get them stoked on the game and then lead them to a place where they will actually want to improve properly. It happened for me when Stan McDaniel invited me to a beginners league...not like that detail matters, I'm just glad to have so many great players in Charlotte who are willing to help younger throwers improve.

Let's give them something to improve with. Kudos to those who have shared stories of doing that.

I've stopped to help newbies look for lost discs. When asked what we're looking for, I've been told "A blue Innova".
"Innova, what?"
"Oh, I dunno."

I just keep my tongue in check and help them find it. No need to geek out on the poor souls.

Great post! :popcorn:

Latest posts