• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe Glue

GirdleRoc

Birdie Member
I have a pair of Teva hikers for disc golf. The sole is starting to separate from the upper portion.

Two questions:
Any recommendations on glue to fix this?
Any idea why this would happen?

Besides the separating these shoes are waterproof with excellent grip.

I have a pair of Teva hikers for disc golf. The sole is starting to separate from the upper portion.

Disc golf is rough on shoes in general. I tried Shoe Goo to prolong the life of my favorite style of discing shoe (until the soles started separating), and it didn't last very long at all. I wound up replacing the shoes instead of more Shoe Goo.

Sorry man. You're pretty much SOL.

Two questions:
Any recommendations on glue to fix this?

Besides the separating these shoes are waterproof with excellent grip.

Shoe goo will fix it, I use it on dg shoes often and it works great. For best results spread it on both surfaces, let it sit 2-3 minutes, then press together and wrap tightly with something -- I use clear packing tape wrapped really tight. Let it sit for 24 hours and you're good to go. Will not separate again.

Gorilla glue. In my opinion there is no equal. Have been using it on work boots, hiking boots, and disc golf shoes for years and have had no issues with the glue separaring.

I've had good luck with Shoe Goo on Teva and Keen soles. It is important to get both surfaces as clean as you can and clamp the repair overnight. I use a couple of woodworking clamps, or a bunch of rubber bands on curved surfaces.

Shoe goo is good for reinforcing areas that wear frequently- like the outside edge of your plant foot, but to reattach the sole I would go with a dedicated adhesive. A strong construction adhesive like Loctite that comes in a caulk tube- I use that stuff almost daily doing retail construction and maintenance- bonds to almost anything and holds like crazy.

Shoe goo is garbage. I've been using contact cement for much greater effect.

I picked up something called E6000. I found it at Walmart in the arts & crafts section. It is made for bonding fabric, rubber and clothing for arts & crafts. This is the best stuff I have found. I have also used gorilla glue and other super glue type items but the E6000 has worked best. Also it is a nice big tube for the price of the smaller glues out there & did not dry up in the container after sitting for a while:clap:

I picked up something called E6000. I found it at Walmart in the arts & crafts section. It is made for bonding fabric, rubber and clothing for arts & crafts. This is the best stuff I have found. I have also used gorilla glue and other super glue type items but the E6000 has worked best. Also it is a nice big tube for the price of the smaller glues out there & did not dry up in the container after sitting for a while:clap:

I tried E6000 but it is too runny, did not work well at all. Shoe goo is thick and easy to apply, stays where you put it.

E6000 is great stuff, just get the metal tube version and not the liquid spray bottle version.

You can nearly reconstruct a pair of shoes from a pile of scraps with this stuff, it also works great on fabric, I glued a belt loop down with it that had broke the stitching twice, lasted 2 years with the glue then eventually the denim around the repair gave out.

Yes, E6000 is a bit runny, not very thick. Yes, the one in the toothpaste looking tube. I like it a little runny to get into the cracks. Use very little at a time and place shoes on some cardboard or newspaper so it does not get all over the counter/floor.

I tried Gorilla Glue and besides using too much and having it seep onto the outside of the shoe it has worked great!

The original Gorilla glue (not their version of "super glue") works pretty well but it expands and is tan/light brown so it may not look the best.

The original Gorilla glue (not their version of "super glue") works pretty well but it expands and is tan/light brown so it may not look the best.

That's exactly what happened. I was able to scrape off a bunch so it doesn't look too bad now.

So it looks like I am just going to go out and buy a new pair of shoes :(

The glue has failed already.

Well you could always try shoe goo, I have used it extensively and it has never failed to hold the bond. Just be sure to treat both surfaces and allow to set for two minutes before bonding.

Yes, E6000 is a bit runny, not very thick. Yes, the one in the toothpaste looking tube. I like it a little runny to get into the cracks. Use very little at a time and place shoes on some cardboard or newspaper so it does not get all over the counter/floor.

Tried this, was extremely ineffective. I've read that shoe repair folks use a toluene glue but can be hard to find.

Latest posts