• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Secret" Revealed at DGR!

Its stupid how easy this is. I've taken out a run up and steps so far and am just doing the pound and haven't lost a touch of distance. In fact some of the throws have been farther than my old throwing style... if you're not doing this you're hurting your game.

Its real easy to do. I've even found that it helps just doing it while walking to the next tee just to get the feel before I drive.

its funny. I use to watch players kinda swing the disc or flick it while they were setting up the throw. Then I would notice them as they do their run up kinda flick with forward right before they reach back. Almost seems like a nice way to keep yourself relaxed and smooth right before the hit.

I've also noticed myself doing it more. Just lightly trying to get the hit/hammer motion/feeling as I'm getting ready to throw just to be sure I'm doing it and not muscling.

The best examples of what I'm talking about are Nate and Avery.

Yep the muscles used for hammering are the secret. Ask climo a drywaller by trade

Sorry to revive such an old thread for something so trivial, but I was searching and read this and just had to say:

You do know drywallers don't use hammers, right? Should I focus on using my screw-gun and mud-knife muscles?

Again, very sorry.

Sorry to revive such an old thread for something so trivial, but I was searching and read this and just had to say:

You do know drywallers don't use hammers, right? Should I focus on using my screw-gun and mud-knife muscles?

Again, very sorry.

Since you revived this thread I ended up reading the first few pages, you must have missed the other guy who said basically the same thing as you but 2 years ago.

Drywallers use screwdrivers. :doh:

to which this guy replied:

Do you have any idea where I can find screwdrivers with tougher handles? I've broken the handles off all of my screwdrivers trying to beat in all these pesky drywall nails.

It looks like we still don't have a definitive answer on this forum of whether drywallers use hammers or not, so I just looked it up. Drywallers do in fact use hammers:

"For nailing up sheets of drywall, a drywall hammer is a must. It has a convex head that creates a little dimple around the nail head without breaking the paper on the surface of the drywall. This will allow you to cover the nail head with drywall mud and get a perfectly smooth surface.

Using drywall screws can go a lot faster, if you have the right tool. You want to use a special electric drywall screw gun that lets you adjust it to sink the screws a little below the surface, again, so you don't break the paper. With a regular screw gun you don't have this control."

Not sure why we care so much about hammers and drywall but now that we've got it out of the way we can go back to discussing disc golf =P

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up. :hfive:

Tmart:

Some drywaller hangers do still use nails, especially when tacking up the sheet.
But they aren't the best option and shouldn't be the primary type of fastener.
A screw gun with a clutch is definitely the best tool for the job.
Nails come loose and back out over time.
Screws stay put better and don't result in cracks and bubbles under and around the tape.

I remodel houses for a living. I know what's used and what has been used. I've definitely pulled nails that were holding up drywall. I might have even used nails drywalling before. It sucks. Miss once, you just ruined an entire sheet of drywall. It's also wasteful (have to use about 4x the mud). Also, I'll bet anyone that I can find a box of drywall screws at lowes before they can find drywall nails. Really, nailing drywall was very short-lived. Screws will be around longer, and drywall hasn't been around that long. I might suppose that Climo's done more lathe and plaster than nailing drywall.

I do have a point now, though. Throwing a disc is not like using a hammer. Throwing a disc you have a "wrist down" position the entire time. Hammering a nail requires going from "wrist up" to "wrist down". I think you'd have to flip the hammer sideways or some such nonsense to make it like throwing a disc. Even then I'm not sure ...

It's more like trying to toss someone a hammer. But you don't have to use a hammer. It's just simply "like tossing something." "Hammer" is used only for visualization purposes; having discriminate end weighting makes it intuitive that you would grab the light end, and throw the heavy end to give it more momentum.

Interesting enough, the specific reason that we use 'hammer' as a visualization tool is the primary reason it could never be like throwing a disc ... each end of a disc weighs the same. Also interesting, one end of an object being heavier has nothing to do with throwing technique. You would try to throw any object the same because you can create more speed at the end of a lever on a pivot than at the junction of a lever and pivot.

Last edited:
Basically it boils down to throwing the object with leverage, in terms of a stick or hammer that would mean throwing it so that it goes end over end. You get more accuracy and distance that way, as opposed to just chucking it.

Here's a dandy historical anecdote along the same lines: In WWII, allied troops began using German grenades over their own because they came with a stick attached, which they called "potato mashers." American grenades were spherical and designed that way b/c they thought that American men would have some familiarity with throwing something shaped like a baseball. Turns out, a lot of them didn't and found the Kraut's stick grenades much easier to throw, b/c it was easier to apply leverage to them.

Basically it boils down to throwing the object with leverage, in terms of a stick or hammer that would mean throwing it so that it goes end over end. You get more accuracy and distance that way, as opposed to just chucking it.

Here's a dandy historical anecdote along the same lines: In WWII, allied troops began using German grenades over their own because they came with a stick attached, which they called "potato mashers." American grenades were spherical and designed that way b/c they thought that American men would have some familiarity with throwing something shaped like a baseball. Turns out, a lot of them didn't and found the Kraut's stick grenades much easier to throw, b/c it was easier to apply leverage to them.

"This is a golf club by the way" - Bradley Walker ;)

Sorry to bump this old thread but I was wondering if someone had the text to go along with Blake T's hammer drills. DGR is still down so I can't get it from there...

Goddamn it Nathan!!

I read the thread title, saw new DGR secret, thought Blake had come out of retirement.

Got excited.

Then saw the date.

Rollercoaster of a morning :)

Goddamn it Nathan!!

I read the thread title, saw new DGR secret, thought Blake had come out of retirement.

Got excited.

Then saw the date.

Rollercoaster of a morning :)

I did the same. I was thinking the site was coming back up to its glory. Then...this...

Latest posts