• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe Advice?

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
I'm 48 and my right (pivot) knee has begun to act up. First it was a twinge when going down stairs (never up), then it really started aching. I know, I know, I should get to the doctor. In any case, this has me thinking a lot about what my pivot leg and foot are or aren't doing. I know it's considered best to not have the knee bent and pivot on the heel and not the ball of the foot, and I'm trying hard to do that (oh good, one more thing to focus on and make my throw go wonky). I'm wondering if anyone has some advice on shoes. When I started playing I usually wore sandals, but a couple times having a stick ram into my toes put an end to that. I now wear a low hiking shoe (not a boot) with good traction. I know there are shoes specifically for disc golf, though I have some doubts about them. Has anyone ever come up with a shoe that the pivot foot could have a 'bump' pop out to make an easy pivot point? Something like those shoes with the hidden wheels, but that just pops a bump out of the heel that can be retracted for regular walking would be nice. Barring that, what have y'all learned about footwear in your time playing?

I've learned a few things. There is no perfect shoe. Like you said, sandals are out on the course, people play barefoot, in sneakers, skate shoes, hiking boots, those little shoes with toe holes. They're like putters, all about that feel in my opinion. Strangely enough, they are also similar to the putter in that it's NOT the shoe, it's the person wearin it. I've learned that I TRASH shoes in the course, about a year and it's time for something new. As far as the sole thing you're talking about. I don't think anyone at a shoe company would ever float the idea for fear of losing their job. 'Might' be functional for a month before it ground down flat, and until then you'll walk like a gimp with one taller shoe.

I've used Keens recently, before that various skate style shoes, a pair of low top Garmont hikers, regular old basketball shoes, you name it. I hate tall soles in DG shoes though

Last edited:
I now wear a low hiking shoe (not a boot) with good traction. I know there are shoes specifically for disc golf, though I have some doubts about them. Has anyone ever come up with a shoe that the pivot foot could have a 'bump' pop out to make an easy pivot point? Something like those shoes with the hidden wheels, but that just pops a bump out of the heel that can be retracted for regular walking would be nice. Barring that, what have y'all learned about footwear in your time playing?

Sole preference is personal and regional. I think low hiking/trail running shoes are best, but I could see the benefits of going up to mids. I hear a lot of love for the Hi Tec Figaro, which looks to have a pivot-friendly sole. As far as soles with high raised points, La Sportiva has some crazy sole designs.

The best DGCR shoe advice I've tried is building up my left toe with Shoe Goo. Others have recommended pitching toe stuff, which I want to try, but I still have half a tube of Shoe Goo, and a couple layers usually lasts a few rounds.

Others have recommended pitching toe stuff, which I want to try, but I still have half a tube of Shoe Goo, and a couple layers usually lasts a few rounds.

Called Tough Toe and it lasts forever. I have actually considered adding to the soles of my shoes when I start to wear them down. Of course, the Tough Toe does not get as much direct stress as a shoe sole, so I don't know if that is actually a good idea.

I'm 48 and my right (pivot) knee has begun to act up. First it was a twinge when going down stairs (never up), then it really started aching. I know, I know, I should get to the doctor. In any case, this has me thinking a lot about what my pivot leg and foot are or aren't doing. I know it's considered best to not have the knee bent and pivot on the heel and not the ball of the foot, and I'm trying hard to do that (oh good, one more thing to focus on and make my throw go wonky). I'm wondering if anyone has some advice on shoes. When I started playing I usually wore sandals, but a couple times having a stick ram into my toes put an end to that. I now wear a low hiking shoe (not a boot) with good traction. I know there are shoes specifically for disc golf, though I have some doubts about them. Has anyone ever come up with a shoe that the pivot foot could have a 'bump' pop out to make an easy pivot point? Something like those shoes with the hidden wheels, but that just pops a bump out of the heel that can be retracted for regular walking would be nice. Barring that, what have y'all learned about footwear in your time playing?

Wear what is comfortable not what the top pros or manufacturers advertise but do not go with cheap shoes. You can find some real bargains on Sierra Trading Post, Backcountry and other sites but I suggest you find a pair at a local outdoor store, try them on and then order them unless you are willing to pay upcost. Also, once you find shoe you like buy a couple of pairs as most of the shoe companies consistently discontinue popular styles other the Merrell Chamelions. Dependent on the frequency you play and surfaces (e.g., concrete pads), you may need to purchase shoes a couple of times per year so plan on an annual budget of at least $150-$200 with my suggestions.

Wear what is comfortable not what the top pros or manufacturers advertise but do not go with cheap shoes. You can find some real bargains on Sierra Trading Post, Backcountry and other sites but I suggest you find a pair at a local outdoor store, try them on and then order them unless you are willing to pay upcost. Also, once you find shoe you like buy a couple of pairs as most of the shoe companies consistently discontinue popular styles other the Merrell Chamelions. Dependent on the frequency you play and surfaces (e.g., concrete pads), you may need to purchase shoes a couple of times per year so plan on an annual budget of at least $150-$200 with my suggestions.

Nothing you do in disc golfing is better for your overall health and well being than buying the correct shoe. I say correct, b/c as a former shoe salesman in high school and college, most people are not wearing the correct fitting shoes. They usually just find something close enough and settle. This is much harder and noticeable for people like me with wide feet, but I would say 60-70% of customers I used to have would just want to buy the same size they had in their old shoe, regardless of brand or style. This can not only make your feet hurt, which is never fun, but cause real problems with your knees and back because you are walking funny to compensate for the ill fitting shoes. So, be prepared to spend money and get quality shoes. But more importantly, be prepared to spend TIME and shop around for the shoes that fit not just ok, but well.