• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shawnee Park - Plano TX - Input

sp1n

I am looking for some of the locals that play on the course and participate in the minis and course up keep. I have talked to the city and they want to meet to discuss course upgrades (tee boxes, mulch, sinage, etc) and I would like a few of you more familar with the course to be involved.

This all was started by a simple email inquiring about concrete tee pads, and now they want to meet. This could be a great opportunity for the course adn Plano. If you have any input or interest in helping please contact me ASAP.

Toby Whisenhunt
PDGA #38176
dj_toby_one at yahoo dot com

I think that use could be made of the remainder of that field beyond the shared tee/hole at 17. Or maybe a hole or two in the woods that would throw along/across the creek. It's a decent course but the two shared tees (since the expansion to 18 holes) has always bugged me.

Last edited:
I'm not a local but I have some opinions on Shawnee Park because my brother makes me play it everytime I go to Dallas.

This park is a bad case of the "We will not settle for anything less than 18 holes". There is not enough land in the park for 18 holes but that did not stop them from laying 9 newer holes right over the top of the original 9 holes. When you play you basically play the same 9 holes twice but with slight variations. Some of the holes share tee pads and some share both pad and Pin but with different mandatories to the hole. There is a sidewalk down the middle of the park and with all the holes crammed in so tightly you have to wait, not only for pedestrians on the sidewalk, but DGers on other holes that may be crossing your fairway.

The best thing for that park would be to use some of the land further down the creek and re-design the entire layout to get the new 9 off the top of the old 9. If that's not possible then go back to nine and spend the money you saved to make it a spectacular 9 hole course and plant some shade trees in the open areas.

The expansion to 18 holes bugs me. Nothing says a course needs 9 or 18. If you can only get in 10 decent holes, you should only do 10. The overlapping fairways and mados are crazy. The course is a safety risk.
The last I heard about crossing the creek or using more land was shot down. Something about we can't cross the creek because it needs to be handicapped accessible?

The expansion to 18 holes bugs me. Nothing says a course needs 9 or 18. If you can only get in 10 decent holes, you should only do 10. The overlapping fairways and mados are crazy. The course is a safety risk.
The last I heard about crossing the creek or using more land was shot down. Something about we can't cross the creek because it needs to be handicapped accessible?

There is precedent in some other places of having a course with multiple degrees of handicapped accessibility. I'm thinking of Ashe Lake in MS where they have a ranking system of accessibility, with a short loop of holes being totally wheelchair friendly (paths from the walkways directly onto the teepads), and the baskets have bells on the tops you can ring is blind people want to play and have something to aim at... it sounds kind of crazy, but it's cool.

From the course description: "This course is unique in that it has a tier system to describe the accessibility of the course. Tier 1 - Game of Nine. Tier 2 - Four Holes in a loop that has wheelchair access throughout with tees adjoining path. Tier 3 - Wheelchair access to holes and acceptable grade for wheelchairs. Tier 4 - Wheelchair access to holes, but challenging terrain features. Tier 5 - Conventional 18 hole Disc golf course without wheelchair paths."

The park has a nine hole course with highly-accessible tees and an 18 hole course across the pond that is much more rugged. They've provided handicapped accessibility -- LOTS of it -- on the main holes. And then on the other holes, it's pretty much disc golf as usual. The course has gotten a lot of good press in the media for being so accommodating. It might be possible to pitch something similar -- a tier system -- and have a few holes at Shawnee that are accessible to everyone and then a back nine for those who are more serious.

I used to play Shawnee pretty often when I lived out in Richardson, but that was before they overlaid the new 9 on top of the old 9, so I haven't seen the current layout and what it plays like.

Since it's one of the oldest course, it should be brought back to its original state. I heard somewhere it was the first in Texas ( not sure how correct that is) I believe Fort Hood had the first.

Who knows? Can't believe everything you read.

I've heard BWP say that they were the oldest baskets in Texas. Again, I don't know how accurate it is.

I don't do any of the mini's but this is my home course as it's just down the street from me and would be willing to help out where I could.

