• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I play sidearm or learn backhand?

A lot of people will offer advice and tell you how to play your game, but the only real answer is to do what works best for you. I've been throwing FH as long as I've been throwing frisbees (since maybe 6 or 7?) and I played baseball so FH has always been natural while BH never felt comfortable. I've worked on it and ultimately decided to do what works for me (and it has been working as I have cashed in every tournament that I've entered, somewhere near 40 by now since I've only been playing tourneys for a few years)

The question you should ask yourself is what do you want to get out of playing? Do you want to have fun? Be competitive? Possibly go pro? If your goal is to be one of the elite players then you should definitely work on developing a BH, but if your goals are a bit more modest, then keep working what works for you.

Thanks man! This is definitely encouraging. I guess I will play sidearm and figure out my game first and throw backhand when needed.

As far as discs, I love my star wraith for FH but plan on learning backhand on the champion Valkyrie I have. But then maybe I'll move to a mamba or sidewinder. I plan on picking up a teebird and a Buzzz soon considering the only fairway driver I have is a leopard and my midrange Coyote was one of the discs I lost today.

Any thoughts on these?

The Wraith is a good overstable disc to use for flicks and the Valk is a good choice to start with. Depending on your arm strength, Teebirds may be a bit overstable for your taste -- if you don't put a lot on them they'll meathook to the left -- but they're very popular and a disc nearly everyone will find useful. Leopards are a standard and Coyotes are good as well, although I prefer the Roc for midranges.

One disc that's SUPER easy to throw and will hold a line is a Discraft Comet. Throw one of those a couple times and see if you don't like that better than the Buzzz.

Good luck, bro!

I would recommend learning anhyzers and spike anhyzers with your forehand to replicate what would happen with a backhand. You rarely are forced to use fore or backhand if you can use these types of shots effectively.

I would recommend learning anhyzers and spike anhyzers with your forehand to replicate what would happen with a backhand. You rarely are forced to use fore or backhand if you can use these types of shots effectively.

Except you're going to have deal with rolling on the anhyzer, especially if it's a spike anhyzer.

Definitely.

I would advise developing as many shots as possible. Left and right handed, even if they are only falling at 80-100' to begin with. The more variety you have to play with, the easier you'll be able to see the course and quickly determine best outcome for multiple approach shots.

Latest posts