• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

From the organization's web page:

THE VISION OF HOPE RANCH IS A VAST, BEAUTIFUL PROPERTY WHERE WE WILL:

Build a community of Hope Homes to restore survivors of sex trafficking

Walk with the young women through our Restorative Care Program

Establish a global training center where individuals and groups will be trained and equipped to serve this population

Host events at our retreat center to serve, empower and equip advocates of trafficking victims

It will be interesting to see if disc golf remains a priority if they are successful with building a community of homes.

I don't think they mean they will be building homes in the traditional sense. They appear to use multi family housing like is already on the site for their Hope Houses. Maybe they build a few more of those. I think the disc golf will probably stay, as it is thought of as a rehabilitative activity in many circles.

Establish a global training center where individuals and groups will be trained and equipped to serve this population

Host events at our retreat center to serve, empower and equip advocates of trafficking victims

I don't think they mean they will be building homes in the traditional sense. They appear to use multi family housing like is already on the site for their Hope Houses. Maybe they build a few more of those. I think the disc golf will probably stay, as it is thought of as a rehabilitative activity in many circles.

I think disc golf will probably not stay

I definitely read it as disc golf being a very distant priority behind the sensitive work the organization does. Considering the sensitivity and care that i would assume go into restoring these hurt women, its hard for me to envision the laid-back partylike vibe of disc golf taking place at the same location. Yes yes- disc golf is "a rehabilitative activity" for most of us here but playing a fairly frigging hard frisbee course with water everywhere after being trafficked is probably not really all that meaningful rehab-wise. I would imagine hiking or fishing or horseback etc would accomplish the same goals without enticing a bunch of buzzed - mostly grown men - coming out to the property. I hope to be way wrong and look forward to seeing how they pull everything together.

The only way it would make sense to me to keep the course is if it is part of the revenue stream, but I would imagine profits from DG cant be large enough to be a big factor in this type of outfit. Luckily the property seems huge so the hope exists that whatever they do is separate enough from courses that the priority of rehabilitation and disc golf dont collide.

Time will tell

I definitely read it as disc golf being a very distant priority behind the sensitive work the organization does. Considering the sensitivity and care that i would assume go into restoring these hurt women, its hard for me to envision the laid-back partylike vibe of disc golf taking place at the same location. Yes yes- disc golf is "a rehabilitative activity" for most of us here but playing a fairly frigging hard frisbee course with water everywhere after being trafficked is probably not really all that meaningful rehab-wise. I would imagine hiking or fishing or horseback etc would accomplish the same goals without enticing a bunch of buzzed - mostly grown men - coming out to the property. I hope to be way wrong and look forward to seeing how they pull everything together.

The only way it would make sense to me to keep the course is if it is part of the revenue stream, but I would imagine profits from DG cant be large enough to be a big factor in this type of outfit. Luckily the property seems huge so the hope exists that whatever they do is separate enough from courses that the priority of rehabilitation and disc golf dont collide.

Time will tell

Yeah....this was exactly my thoughts when I read the description. Well thought out post.

It will be interesting to see if disc golf remains a priority if they are successful with building a community of homes.

homes are prob goin to be grh and they are going to rake in the money

surprised they are naming it that as most facilities like that try to stay under the radar for obvious reasons

Time will tell

Similar to what I was thinking. I just don't see having random disc golf players on the same property blending with their mission. I think the disc golf course may stay, but be private for those living there and their guests. With the possibility of having a few tournaments a year open to all.

Well, I was already planning a drive-by near the end of April and hoping my bud could fly down and disc-tour with me for 10 days back to OR. Sounds like we better make it happen for sure.

My bday is in Mid May...that is looking like my Selah window.... I WILL go this year....i have no excuse...i live way too close now

I prefer HOT weather too...so May should be ideal

Looks like the course will be fine.

Good find, MANhyzer. This is the post to believe, I'm happy to say.

Based on my conversations with the new owners, which have been going on for over a year (they quietly bough the Creekside part of the property in early 2020), I can tell you that they are committed to disc golf. In fact, anyone who's been there in the past year may have noticed the extensive work they did on Creekside #10 to help with water flow. We have also discussed upgrades to other areas of the courses. They believe in disc golf and want it to be bigger than ever at Selah/Pure Hope.

I just don't see having random disc golf players on the same property blending with their mission. I think the disc golf course may stay, but be private for those living there and their guests. With the possibility of having a few tournaments a year open to all.

Selah Ranch is over 1000 acres, so there's plenty of room for all kinds of activities. Disc golf can be and should be an operation that helps fund their very worthy non-profit work.

As far as I can tell -- and as I say I have been talking to them all along -- disc golf is there to stay and will only be getting better.

Sad to hear that Selah Ranch aka Pure Hope Ranch is closing Sept. 6th per an email from the owners shared on a local DFW facebook group. Such a shame!

Yea, if you have not played these courses, time to make a special trip just to get them in before they are gone. Going to suck, but we do have several other good pay to play courses in the North Texas area.

Someone got a little too quick on removing Selah Ranch from the active list. I do believe the courses are playable till September 5th. The email they mailed out said the courses were closing September 6th.

Never got to play the Selah Ranch courses, but I got to play another PTP Houck course back in the day, Circle-R. It was magnificent.

Never got to play the Selah Ranch courses, but I got to play another PTP Houck course back in the day, Circle-R. It was magnificent.

The Circle-R courses were definitely great courses. They were the closest courses to my house before they were shut down. I still look out the window wistfully at some of the former pin locations and fairways when I drive by there.

Someone got a little too quick on removing Selah Ranch from the active list. I do believe the courses are playable till September 5th. The email they mailed out said the courses were closing September 6th.

I made a request yesterday to un RIP them, and I just saw that they are re-activated.
If anyone wants to write a swan song review, now is the time. I think we can all agree that the guideline to not review courses we've played over a year ago doesn't apply.

I hope to see a couple tribute reviews.

The Pure Hope Ranch website still lists DG as a primary activity there. Can someone post the FB link? I'm part of several Texas DG groups and want to spread the word.

Selah was always the center piece of our summer disc golf trip. Played courses on the way there, and the way back. Sad to see this tradition coming to an end.

Latest posts