• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I Blow Up My Form and Start Over?

Cute kid, nice video...thanks for sharing.

I can only hope my lil' one is as smooth a discer when she gets to that age. :cool: :thmbup:

Hey all, just played in what I think will probably be my last sanctioned event for the year yesterday, wanted to dip back in here and give thanks to those who helped with the form overhaul this spring. The practice paid off big time! I did not gain a whole bunch of extra distance with my drivers, but I got way more consistent with them. I DID add distance to putters and mids to be sure. My driver drives were crisp and way more accurate and consistent though.

It turns out the local Saturday c-tiers I played in were all from short tees so there weren't many holes where big arms in MA-40+ could gain easy strokes on me via that route. And to be honest there weren't many big arms I had to compete against anyway. A couple of guys were teetering on the verge of being Pro Masters ability and rather than letting that bother me I actually enjoyed being on their cards and watching them slay the course. (A guy yesterday shot a 992-rated round!! Ru4por wasn't kidding when he said Michigan has a lot of good old guys...)

Accuracy and putting were good enough to be in the mix in this awesome and fun (yet competitive) division. Me and my 250' 168 Pro Leopard shots on a dime (or 280' with a reliably stable 168 Star Valk) were just fine for all but a couple of holes in each tourney. Bringing my forehand back to life for 250' on in surely helped a lot. My putting was superb this season, kind of my calling card anyway. Never mind the 15-footer I flubbed with three holes to go yesterday...We all have brain farts once in awhile. It ended up not mattering.

I ended up playing five sanctioned rounds to dip my toes back into it this year. First round was super nervy plus I had only decided to bring my forehand out of retirement a few weeks earlier and it wasn't up to snuff yet. Shanked one way early O.B. on the toughest hole on the course for a six. 848-rated round. After that one round I had 922, 935, 938 and 917 rounds. SUPER happy with that. Won a flex-start c-tier and took 3rd out of 8 yesterday to cash! Not bad for a 47-year-old guy with a bad left hip who hadn't thrown a shot that counted in 14 years. That's right about where my ratings were in the old days too. Couldn't be happier.

I'll be back at it again hitting the field hard next spring. Maybe that elusive 350' accurate consistent drive will develop and I'll be the one other old guys are chasing in MA-40. Even if not, I'm happy where I am and can really enjoy myself at tournaments.

Thanks again. Love my Frisbee Family!

Oh, and added to this is the joy of my son joining in on the fun. The practice I did rubbed off on him and he's actually not far from my distance as a 5th grader. He shot his first sanctioned 800-rated round yesterday too! He got way better at putting over the last couple of months, and I've helped him figure out how to play smarter golf. It's a matter of time, right? In 4 years I'll be 51 and he'll be 15...

https://youtu.be/bj8mG1WmzJo?t=354
Mc5jF5Mk

7GbbQkr7

(Hope those worked!)

Hey, haven't been on here in awhile. "Spring training" has been going on for a few weeks here. Hope all of you from a similar northern climate have had the opportunity to throw like we have.

I bought a stack of Pro Leopards and am working on those. I see from video footage I'm still not opening up my hips as much as I should, but really none of this is about me anymore. My kid is crushing it and I'm sitting here wondering what I'm going to be able to do for him past this point when it comes to driving.

Edit: the throw I cued up is with an old 11x Champion Aviar.

He's about 80 pounds and in 5th grade. Still a very young puppy here, but my god, that RHBH form of his. We've confirmed 305' for him with a range finder on a hole at McDade north of Houston last fall where he outdrove and out-positioned all three adults in the round including a 950-rated player.

He's gotten better at the short game but that's the area where he will improve the most as he gets older and builds muscle mass. It's only because of putting that he hasn't beaten me in a round yet. I'm thinking by the end of this year he could actually do this.

We're signed up for a bunch of May-June tournaments, and we'll be showing up to Larry LaBond's leagues. Can't wait. I think the positive, fun non-Marine-seargent approach is working well and he loves to play so I'm going to continue this and see where it takes him.

Um...My son beat me in a round for the first time ever today. A 54 from the shorts at Vicksburg Recreation Area. That was 898 rated at the last sanctioned tourney there. He's in 5th grade. He actually played in that tournament in MJ-12, last August, and shot around 700 golf at the time.

He got me by 1 this afternoon. We were tied going into #18. I laid up from 50 feet, and he nailed a 45-foot jumper for the win.

His previous best there was a 61, which he shot the last time we played. Last week. Before that it was somewhere in the mid-60's.

He's getting quite a few birdie looks with his drives now, and has figured out that you don't run everything.

Before you know it, in three or four years, I'll never beat him ever again.

Hey, I'm back in here, which means I'm here to announce my 5th-grader beat me again from the same tees. This time it was in a real sanctioned round! His first-ever above 900 rated round too. He got me by one. Michigan HOF Classic in greater Kzoo.

Those of you who helped me through my form last year here can take some credit because it rubbed off on him too. Thank you.

He shot 885 golf today for both rounds. I only lead him by 3 for the whole tournament across 36 holes. One more round at Meyer Broadway south tomorrow...

Latest posts