• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

should disc golf go big or stay the way it is?

I might get flamed for this, but I think it would only be good for DG to go huge. However, there is only one way for this to happen--that is to get rid of a certain "something" that permeates this sport through and through. There are some that don't participate like myself. That's fine and good. There are those that do. As long as that is off the course totally, I think it's all well and good. Do what you want. However, this sport will not "explode" until the latter happens totally.

Could you see a major company such as Nike (by name) get involved when the perception is that this is all about that "something" (as it is today)? I don't think so.

Here is an IMO theory...
I don't think that it will grow because of ESPN, or Nike, or whatever else...
I think it will, and we are starting to see it happen now, grow because Cities and Towns are starting to see the value of building a Disc Golf course. It's a smaller demographic, true, but it is something that will bring people in town. How many of us road trip, or drive to the next town over just to play. Cities are starting to understand that. If you build it, they will come.

I do hope that it stays a grass roots type sport. I like the Uniqueness of it. But something needs to be done about all these noobs that trash the place. I'm not against beat downs of DG thieves that lie in wait! I also like the idea of catching them, and making them call everyone whose disc they stole. Then the person whose disc was stolen can come and pick it up from the kid in the parking lot of the DG course on a busy saturday under a Big Giant sign that says " I Stole your Discs" I like these types of punishments!

It won't "explode" until FAR more people are playing it---so many people that at least hundreds of thousands will pay to watch it (or endure commercials to watch it).

It's been growing strongly and should continue to do so, but we're a long long way from critical mass.

I might get flamed for this, but I think it would only be good for DG to go huge. However, there is only one way for this to happen--that is to get rid of a certain "something" that permeates this sport through and through. There are some that don't participate like myself. That's fine and good. There are those that do. As long as that is off the course totally, I think it's all well and good. Do what you want. However, this sport will not "explode" until the latter happens totally.

Could you see a major company such as Nike (by name) get involved when the perception is that this is all about that "something" (as it is today)? I don't think so.
The thing is that crowd happens to be more of the kind who wants to keep disc golf on the down low, so if that sort of thing is what would turn corporate America off to investing in things, well, so much the better as far as they're concerned.

I don't think that this is the major crux of why we haven't blown up though. The major crux is that there's a huge segment of the population that hasn't heard of us, or hasn't tried the game out, compiled with the fact that most DG courses are free to play. This gives many parks departments the mentality to treat it more like a recreational activity than a sport, and players the mentality that free courses are a birthright. Its a little hard to develop a market when you're fighting that.

And in order for DG to be presentable on TV, it has to develop a spectator audience. In most sports, what makes for good competition doesn't make for good TV. This is one reason that soccer has had a hard time gaining traction on television in the US (continuous play). The very design of many of our courses make it hard to get a camera crew to film things.

Last edited:

Any reasons for wanting it to grow "huge"?
Also, from what I can tell, this site seems to be prodominatly anti- pot. Though I'm not all about smoking for all to see, if that's what it takes to keep it low-key, then I'll buy a box of phillies and put em to the sky;)

Two more cents for everyone;)
as dg continues to grow, the courses really take a hit. I'm not talking about the obvious vandalism, but the natural wear of the trees, grass, tee pads...
Most casual players will only visit a few courses. While currently part of the appeal for cities is the cost involved, I think of cass Benton. It's a old worlds course that is the only 18 hole course in it's area. It's always packed. If you go early you can see workers cleaning but by five it looks like they didn't. I've even heard people say," man they need to pick up this trash". How sad. Most of the cass holes there have no sense of self responsibility- just a bunch of spoiled upper class kids and drunk old guys:( Is this the "growth" you want? Young kids climbing trees only for the sake to break em, disc thiefs that steal em on blind shots, kids not even playing- just getting drunk and high. Between the erosion, dead trees, piles of garbage, grass that's now mudd, the broken/ graffiti signs with penis pictures, and so on- it's not so cheap for the county.

Btw, bells, pepsi, viatiman water, monster, and budweiser have all sponsored dg at one time.

And would those sponsorships be counted in the 10's of thousands, or in the hundreds of dollars? I am talking about major adverts, much in the way of Buick Classic Open in ball golf, or the Fed Ex Cup... Where the top prize money is counted in the hundreds of thousands, more for the cup.

But that argument is for the NT... on the local level, a few great companies that do sponsor one of the 3000 tourneys going on around the World... show them some love so they continue sponsoring it.

But it's all about the money. As long as Company X can make a disc that Climo, Doss, Jenkins, Locastro, Feldberg, etc. would be willing to throw (even though it's inferior to an existing brand) and endorse them at levels unattainable by Innova, Discraft, or Gateway, then you'd start to see a change in the behavior of buyers.

This I agree with. However I don't think that those pros would switch unless Company X's discs were better than Innova, Discraft, etc.

If Company X were to partner with Innova or buy them out entirely, then it's still a good thing IMO for disc golf. It doesn't necessitate all of the sudden producing crappy discs, in fact it would push the technology since Company X would have a specialized segment to work on discs.

I've played basketball since I started walking. I wear Nike gear, Adidas shoes, and prefer Wilson balls. I prefer these things solely on their quality and the fact that they hold up best in competition. IMO there are too many competitors ready to snap up customers if Company X starts making terrible products.

