• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should the Aussie Open be Major?

Understable

Par Member
PDGA has given Jussi Meresmaa major status for his 2017 Aussie Open.

Should the Aussie Open be a major? Two years ago they got 5 Pro men and 2 Pro women (touring Pros). Due to the cost of travel it is doubtful there will be a large contingent at this year's event. Other than McBeth and Lizotte everyone else had to pay their way to the event. When you factor in hotels, airfare and car rental only the top 3 places had their expenses covered. As for the Pro Women if you combined their ENTIRE purse it still doesn't cover the expenses for one of them.

I realize the PDGA wants a major in Asia but they need an event that is going to bring in world class talent like the Japan Open would and not just hand Jussi a major because he is Discmania. Jussi needs to show it has the world class talent otherwise it cheapens the importance of Major.

Last edited:
While I partially agree, having it as a major may draw more high-end talent, as well. With it being a major, there is the possibility that more sponsors would help pony up some of the expense. Who knows.

Either way, it was a great event and I am excited to see it happen again, major title or not.

Kind of a "build it and they will come" mentality. Call it a major, and maybe the pros will flock down there.

IMHO it's going to require some serious sponsors stepping up and getting their player(s) down there. If that doesn't happen, it's going to be a sad "major."..

I'm not sure why the ability of the "top" players to attend should have a role in whether an event gets major status. We've had majors in Japan and in Europe for years and not all the "top" players are able to attend every one. The first time Japan Open was a major, I count about 5 "top" players in the field and maybe a dozen North Americans overall (mostly associated with Innova). That didn't dissuade the PDGA from giving them major status again two years later. I guess my point is why can't a major simply be the biggest biannual event on an entire continent, regardless of who attends, and let it build on itself?

That said, I think the biggest flaw in the 2015 Aussie Open in terms of drawing power was that it was announced in August/September of 2014 then held in January. Until that announcement, there really wasn't much talk or even an inkling that there'd be a major in Australia. The "top" players had only about three months to prepare for the trip. This time around, everyone has known since the 2015 tournament that the Aussie Open in 2017 would again be a major. Thus players have had two years to think about, save up/fundraise, and plan for the trip. I expect we'll see more pros make the trek this time.

And if not, oh well. The Aussies will put on a good show for those that do attend.

Should the Aussie Open be a major? Two years ago they got 5 Pro men and 2 Pro women (touring Pros). Due to the cost of travel it is doubtful there will be a large contingent at this year's event. Other than McBeth and Lizotte everyone else had to pay their way to the event. When you factor in hotels, airfare and car rental only the top 3 places had their expenses covered. As for the Pro Women if you combined their ENTIRE purse it still doesn't cover the expenses for one of them.

I realize the PDGA wants a major in Asia but they need an event that is going to bring in world class talent like the Japan Open would and not just hand Jussi a major because he is Discmania. Jussi needs to show it has the world class talent otherwise it cheapens the importance of Major.

If it meets PDGA Major requirements, there should be no issue. What does it matter who got a trip paid for and who didn't?

I'm not sure why the ability of the "top" players to attend should have a role in whether an event gets major status. We've had majors in Japan and in Europe for years and not all the "top" players are able to attend every one.

This is not 15 years ago. And with the advent of social media, it makes the PDGA look like a joke when a small group of the world's top pro are willing to show up. Potential sponsors from out side the sport are going to say "This is what disc golf considers a major? A premier event in their yearly schedule?"

JC17393;3057022I guess my point is why can't a major simply be the biggest biannual event on an entire continent said:
Using that argument the tournament should be the Australian Disc Golf Championships. In 2014 and 2016 this event pulled in more players than the Aussie Open, especially players from within Australia. Chris Finn and Jussi built a new course, put up a big purse and Australians did not support it like their own championships.

JC17393 I have a question for you... If you were standing in front of Paige Pierce promoting the Aussie Open how would you over come her concern that even if she wins first place it will not cover half of her expenses (hotel, airfare, car rental)?

This is not 15 years ago. And with the advent of social media, it makes the PDGA look like a joke when a small group of the world's top pro are willing to show up. Potential sponsors from out side the sport are going to say "This is what disc golf considers a major? A premier event in their yearly schedule?"

Using that argument the tournament should be the Australian Disc Golf Championships. In 2014 and 2016 this event pulled in more players than the Aussie Open, especially players from within Australia. Chris Finn and Jussi built a new course, put up a big purse and Australians did not support it like their own championships.

JC17393 I have a question for you... If you were standing in front of Paige Pierce promoting the Aussie Open how would you over come her concern that even if she wins first place it will not cover half of her expenses (hotel, airfare, car rental)?

I'm not promoting the Aussie Open and I couldn't care less if any of the top pros play the event (men or women). I'm only arguing that the lack of "top" players isn't a good enough argument that this event shouldn't be a PDGA Major.

IMHO it's going to require some serious sponsors stepping up and getting their player(s) down there. If that doesn't happen, it's going to be a sad "major."..