I think really a nice 9-12 hole course with concrete tees and multiple pins would be fine. Instead of calling it an extra hole just have an extra pin and move them once a month or whenever. Save the money for extra tees(only 9-12 instead of 18) and use it for some trees as mentioned by someone else.

I regularly just carry a bunch of discs and throw each tee and basket at the same time, or sometimes just pick one, and just walk around the course once and go home. Great for getting a quick round in.

I played this park again yesterday, and there is still a lot of space to play with on the east end of the park. There's a field, more tree-line, and from a glance I would imagine there's room for a hole or two around that pond. It wouldn't swing you back to your car after 9 and 18, but it wouldn't be so cramped. As it is, I'm glad this park is never too busy because half of the fairways overlap each other, which leaves it waaaay too open for someone to get wanged in the head.

Also, if this park was spread out more, I wouldn't have to get so angry at the people that play the holes out of order. Yesterday these high school kids played 1 then 10, over to 2, 3, whichever hole they're closer to on the shared 4/13, then they throw from 14's tee to 5's basket since it's the one they can see. Kills me every time.

They will not give up any more land. The stupid left/right mando hole is the only land they were willing to give to Marc when he got the new baskets and "redesigned" the course.

I got to play Shawnee when I vacationed down there last October. Turning that into a 9-hole multiple tee/multiple placement course would be a far cry better than that overlap design they have now. It would also free up the extra baskets for another course in the future.

Thanks for all the input. I still need to schedule a time to meet with the city to discuss the tee boxes and layout. In an email reply I got they suggested not wanting to do cement tee pads since they might need to move a hole and they don't want something that permanent. I asked what hole and never got an answer.

It sounds like more land or getting to develop across the creek is unlikely. I hear that large field is used by football and soccer at times for practice, so that would likely mean a no go for us.

Does anyone know how to contact Marc? I feel like although I am enthusiastic about improving the park, I could use the input of some of the higher level regulars that play out here.

To update those of you may be interested. I talked with a couple of gentleman from Plano's Parks Dept about Shawnee and possible upgrades. A few things came from this initial meeting that seem promising, but this was only a first meeting.

1st the disc golf program has been moved to the Athletics section of the department. They seem very interested and excited to grow disc golf in Plano. They are most familiar with softball and soccer, and in that vein have an interest in trying to start a league at some point. This would be open to Plano and non-Plano residence and could include singles, doubles, or both.

2nd. Long term plans are in the works to build a pro level course in the area at the end of Chaparral Rd. They are planning to build a sports complex and want to have a course designed to go along the creek. They also want it to be a single use facility - keep disc golf and park goers separate. (No funds have yet been allocated, so this is in the very early stages.)

3rd. They see Shawnee as a casual players course, and do not want to sink too much into its upgrades. Trash cans and benches are something they are very much in favor of. They are looking into either a granite stone (like gravel but wont scatter) or cement tee pads. They are not opposed to the planting of a few trees in strategic areas as well.

4th. They are hoping we can establish a club or group that can help in making decisions concerning disc golf in Plano. Some minor work / course up keep may be involved as well, but for the most part they are looking for a group of individuals to deal with the disc golf part, and they will be happy to deal with the admin and support part. They are used to operating this way with some other local athletic groups.

5th. They hinted at the idea of setting up temporary courses in other facilities to integrate into the league aspect. They thought setting up a course and having everyone play it blind, be it at a soccer complex, softball complex, or some combination on an off weekend would be an interesting wrinkle.

All in all it was a positive experience. It might be lip service, but they seemed genuinely interested and had done some research prior to our meeting. I still have not gotten a chance to talk with the more active locals about this yet. If you frequent the park I would like to hear from you. Issues concerning hole placement, removal, tee boxes, etc. should be evaluated from a few angles.

Thanks for your input and support for disc golf in Plano. Post your ideas or feel free to email me.

We are working on starting the Collin County Disc Golf Club. It will be to expand disc golf throughout the county. Cities take you more serious when you're with a club. We are still working on Towne Lake and Princeton. I work about a mile from Shawnee if you want to meet out during lunch.

Send me your contact info and let's discuss.

Mike Brown
[email protected]

Latest posts