Is Chavez's grass still annoyingly long? Spent too long disc finding there the other day and have been avoiding it like the plague.

yes it is..should gather a group together and get out there and whip some weeds/grass..luckily for me i stayed on course the whole round but i found myself helping others in my group search for theres.. it slowed us up a bit. but i dont think anyone lost a disc though.

But it's all about the money. As long as Company X can make a disc that Climo, Doss, Jenkins, Locastro, Feldberg, etc. would be willing to throw (even though it's inferior to an existing brand) and endorse them at levels unattainable by Innova, Discraft, or Gateway, then you'd start to see a change in the behavior of buyers.

This I agree with. However I don't think that those pros would switch unless Company X's discs were better than Innova, Discraft, etc.

If Company X put their logo on a Polecat, and a big check in the mail to it's team players, guess what they would putt with...

The pros probably throw what they want, as long as it is in agreement with their contract, which may simply be brand-restrictions and promotion of new products.

Other sports are the same: I received cycling equipment as the result of individual and team sponsership. I used it. I wasn't at any contract level, but that's what I was given and was glad for it. Sometimes it was really good stuff, other times not as good, but it worked. Hey, my last year, I got a free bike, shoes, helmet, jerseys, shorts, tires, and alot of other stuff. Probably close to $5000 in value Suddenly, it was all really nice...I was grateful for it, and only used that stuff as much as possible, especially on race days and group rides. Which was the point...to promote.

I just can't wait until the pros wear nascar style racesuits full of lame ass sponsors.

Reporter: Avery, Avery, tell us, how did you win?

Avery: Oh man, the Massengil, Jagermeister, Olive Garden, Nike Super Swamp Rat XP was just flying pure today, it hit the green every time.

I'm not sure what this says about me, but after reading that, I heard Homer Simpson in my head saying "Mmmmm, Massengil and Jagermeister."

If Company X put their logo on a Polecat, and a big check in the mail to it's team players, guess what they would putt with...

The pros probably throw what they want, as long as it is in agreement with their contract, which may simply be brand-restrictions and promotion of new products.

Other sports are the same: I received cycling equipment as the result of individual and team sponsership. I used it. I wasn't at any contract level, but that's what I was given and was glad for it. Sometimes it was really good stuff, other times not as good, but it worked. Hey, my last year, I got a free bike, shoes, helmet, jerseys, shorts, tires, and alot of other stuff. Probably close to $5000 in value Suddenly, it was all really nice...I was grateful for it, and only used that stuff as much as possible, especially on race days and group rides. Which was the point...to promote.

Valid point.

On the other hand, if Company X did this (let's call it "Polecatting") then you would see instances of Polecatting in other sports.

In fact, the opposite is true. Technology has pushed things like the average Tee shot in golf to longer and longer averages. In Bowling 300 games are fairly common, whereas 20 years ago they were a rarity if you weren't a touring pro. In games such as DG where equipment technology dictates a major improvement in average rec players' game it behooves the companies to continually produce better products.

Why? Feel-goodery. If Company X tries Polecatting everyone, scores lower and people without that competitive mentality* will quit playing out of frustration. A good % of income for companies are people who suck. They buy discs and lose them or throw them against tons of trees so they need new ones. If they can string those players along with promises of better technology to add distance to drives or ease of accuracy - Company X continues selling product. Hell, Innova and the lot already do this.

Especially in a globally connected world with a global economy, staying on the crest of technology is paramount or you'll be bucked by an upstart company.

*There are plenty, even on this site, who play for 5-10-15 years and never enter a tournament...

it has grown like crazy and will continue to do so. it will never be a tv sport. dg is like softball- fun to play, potentially participated in by millions, never gonna make good tv.

Big is hard to define...what are we comparing to?

As big as ball golf - doubtful
Big like the X Games - possible, I could see TV coverage and the attraction of sponsers outside of the sport getting involved.

I can see disc golf big like the X Games in another 10 years.

I just can't wait until the pros wear nascar style racesuits full of lame ass sponsors.

Reporter: Avery, Avery, tell us, how did you win?

Avery: Oh man, the Massengil, Jagermeister, Olive Garden, Nike Super Swamp Rat XP was just flying pure today, it hit the green every time.

That's exactly what would happen.

it has grown like crazy and will continue to do so. it will never be a tv sport. dg is like softball- fun to play, potentially participated in by millions, never gonna make good tv.

I think it would make good TV and alot better than watching ball golf. There are more players and courses all the time eventually there will be enough for big company to sponsor it and put it on TV. But I would be happy if it stayed the same.

I disagree. I may be biased, but I think it would make a great TV sport. I think the flight of a disc is certainly more compelling than the flight of a golf ball. There are enough aspects to the game that knowledgeable announcers could keep it interesting to the viewers. I realize that networks don't see it as worth the money, and I have no clue about the logistics of actually filming a tournament. But if it was ever done right, I think it would be a great TV sport.

I'm torn though. I want my cake and I want to eat it too. I'd like it to be popular enough for it to be televised occasionally, but I don't want it to change the way the game is played now.

The best "big time" would be more courses. The rest doesn't really matter to me... I don't want to watch people play on TV... I want to play... on a new course!

Latest posts