• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoe Preferences?

tdonovanj

I am just curious as to how much credence everyone puts into their choice of footwear while playing this sport? I am very much a newbie, only having about a month of experience, although I did take a 2 hour lesson from Dan Ginnelly while at the SF Giants SPring Training in Scottsdale, AZ last week! One of my better ideas, he was fabulous!
Getting back on point....I have been wearing Vibram Five Fingers ( to play. They are "barefoot" type shoes, very flexible with individual toes. I wear them all summer for everything from jogging to bouldering.
My question is this, does the type of footwear affect your throws? What do you all wear?
Heres a link to see what I wear while playing.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-KSO-Mens.htm

Thanks!

Tim Donovan
Pioneer, CA

I've worn some KSOs and they work better for DG than you'd think. I usually stick to my Merrells Moabs b/c DG has shredded so many of my shoes and I want to keep my KSO's as long as possible. With the Merrells, you don't really have to be so mindful of where you step either.

I've played in tennis shoes, matterhorn boots in the snow, sandals, barefoot, sketchers shape-ups and so on.

What shoes you have on is probably the last thing you need to worry about.

Wear what's comfortable.

There are so many shoes out there to kick around in having something that is made for 'DG' is not needed. Find something comforatble for long hikes.

I prefer the mid type shoe/boot for a bit more ankle support on long days.

Dunham insulated leather boots or off brand waterproof ankle high hikers in the winter depending on the conditions.

low cut Timberland hikers or NB sneakers in the summer.

Its footing that affects my throws, not necessarily my shoes. I wear what's comfortable.

I prefer a pair of Nike cross trainer shoes. The courses down here can be kind of brutal, so a sturdy pair of shoes is def. needed. I see people trying play in sandals or barefoot once in awhile! lol.

My major requirements are that I need good enough traction to get up muddy/slippery slopes, I have to get decent traction in wet grass and I have to be able to pivot well on cement. I find that "trail running" shoes tend to fulfill all of those requirements really well.

I have worn a lot of different types of shoes to play disc golf.
They get shredded on the concrete teepads.
I now just get whatever is on sale and fits, so when I ruin them - I don't feel so bad.
Throwing away a $150 pair of shoes because the toe is gone hurts worse than a $50 pair.

Combat Boots!

I need waterproof boots for wading into ponds and creeks.

I have been using a pair of Adidas Kanadia TR's for about 8 months and got them for about $30 at Kohl's. They work great. You won't see me spending $100+ on shoes that are "made for disc golf." Just find something cheap and comfortable.

ive got a pair of new balance that ive had for about 3/4 years and are still in great shape. I also have the kso treks and wear them alot in the summer. i tend to do a toe drag when i flick, pulling the big toe of the 5fingers, so its normally sandals in the summer which i slip off to throw, or just a pair of nike shox that have seen more miles than my car, not really, but they are comfortable

I was playing in some old new balances and then a pair of asics. Then another pair of asics. I got some VFF TrekSports a month or two ago and they're GREAT. So far no significant signs of wear (playing 2-3 times a week as well as the occasional jog). I'm a biggun at 6'2" 265lbs. You do have to watch where you step for roots and sticks and stuff. But, I feel like the traction is great on and off tee pads and I'm loving the absence of my normal knee and lower back pain. I ran last night in regular tennis shoes and remembered why I love these things. Plus its always 99 degrees down here, so the breathability is unbeatable. I really want a pair of those new komodo sports... ...

I play in my work boots: steel toed Wolverines. Some might call them heavy, but when you work in them all day and have more grip on most surfaces they are the best for me. I find them better than any shoe, cleat, or vibram foot sock that I have tried. Some of my buddies wear softball cleats and it works for them. Bottom line, try a bunch of options stick with what makes you throw the best. A single pair of shoes might not be the best option at different courses.

I like to play in mids. Very comfortable, keeps rocks and sticks out for the most park, and keeps ankles from getting torn apart by thorns.

I've played in tennis shoes, matterhorn boots in the snow, sandals, barefoot, sketchers shape-ups and so on.

What shoes you have on is probably the last thing you need to worry about.

Wear what's comfortable.

I disagree 100%. You need something with some traction. This is what I wear:

New Balance 573 All Terrain. Great traction, super comfortable, (even better with Dr Scholls Sport Inserts) and under $70 at Sports Authority. Best Disc Golf shoes I have ever used. Shoes are very important.

MT573BS_lg.jpg

Merrel hiking shoes with vibram soles. I was at a mini the other day, and the two best players had my exact shoe. Great grip, durable, weatherproof

I play in my work boots: steel toed Wolverines. Some might call them heavy, but when you work in them all day and have more grip on most surfaces they are the best for me. I find them better than any shoe, cleat, or vibram foot sock that I have tried. Some of my buddies wear softball cleats and it works for them. Bottom line, try a bunch of options stick with what makes you throw the best. A single pair of shoes might not be the best option at different courses.

Hey Mike, you might want to check these out. I am getting these for wet and rainy courses. They have gotten great reviews and are Wolverines. $59.99 At Academy Sports And Outdoors

WOLVERINE MEN'S HUCK WATERPROOF MID HIKERS:

WolverineMensHuckWaterproofMidHiker.jpg

Merrel hiking shoes with vibram soles. I was at a mini the other day, and the two best players had my exact shoe. Great grip, durable, weatherproof

They are great, but they are also $125. Little over priced if you ask me.

Latest posts