• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should an uphill 600+ ft hole be a par 3?

Call it a par 6, does that make it easier to play?

Lol, its not an ego thing. It just makes more sense to adjust a hole's par according to how the hole plays. I'm behind dropping a par 2 on a course here and there. Not because I want the hole to be harder to play, but I think it would be fun to occasionally have a short ace run hole and those should be par 2's not 3's.

Par doesn't matter. It could be a par 17. At the end of the day the least amount of throws wins.

AGree, and add : par deso especialy not matter with disc golf. If we had a proper par calculation and our entire handicap system based on it ( like in ball golf ) then Par would be important. As it is now, it's just a number that the course designer can make up as he wants.

As it is now, it's just a number that the course designer can make up as he wants.

just like how course designers can make holes that cause discs to be thrown over roads into oncoming traffic, go over fences into neighbors' yards, have the majority of beginners lose their plastic in the water, are wide open and pointless, or are wtf random pinball adventures through the woods. the problem isn't with "par" it's with designers.

Par is purely a number. It makes NO difference in anything except statistics. (except for bragging, but who cares?)

What matters is how many throws it takes to finish the hole. Whoever throws the fewest has the box next. Don't worry about par, worry about throwing straight first, then long. :wall:

I've always heard that if the basket can't be reached in two throws, the par should be upped one stroke. Therefore, you could have an open 600-foot hole that's a legitimate par three, or you could have a double-dog-legged 400-foot par four. Semantically I understand this as a crappy explanation--"WHOSE throws?"--but it's just one distinguishing factor I've heard.

FWIW, I read that thread when I was new to DGCR. At the time, I was in the 'everything's a 3, par doesn't matter' camp, and the discussions there convinced me of the need for a consistently applied standard.
Thanks Mashnut. That's encouraging to know that my efforts have not all been in vain.

Yes, all holes should be. Easier/less confusion about scores. We dont need to copy ball golf on every point...

But if all are par 3's, The Eagle will no longer exist, sad face.
I feel like Pros will care more about this stat since they put more significance on how far below par they shoot on each course. If a course had enough long holes that are par 3's that should be 4's, then a course record could theoretically be Even, or 1 over, Lame.

Last edited:
Should it be a par 3? For ams-no. pros-maybe. We have argued over this par thing on here to death already. Whatever the course par is, you can still play them all as 3's to make it easier to keep score. And of course the number of throws you make isn't going to change no matter what the par is.

This is golf. If the hole is extremely long and difficult, it shouldnt be the same par 3 as a short easy hole. To me that is just common sense and a standard for the game of golf. Not that it matters. But it's silly if hole 2E at Mciver (1,185 feet) is the same par 3 as hole 14E (225 feet).

People forget the definition of the word "Par" as it pertains to golf. Websters defines par in a few different ways:

"An amount or level considered to be standard", "An equality of status, level, or value; equal footing"

In ball golf, golfers play the hole at the same par regardless of their skill level...however, the Tee distances vary so players play the distance they feel they could likely reach the green in regulation.

If you have ever watched a ball golf match pitting LPGA players and PGA players, those matches were set up so that the average female player was playing the same distance into the green as the average male player. They were teeing off at different locations to make sure this happened.

In principle, A par 3 should be reachable off the tee. A Par 4 should be reachable in 2, and a Par 5 should be reachable in 3. When I say reachable i mean, within the 30' putt circle.

The "problem" with disc golf is that there is typically a single Tee Pad, so Varying Par is necessary to insure equality (the vary definition of par) amongst disc golfers when multiple tee pads are not present.

Driving distance does not win a tournament regardless of if you are playing ball or disc golf. Tournaments are won from 100' and in and I would argue, more tournaments are lost on the putting green. Putting and Short game is the great equalizer regardless of skill level. You may be able to bomb the disc 200' past me but if you two putt everything, and I can get up and down from 150' and in...we will play even the entire round. I feel this is the way disc golf courses should be set up. 3 under "average" (par) is the same for a red player, white player, blue player or whatever skill level you are. You may have shot a 51, and I shot a 57, but we are both 3 under average.

the earth is flat. human's haven't evolved as a species. global warming is a hoax. 911 was a conspiracy by the bush administration. obama is a muslim. all disc golf holes are par 3's.

the earth is flat. human's haven't evolved as a species. global warming is a hoax. 911 was a conspiracy by the bush administration. obama is a muslim. all disc golf holes are par 3's.

I agree on all this except the DG comment...LOL.

we shouldn't use the word "par"....We should start calling them Never 3's.

Latest posts