• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Scott Stokely interview on Q the A Podcast

Stokely and density altitude

I am an admirer of Scott , his talent and persona. I also commend his stance on Autism. I must disagree with him on the point that at higher altitude you get longer shots. In re: his longest high altitude ace. In actuality the air is less dense with altitude, hence less lift. Since the disc is an airfoil higher altitude = less lift = less distance. Other factors included in this equation are temperature and humidity. I signed up for his tourney at Portage Lakes but was unable to make it due to circumstances. I regret not meeting him but was glad to contribute to his cause.

I must disagree with him on the point that at higher altitude you get longer shots. In re: his longest high altitude ace. In actuality the air is less dense with altitude, hence less lift. Since the disc is an airfoil higher altitude = less lift = less distance.
The disc is not just a wing, it's also a projectile like a baseball at Coors Field. Every distance thrower will agree with Scott that higher altitude(above sea level) helps distance, most say the sweet spot is around 4000-5000'. In the initial phase of a distance throw you want to minimize lift and throw it more upward in trajectory, instead of burning it's speed/momentum on the way up by using lift/drag. After the apex the disc uses more wing aerodynamics than simple projectile trajectory. So at higher altitude you can throw it higher and further through the apex because there is less air friction/drag maintaining more speed/momentum, and then let the wing help do it's thing further on the way down.

It's great these guys do this sort of stuff BUT, another reason why disc golf will never be mainstream in it's current form..

The main commentator is doing it from his basement with Christmas decorations and junk all over the place, how bout at least clean up or hang some sort of back drop.

Stay_Classy_Anchorman.jpg

^^^^ Agreed. I'd rather they just post a blog (text) and I'll read it there. Never heard of these guys, so no offense to them, just don't see anything visually pulling me in to watch this.

I can tell you that EVERY player in Colorado loves to travel because they pick up distance and EVERY player that comes to visit loses distance. You lose a lot of glide at altitude. Baseballs travel further here because of the thin air, discs do not.

I can tell you that EVERY player in Colorado loves to travel because they pick up distance and EVERY player that comes to visit loses distance. You lose a lot of glide at altitude. Baseballs travel further here because of the thin air, discs do not.
Not every player, but majority I would agree. That's because the majority of players don't know how to throw correctly. Distance throwers love throwing in Ft. Collins, CO.

I think if you could throw a disc starting in Denver and have it land in Kansas City you could take full advantage of the disc's flight and it would travel a far piece.

My understanding is Discs are more stable at higher elevations. So I know I would have less distance there cuz I don't have the power (i.e. technique) to throw very stable discs. Unless I could find just the right stability in one of my very understable discs.

re: the distance at elevation, the discs definitely go farther. I haven't played in CO yet, but throwing in Spokane, WA (~2000') I noticed a very real difference in my disc's flight compared to the sea level I'm used to. Discs definitely flew more overstable, but compensating by throwing less stable plastic, I had a good 30-50' added to my distance. At the time, I threw with even worse form than I have now, so I know someone who knew what they were doing would have an even bigger increase in distance.

Not every player, but majority I would agree. That's because the majority of players don't know how to throw correctly. Distance throwers love throwing in Ft. Collins, CO.

Just Eagle McMahon. I traveled and stayed with Eagle last year at The Memorial where he appreciated the added distance, but what does he know...

I live at around 100', most of the courses I play are under 500'. A couple of years ago I took a trip out west and was playing a course at about 4000'. I had to text one of my more experienced player friends to ask what the heck was going on because nothing was flying right... His explanation was that my discs were moving faster but gliding less. Made sense based on what I was seeing.

Just Eagle McMahon. I traveled and stayed with Eagle last year at The Memorial where he appreciated the added distance, but what does he know...
Maybe it appeared to Eagle he was throwing further because discs will glide more at lower altitude, but also be going slower. Did he actually measure his distance throws there?

Scott Stokely and Chris Max have multiple distance records and distance competition is their world. And Scott has lived in CO for many years. I don't know why anyone would believe them? :confused:

"Elevation plays a very important role too!! Lots of distance players have set their personal best in Fort Collins (around 1800 m) and Kingston (around 1600 m)" - Chris Max Voigt
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/distancesecrets.shtml

Maybe it appeared to Eagle he was throwing further because discs will glide more at lower altitude, but also be going slower. Did he actually measure his distance throws there?

Scott Stokely and Chris Max have multiple distance records and distance competition is their world. And Scott has lived in CO for many years. I don't know why anyone would believe them? :confused:

"Elevation plays a very important role too!! Lots of distance players have set their personal best in Fort Collins (around 1800 m) and Kingston (around 1600 m)" - Chris Max Voigt
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/distancesecrets.shtml

Whatever. I'm not going to engage in one of your brain damage debates, I'll just take the word of everyone actually in Colorado including a kid that throws 700 feet, over a guy that throws with his keyboard.

Now where's that eye-roll smiley...

... There he is.:rolleyes:

Whatever. I'm not going to engage in one of your brain damage debates, I'll just take the word of everyone actually in Colorado including a kid that throws 700 feet, over a guy that throws with his keyboard.

Now where's that eye-roll smiley...

... There he is.:rolleyes:
That's because you got nothing left to damage that was already done by yourself, and you aren't arguing with me, you are arguing with Scott Stokely and Chris Max Voigt. No doubt Eagle has an arm, but he is still very young and less knowledgeable than guys with multiple world record distance titles to their names since before Eagle was even born. Let me know when Eagle breaks the record at sea level. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts