• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

The Pure Hope Ranch website still lists DG as a primary activity there. Can someone post the FB link? I'm part of several Texas DG groups and want to spread the word.

Nevermind, just saw the email.

I mentioned the course getting pulled to the owner (super nice lady btw) a couple of months ago and she swore that wouldn't happen, that the new facility wouldn't interfere with discin'. She also said they are keeping part of the acreage and looking to build an additional course but I guess that isn't happening either :(

Head North young man. Midwest golf beckons. :thmbup::thmbup:

We are doing Charlotte next month. Midwest has been kicked around, and will probably be 2023. There's one course in particular(Mich maybe?) that our leader keeps bringing up. I would be happy with KC or even Des Moines after my solo trip there earlier this year.

Yea, if you have not played these courses, time to make a special trip just to get them in before they are gone. Going to suck, but we do have several other good pay to play courses in the North Texas area.

I wouldn't drive too far to play them. From what I've read, the course upkeep has been pretty lousy recently. I had planned to drive down there in July from Iowa with a group and play it but the recent UDisc and DGCR reviews all mentioned overgrown fairways etc. and we didn't want to drive 13 hours to play on overgrown fairways so we switched back to our normal spot - The Lodge in Pawhuska, OK.

Rest in Pepperoni... that trip is a huge blur for me, but I do remember some signature holes at Selah. And nearly getting the golf cart stuck in a mudpit at the beginning of the first round!

Are there any disc golf resorts that actually have succeeded? Is that one in Missouri next in line for the experiment? Highbridge gets a lot of income from concerts, so I don't think that fully counts. Not sure if Selah even qualified, or if that was someone's backyard like Rollin' Ridge or Pieradise.

Rest in Pepperoni... that trip is a huge blur for me, but I do remember some signature holes at Selah. And nearly getting the golf cart stuck in a mudpit at the beginning of the first round!

Are there any disc golf resorts that actually have succeeded? Is that one in Missouri next in line for the experiment? Highbridge gets a lot of income from concerts, so I don't think that fully counts. Not sure if Selah even qualified, or if that was someone's backyard like Rollin' Ridge or Pieradise.

Sandy Point in Wisconsin has lasted for many years (25 or thereabouts).

I wouldn't drive too far to play them. From what I've read, the course upkeep has been pretty lousy recently. I had planned to drive down there in July from Iowa with a group and play it but the recent UDisc and DGCR reviews all mentioned overgrown fairways etc. and we didn't want to drive 13 hours to play on overgrown fairways so we switched back to our normal spot - The Lodge in Pawhuska, OK.

LOL, The Island course was SO overgrown when I played there a couple of years ago. The Moccasin course was in decent shape though, although I did loose a disc in the rough.

In Texas we have

Moody's Disc Golf Ranch (1998) Camping and a cabin available
Shawshank (2004) - no camping
Spring Valley (2005) - No camping
Flying Armadillo (2015) - I don't think they are allowing camping at this time
Dino Hills DG Farm (2021) - Camping available
The Hideaway (2021) - I don't think they are allowing camping
BlackBerry Pines (2022) - Camping Available

There are other private courses, But these are ones that are open most weekends and are easy to play. Others depends on the owner and if they are around.

In Texas we have

There are other private courses, But these are ones that are open most weekends and are easy to play. Others depends on the owner and if they are around.

Curious why you didn't list Trey Texas Ranch... I know the Trey Deuce side is for sale?

Oversight on my part

Trey Texas Ranch (2013) - I do believe you can rent the saloon or the smaller trailer home on the property. Not sure about camping.

For fun, lets list all the private courses I know about in Texas

Mission 22 - Must contact owner to play (unlisted here)
Fossil Creek - Must have owner permission to play (unlisted here)
Beaver Dam Disc Golf Trail - Must have owner permission to play
DL Jackson - Must have owners permission to play
Dogwood Trails - Must have owners permission to play
Dreamland DGC (2021) - Open 7 days per week, multi sport complex with decent disc golf course
Flat Creek DGC (2017) - closed on Tuesday/Wednesdays
Holy Rocks (2015) - Open for play, with owners permission, I do believe they were working on accommodations at one time, don't know if they have it done yet.
Junction Golf Club (2016) - golf course with disc golf available. No camping here.
Lake Travis Disc Golf Destiation (2021) - Golf course with 2 disc golf courses available. Closed on Tuesdays
Out of Bounds (2017) - Pro shop on site
Rocky Hills (2015) - Must have owners permission
Southern View Classic (2016) - Call owner for permission, onsite pro shop
Swordstone (2013) - members only course. Open for tournament play so keep an eye out.
Texas Golf Center (2019) - 9 hole disc golf course on a 9 hole executive ball golf course.
The Jaranator (2012) - Owner must be present to be able to play this one
The Zip (2020) - Open 7 days a week
Underwood Golf Complex (2018) - Disc golf around a ball golf course
Wong Way Woods (2021) - 12 holes behind a restaurant/Bar
Stix Icehouse (2021) - 9 hole course behind a restaurant.

These are all the private or pay to play courses I have played in Texas. I didn't list any church/camp courses or parks you have to pay to get into.

In Texas we have

Well, sure, but I was thinking more of places that were promoted as "resorts"... places with actual rooms available that were trying to stand alone with the income from green fees and lodging fees.

I've only played Shawshank on that list, but it is definitely not a resort, almost the exact opposite! Maybe I'm mistaken on the purpose/reason Selah was built in the first place.

i've only been a handful of times and i'm not in the know... but i always got the impression it was a Christian retreat center first, DG and camping second. i assumed the courses were built to diversify the income that could be made on the property. however, i'm certain that the vast majority of disc golfers that ever played there didn't rent a room.

Recently I visited Justin Trails in WI. I believe the course has been around for about 24ys. They only charge 10$. Of all the private courses I have played
Justin Trails by far exceeds in professionalism and course maintenance. This disc golf resort has got it going on.
https://justintrails.com/disc-golf-wisconsin/

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1406

Well, sure, but I was thinking more of places that were promoted as "resorts"... places with actual rooms available that were trying to stand alone with the income from green fees and lodging fees.

I've only played Shawshank on that list, but it is definitely not a resort, almost the exact opposite! Maybe I'm mistaken on the purpose/reason Selah was built in the first place.

I am not convinced we are at a place where a disc golf exclusive "resort" is feasible. I mean supported by disc golf and offering a measure of amenities, in addition to lodging. I am in, if this happens.

I think the best opportunity is ski and golf resorts that find disc golf a niche offering.

LOL, The Island course was SO overgrown when I played there a couple of years ago. The Moccasin course was in decent shape though

The Lodge tries to publicize the fact that they don't maintain the Island course in the summer, which is why we try to go in the spring or fall.

I am not convinced we are at a place where a disc golf exclusive "resort" is feasible. I mean supported by disc golf and offering a measure of amenities, in addition to lodging. I am in, if this happens.

I think the best opportunity is ski and golf resorts that find disc golf a niche offering.

I think a ski resort is a great thought. They are busy from (generally) Dec-Mar, pretty much the low season in most areas for disc golf, though some northerners may disagree. Once the snow melts, they pretty much have nothing going on. Even nice ones like Taos in NM. A few tourists go there in the summer, but not many. Another one I am thinking of is Snowshoe in WV--plenty of room up there for a course, and they already offer abundant summer activities--this could just add to it. Really, any ski slope could be an interesting place for a course (would likely want rollaway baskets, skiing and baskets in concrete don't mix too well).

AND...since we are talking ski resorts here, they are generally cooler throughout the year than most areas, and have built in elevation, and every one I have been to have abundant forests too, and...

/*wonders if pitching courses to ski resorts could be a full time job*/

I think a ski resort is a great thought. They are busy from (generally) Dec-Mar, pretty much the low season in most areas for disc golf, though some northerners may disagree. Once the snow melts, they pretty much have nothing going on. Even nice ones like Taos in NM. A few tourists go there in the summer, but not many. Another one I am thinking of is Snowshoe in WV--plenty of room up there for a course, and they already offer abundant summer activities--this could just add to it. Really, any ski slope could be an interesting place for a course (would likely want rollaway baskets, skiing and baskets in concrete don't mix too well).

AND...since we are talking ski resorts here, they are generally cooler throughout the year than most areas, and have built in elevation, and every one I have been to have abundant forests too, and...

On paper this seems like a perfect idea. I've played quite a few courses at ski resorts, and pretty much all of them are just...blah. Not so much the golf itself, moreso the afterthought feel of the courses themselves. Crappy baskets, crappy tees and signage, wonky flow, lack of maintenance, etc.

Playing more than one round at a ski hill course in a single day makes my quads hurt just thinking about it :gross:

Snowshoe had a slopes course for a couple of summers maybe 15(?) years ago. Obviously it didn't last. IMO the potential of ski slope courses actually on the slopes is over-rated. Flat tee areas are almost non-existent and mowing is a huge challenge. I do think somewhere like Snowshoe could have a functioning course away from the slopes quite easily.

Snowshoe had a slopes course for a couple of summers maybe 15(?) years ago. Obviously it didn't last. IMO the potential of ski slope courses actually on the slopes is over-rated. Flat tee areas are almost non-existent and mowing is a huge challenge. I do think somewhere like Snowshoe could have a functioning course away from the slopes quite easily.

Snowshoe does have a course for the summer months. I was just up there in Dec-20 and saw a couple of the baskets while skiing, never missed an imaginery putt while riding the lift up. :D

Its listed on here as 18 holes, but no map of the location. UDisc has several listings (shocker!) but the 9 hole listing is the only one with a map. Those holes are down at the bottom of the hill, not too far from the lake, that's where I saw one of the baskets, just starting up the lift.

Along with their mountain biking and golf course, they are building into a 4 season resort. But, the DG course looks like it's just a minor element of the summer activities, certainly not a destination course.