• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Schusterick’s New Venture

McLovin

Bogey Member
Yesterday Will Schusterick announced the launch of https://www.discgolfinstruction.com/

This is taken from his announcement via Facebook

"Over the last several weeks I've been dropping hints about a long time project I've been working on. It's finally time for me to announce to the world, Disc Golf Instruction. The worlds FIRST membership based platform for Disc Golf that offers a systematic way to learn the game of disc golf the right way! It has taken several months of filming, scripting, editing, and revising and we can finally OFFICIALLY launch the first video series! I can guarantee this will be the highest quality teaching series anyone has ever laid their eyes on! Plus, there's more to come... Check out www.discgolfinstruction.com to become a member and view the first release!"

Reminds me of the "Tathata Golf" commercials I see on YouTube when I start a CCDG video. Not passing any kind of judgment, I might even spend the $8.99 to try it just out of curiosity. But I'm not sure on how the DG community will embrace a subscription service like this. But I've been surprised before I guess, never thought a monthly subscription surprise box would ever last more than a month or two.

As long as he doesnt teach putting, it will probably be fine. His driving clinics are second only to Feldbergs.
His putting video might be the worst putting tutorial a pro has ever given.
I wish him luck, I would have signed up when I was new.

Last edited:
Feldberg always pumps the science of his stuff, for better or worse. I'll be interested to see more of this kind of this kind of enterprise emerge.

"The Right Way" is correct thinking, as for every established activity there is a Platonic ideal for it's completion. The individual's task is adaptation of the real world reality, their body, their situation, their conditions, etc., to match as closely as possible that Platonic ideal. This is not to say that current knowledge is exhaustive, as the Fosbury Flop aptly demonstrated.

I wish him luck, as I believe he's actually entering the most difficult phase of his career.

"the right way"

im not interested in people who think in terms of right and wrong

especially being that everyones body and physical structure is different

Point is valid; however, I think it comes down to what "right" means to him.

Point is valid; however, I think it comes down to what "right" means to him.

I think he's simply copying language that is common to how-to educational videos, especially those which involve complicated body mechanics. The phrase also operates as establishing his own authority as someone who knows and can do, and, at least as far as he is concerned, can teach it as well.

Honestly it's not a terrible idea, but he's may not be the guy that I would want to be spearheading it.

If this were Feldburg, who has studied bio mechanics and things(as well as a longer period of success at the top) I would be more likely to look more into it.

Will is a great player, but the fact that he is most known for having glaring mechanical issues (valid injury driven ones sure) in a key part of his game, makes me pause.

I just bought and watched the Shusterick beginner series video. I think it is worth $8.99 to beginners (myself included), but probably would not be worth much of anything to people who have already progressed beyond that point. If you already have your x-step dialed in and can consistently throw 300', you might want to wait for the next video. I have watched some of Feldberg's stuff too, and they have very different instructional styles. Shusterick is kind of modest and borderline nerdy, whereas Feldberg is very confident. I think they both are good teachers. People who are learning the game would do well to watch both of them.

I just dropped the $9 to see the beginner's video. Seems to be a good production with clear instruction. Has better explanation than many instruction videos found on YouTube, so I see value in it.

I wonder how many videos are planned at the different levels (Beginner, Advanced, Pro). It could prove to be a good instructional series. The technical quality is good--he's obviously working to speak clearly, the text is rehearsed, lighting is good, camera work is good, and so forth.

As he's a better player than most and an experienced instructor, I reckon this effort is worth supporting.

I'll see what it's about for 9$, but I have to say: the website looks absolutely dreadful. It's like the website version of a badly acted late-night infomercial.

Will is a great player, but the fact that he is most known for having glaring mechanical issues (valid injury driven ones sure) in a key part of his game, makes me pause.

Isn't the old axiom "those who can, do; those who can't, teach"? Just because Will has a glitch/hitch in his own technique, that doesn't mean he can't teach proper technique and/or diagnose flaws in others. The best hitting coaches in baseball aren't typically the guys who were career .300+ hitters. Swing coaches in golf generally aren't guys who are good enough to make the tour. And so on.

I hear what you're saying about Feldberg and the bio-mechanics approach, but not everyone can understand or respond well to those kind of technical explanations or instructions. There's surely room for different styles and approaches to teaching, all of which can be effective.

I think this sort of thing is an area ripe for growth in the sport. There's only so far the game can go with the primary instruction for new players being either self-taught trial and error or patchwork advice from various friends and acquaintances. If there are professional options for instruction ("right" or whatever is entirely subjective), it only further legitimizes the sport. I hope Will is successful in this venture and it spawns more like it.

Isn't the old axiom "those who can, do; those who can't, teach"? Just because Will has a glitch/hitch in his own technique, that doesn't mean he can't teach proper technique and/or diagnose flaws in others. The best hitting coaches in baseball aren't typically the guys who were career .300+ hitters. Swing coaches in golf generally aren't guys who are good enough to make the tour. And so on.

I hear what you're saying about Feldberg and the bio-mechanics approach, but not everyone can understand or respond well to those kind of technical explanations or instructions. There's surely room for different styles and approaches to teaching, all of which can be effective.

I think this sort of thing is an area ripe for growth in the sport. There's only so far the game can go with the primary instruction for new players being either self-taught trial and error or patchwork advice from various friends and acquaintances. If there are professional options for instruction ("right" or whatever is entirely subjective), it only further legitimizes the sport. I hope Will is successful in this venture and it spawns more like it.

So, I probably should have explained myself better. I'm a baseball instructor, and mainly do pitching with HS age kids and hitting with younger kids.

I find that if you have an issue you have a hard time identifying and resolving in yourself if can be hard to fix the same issue in others.

As a hitter my biggest issue was plate discipline, I could make contact with any pitch and felt obligated to do so. Which is a poor approach.

So I can teach mechanics and timing all day long, but if a kids main issue is that they are a free swinger is harder since nothing other than experience could teach me that.

I've seen Wills videos and he's a good instructor, but if my main issue is putting(which it is) I'm likely to pay for to someone who has a better recent history.

^^^ Bingo. Will came and put on a clinic before one of my events last year and I can say that he is one of the best, if not the best instructor out there. Feldberg is great as well, and I believe that they share a lot of the same principles in their instruction. Will learned much of his instruction techniques while he and Dave were on the Non Stop Tour together.

If this were Feldburg, who has studied bio mechanics and things(as well as a longer period of success at the top) I would be more likely to look more into it.

In my experience, the ability of someone to do something extremely well has had little to do with the ability of that person to teach someone else how to do it. A teacher/coach must able to demonstrate and explain, but doesn't need to be able to win championships to be a good teacher/coach.

In my experience, the ability of someone to do something extremely well has had little to do with the ability of that person to teach someone else how to do it. A teacher/coach must able to demonstrate and explain, but doesn't need to be able to win championships to be a good teacher/coach.

I am one of the worst soccer players in the history of man.
But I can coach and teach anyone to pretty good success.

That said, and maybe I am being harsh here, but what do Will's videos offer that the Beato videos don't ? Isn't this stuff all over youtube?

I am one of the worst soccer players in the history of man.
But I can coach and teach anyone to pretty good success.

That said, and maybe I am being harsh here, but what do Will's videos offer that the Beato videos don't ? Isn't this stuff all over youtube?

A resume? Despite his critics here, Will is still a 3X US Champion with a lengthy list of wins in his career. Even if the content of the videos are exactly the same, I have to think more people are going to gravitate toward instruction from a champion versus a relatively anonymous teacher.

Just because Will has a glitch/hitch in his own technique, that doesn't mean he can't teach proper technique and/or diagnose flaws in others

Will's putting style is flawed from a bio mechanics standpoint. No one should be taught to putt that way.
This is a common way of putting in this region( I am from a nearby town to Knoxville, Will's hometown) and from what I understand, was taught to him by local Knoxville players when he was young.

That is why I have issue with him teaching putting, not his (bad)record of putting.

Having said that, he has a good teaching style and his bio mechanics are awesome for driving and throwing. I would love to go to one of his clinics...but seems they are always when I am at work :(

^^^ Bingo. Will came and put on a clinic before one of my events last year and I can say that he is one of the best, if not the best instructor out there. Feldberg is great as well, and I believe that they share a lot of the same principles in their instruction. Will learned much of his instruction techniques while he and Dave were on the Non Stop Tour together.

I agree as well- they are head and shoulders above the rest as teachers of throwing technique.

Latest posts