• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

secret course

tromak

Bogey Member
ok guys i am going to work with my local government to establish a legit disc golf course in my area this summer. I know full well the best case scenario im 3 years out though. The last few days i've had this idea that im going to just set up my own course out on public land so i can get some practice this summer. Im not going to do anything permanent. I will probably just mark trees and play throwing at tree trunks old school style. Now i can see the forest service having problems if i was installing baskets or cutting trees down, but i know for a fact there fine with limited trimming of small shrubs and maybe a little flagging on the trunks to mark the area im aiming for. I know some people are going to think this isnt a good idea but you know what without baskets and concrete tee pads you will be able to walk through it without knowing its there so whatever. Plus it will help me in the future designing a real course. Does anyone have any experience doing this?? If you can offer me any advice that would be great.Thanks.

I've done this multiple times and it can be a great way to cut your teeth in designing without actually doing anything permanent. Obviously you'll be limited in that you won't be able to cut down any trees or anything like that. One suggestion I'd make is carrying a plastic bag with you to pick up trash while you play. It sounds random and weird, but I do this with my family all the time and it really helps to make a good name for disc golf.

Another suggestion I have is to keep track of the different holes/layouts that you have and come up with some kind of excel sheet where you can keep track of the different scores that you get so that you can find out which holes give the best score spread. I have a bunch of other ideas/suggestions but I'll have to get back to you later. Have fun!

Yeah for sure, i usually pick up trash anyway. No one likes seeing trash around. I'll take whatever suggestions you have. I'd pm you on this but maybe some other people would be interested as well. Ive learned the hard way on to many things so I'll probably implement anything someone with past experience to some degree. I like the excel idea but im not sure how to work that into the actual layout. Im thinking that I would tweak the tee pads until i am scoring about what im scoring now on some of the courses i like. I don't want to make a course where i can hit par or better on everything. But at the same time it would be nice to be able to do that if im on my game. If im hitting a birdie on a particular "tree" everyday maybe move the tee pad into a more difficult position.

Make sure you understand the use and designation for the public land you choose. Even walking through the woods on a consistent basis will introduce erosion and compaction. If the area is, or is near, a sensitive environmental area, please proceed with caution.

And as always, good luck in your endeavors, always solicit more input in your design and think outside your box. Push the envelope and Watch it Bend!

...i know for a fact there fine with limited trimming of small shrubs and maybe a little flagging on the trunks to mark the area im aiming for....

If you know they are fine with it, get written permission and carry it with you. Otherwise, you are likely breaking the law. Usually, park rules are written so you can't remove anything, or leave anything without a written permit.

I would stay away from trimming anything. That being said, I would ask for forgiveness rather than permission for doing some non-permanent markings. I have had many authorities see me doing golf like this. The only time I got into even a little trouble was when I wondered onto private property (it is adjacent to a huge public park, and their land starts about 300' outside their fence, so I had no idea I had left the park), and I managed to smooth things over enough that they now have donated the use of the land for a permanent course.

Something I use for these types of courses: black or green electrical tape. It marks the tree just fine for my purposes, but is a lot less obtrusive for others. If I think this is especially important for any trees within site of paths.

Yeah i mean i know your allowed to trim shrubs the forest service actually has a list of what you can cut and not cut during recreational activities. I know this from other recreational activities i have done and checked into it. Actually Assuming the tree is dead i can cut it out for the personal use of firewood. I will avoid doing this though because i dont want to step on any toes. But i pull about 10-12 cords of firewood out of there for personal use almost every year. We have a bad bark beetle problem on the Kenai peninsula and they are glad to see people cutting them. I know things are different than that in the lower 48 but in the chugach national forest they let you do your thing if your not permanently damaging anything.

If you know they are fine with it, get written permission and carry it with you. Otherwise, you are likely breaking the law. Usually, park rules are written so you can't remove anything, or leave anything without a written permit.

You should listen to S.W. he knows what he's talking about. For sure, the "local rules" for what you can and cannot do in a park vary widely and are often quite subject to the park Superintendents' wishes. Why risk making an enemy of this person (or any nearby landowners)? Simply tell them that you would like to work with them to develop a course in their park (it is, their park). They may well tell you what areas would be ok or off limits. Tell them, it is a 3 year process and the first year or so you just need to put some low-vis markings in to help you develop the design. Do it right and they will likely treat you right down the road when you are looking for funding, installing the course, maintaining the course and running events and leagues there. Don't. Get caught. They don't like it. Project dead. Buh-bye! :wall:

Latest posts