• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

^^^ FYI- Texas teams is going on this weekend, so I assume Selah may be crowded on Friday. Not sure if Trey Deuces will be open on Saturday other then the Texas Teams Tourny for this weekend?

I'll ask again...Has anyone camped there and have so decent info? Is that camping area close to the pro shop? Basically out in a open field? So I'm assuming there's no electricity or water at the sites?

What everyone else has said is right. There is plenty of firewood, and a metal swinging grate above the fire pit that we used to cook on. There was also a nice plastic picnic table at our site as well as a 50 gal barrel for trash. The campgrounds are less than a quarter mile past the pro shop which is where the bathrooms and showers are located. It would be hard to get a car down there. I would definitely suggest a truck or an SUV if you have one. Might be a little too rough for a car. The second campsite, farther away from the pro shop, has a basket from Creekside near it so it's good for some close-by practice.

^^^ FYI- Texas teams is going on this weekend, so I assume Selah may be crowded on Friday. Not sure if Trey Deuces will be open on Saturday other then the Texas Teams Tourny for this weekend?

Yea, I was hoping to play but our team fell apart when it came time to register. I won't be there this weekend. I'm going in December. As we did last year. And it snowed. Good times. This will be 5th trip to Selah.

Thanks fellas. I talked to Candy today. It only took them 24 hours to return my message. That's pretty good in Franklin County time :D

My wife and I are going to camp at Selah and play all day Friday. Then (hopefully) were going to play Trey Deuce's courses on Saturday and get a hotel that night. Sunday its Either Lindsey Blue to close out the trio of Lindsey park courses in Tyler, TX or Lake Nac in Nacogdoches, TX.

Hit me up when your in Tyler if you want to play a round or 3.

Hit me up when your in Tyler if you want to play a round or 3.

Wish I could play three. We'll be on the way back to Houston. We usually get a hotel on Saturday night in Tyler to shorten the drive the next day. We've done it twice so far where we wake up hit one of the Lindsey Park courses and head home. The first time we played Dagwood, then Red. So more than likely we'll be playing the Blue course on Sunday morning around 830-9 12/8.

It saddens me but I know its has to be done: we're cancelling our trip to Selah this weekend. The weather looks to be very unwelcoming and I'm not gonna take the time, the vacation day, and the $, to go down there and play in those condition. Seems like Selah has a weather curse or something.

11173911034_4be4c3e2da_z.jpg

I know, December isn't a good time to go, but this is the time of year when I can take days off. Doesn't look like either of the Trey-Deuce courses will be playable either, which was a big reason for the trip. Oh well, we'll have to try again in the spring time. Instead, its Austin, which won't be a whole lot better weather-wise, but we have a free place to stay about 30 mins south of town.

I just saw the 2 new reviews.... the guy gave creekside the same rating as Jimmy Porter park. Some of you Texas golfers who have played both JP and selah creekside can tell us more about that comparison as far as both being an eight out of ten. I have never given a course a 5. I think you can have a 5 disc rated mostly flat course, it just has to make up for it in other areas.

Wow, that Creekside review is pretty positive, so the 4.0 he gave seems harsh.

Creekside is now 0.01 ahead of Flip for 2nd.

Why even have a scale that goes up to "perfect in every way". That's just not realistic. A course that is perfect is virtually impossible to build and even more impossible to maintain. IMO, there's no such thing as a course that's "perfect in every way". And there never will be.

Among his cons: It cost to much. If Selah was free, Selah wouldn't be Selah. If you're rating scale is affected by whether someone built it as a business venture vs. a donation, then its fundamentally flawed. Its not his review. Who can disagree with notation that every course has room for improvement.

I just saw the 2 new reviews.... the guy gave creekside the same rating as Jimmy Porter park. Some of you Texas golfers who have played both JP and selah creekside can tell us more about that comparison as far as both being an eight out of ten. I have never given a course a 5. I think you can have a 5 disc rated mostly flat course, it just has to make up for it in other areas.

I am having a hard time understanding how anyone could give Creekside (which I played last weekend) and Jimmy Porter (my home course) the same rating. I can't even come up with a good analogy for that one.

I am having a hard time understanding how anyone could give Creekside (which I played last weekend) and Jimmy Porter (my home course) the same rating. I can't even come up with a good analogy for that one.

If you think of things on a sliding scale where you are rating Creekside as a Championship 9,000' par 68 and Rating Porter as a city park 5,000' par 54.

Personally Porter is a 3 and that is only that high because of all the great times I had with my Thursday night fun doubles group. Creekside Blue is a 5 (I didn't play reds) and the course wasn't even officially open and finished when I played it.

My wife and i are staying in one of the cabins this weekend! Can't wait to play courses for first time! Excited about reviewing them as well.

random questions for you Selah veterans....

Does the pro shop have Selah stamped discs and or scorecards?:confused:

Anyone think owners would mind if i put a go pro camera on cart? :thmbup:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, i've played a few 4.0 star courses and i can't imagine how Selah could fall into that category.... :\

^Don't want to burst your bubble are anything, but have you seen the forecast? I just looked and Saturday is 33/32 with a 40% chance of snow. I was there just after Christmas last year, with about 2 inches of snow on the ground. They didn't want us to use the carts. It took alot of diplomacy and convincing to get them to let us play Creekside 1-9. And that was it. Lakeside was icy and the cart stood no chance.

Just a caution, as they do shut down the course during winter/freezing weather.

And yes there are scorecards. Not sure if SR stamped discs specifically but i bet they at least have some leftovers from past tourneys with their name on it.

Or how the two reviews are essentially the same bullet point review (notice how he didn't write anything different in the cons section) with only a minor comment or two to differentiate them.

Then again, I like how these ratings are considered low-balled when they're 4.0 and 4.5 respectively. If anything, that's a testament to just how good these courses actually are.

stupid weather

^Don't want to burst your bubble are anything, but have you seen the forecast? I just looked and Saturday is 33/32 with a 40% chance of snow. I was there just after Christmas last year, with about 2 inches of snow on the ground. They didn't want us to use the carts. It took alot of diplomacy and convincing to get them to let us play Creekside 1-9. And that was it. Lakeside was icy and the cart stood no chance.

Just a caution, as they do shut down the course during winter/freezing weather.

I am ignoring it at this point.
I've planned this since April and hoping desperately they miss their forecast.
In-laws watch kids one weekend a year and this is it!