It seems Jussi has been doing very well getting the DGWT going, so I would bet with him making the Aussie Open a DGWT event, it will get even better. And I was already a fan of the 2015 with Jamie's coverage.

It seems Jussi has been doing very well getting the DGWT going, so I would bet with him making the Aussie Open a DGWT event, it will get even better. And I was already a fan of the 2015 with Jamie's coverage.

I hope you are right. I hope it will be a good event. And I hope sponsors will help to get their people down there.

T I have a question for you... If you were standing in front of Paige Pierce promoting the Aussie Open how would you over come her concern that even if she wins first place it will not cover half of her expenses (hotel, airfare, car rental)?

Answer: same thing I say to folks who bitch about the payout not being high enough to cover their cost of attending a C-tier: "Then don't come."

Ain't a TD's or a tournament's responsibility to ensure a "pro's" expenses are covered. If a player's sponsors aren't willing to underwrite the cost of the player's attendance, that ain't the TD's, the promoter's, or the PDGA's problem.

All I know is I really enjoyed watching disc golf in the middle of the winter. Watching Paul and Simone open the season in 2015 at the Aussie Open was a pleasant surprise. I really loved the course and how it played out on video. The big dogs went down under and put on an air show. Can't wait for 2017. Here is some video of the final 9 of 18 in 2015. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IIHjAB&usg=AFQjCNFyswgrvkF1GUOfL2WC3p3VHeNSEQ

Ahh, here we go with the imaginary "potential sponsors" rhetoric again, as if correcting this matter (something that in reality land would be the furthest thing from a real potential sponsors mind) would somehow make a difference.

If you were standing in front of Paige Pierce promoting the Aussie Open how would you over come her concern that even if she wins first place it will not cover half of her expenses (hotel, airfare, car rental)?
I think Paige is well aware that if whomever is sponsoring her in 2017 isn't going to at least pay for some of her expenses for such a trip, then she is under no obligation to attend.

But why am I even bothering arguing with you. This thread is just the latest salvo in your anti-Jussi crusade.

Answer: same thing I say to folks who bitch about the payout not being high enough to cover their cost of attending a C-tier: "Then don't come."

Ain't a TD's or a tournament's responsibility to ensure a "pro's" expenses are covered. If a player's sponsors aren't willing to underwrite the cost of the player's attendance, that ain't the TD's, the promoter's, or the PDGA's problem.

Nah.

I'm not sure why the ability of the "top" players to attend should have a role in whether an event gets major status. We've had majors in Japan and in Europe for years and not all the "top" players are able to attend every one. The first time Japan Open was a major, I count about 5 "top" players in the field and maybe a dozen North Americans overall (mostly associated with Innova). That didn't dissuade the PDGA from giving them major status again two years later. I guess my point is why can't a major simply be the biggest biannual event on an entire continent, regardless of who attends, and let it build on itself?

Yes to this, twice over.

That said, I think the biggest flaw in the 2015 Aussie Open in terms of drawing power was that it was announced in August/September of 2014 then held in January. Until that announcement, there really wasn't much talk or even an inkling that there'd be a major in Australia. The "top" players had only about three months to prepare for the trip. This time around, everyone has known since the 2015 tournament that the Aussie Open in 2017 would again be a major. Thus players have had two years to think about, save up/fundraise, and plan for the trip. I expect we'll see more pros make the trek this time.

And if not, oh well. The Aussies will put on a good show for those that do attend.

It was actually announced in June, at the Japan Open 2014, 3 months ahead of the PDGA's release.

Not saying the way the announcement went down was great, but it was announced and the website launched that day. If only we had Ultiworld back then ;)

Can I answer?

I would look at her and say, "Paige, you're a 3x World Champion, and it's 2017. You're more than capable of finding a major sponsor who will at least help you out. KJ Nybo crowdfunded his way to the European Championships."

Now that this absurd question has been answered, tell me why you think that's anywhere near the scope of the job of a Tournament Director or Promoter?

Also, do you understand how the PDGA bid process works? You have to have people willing to host a major, and those are fewer and farther between nowadays.

Steps to running a major in the US:
Years of running lower tier events building up in stature
Semi-rigorous application process

Steps to running a major in Australia:
have a tournament

(I am not trying to disparage the quality of the event or the efforts of the organizers who I am sure will put their hearts and souls into it.)

"Major" is just another word where our sport has adopted a tweaked meaning from convention, similar to Amateur, Pro, Par, Novice, Recreational and OB.

Steps to running a major in the US:
Years of running lower tier events building up in stature
Semi-rigorous application process

Steps to running a major in Australia:
have a tournament

(I am not trying to disparage the quality of the event or the efforts of the organizers who I am sure will put their hearts and souls into it.)

Wasn't the USDGC a Major pretty much from day one? Same for the USADGC, US Women's and US Masters. About the only US-based major I can think of that was a ground-up type build is the World Doubles (now just World Am Doubles), which was as an A-tier (as National Doubles) for years prior to major status.

International majors have guidelines and standards that have to be met as well. It's not quite as simple as "have a tournament".

"Major" is just another word where our sport has adopted a tweaked meaning from convention, similar to Amateur, Pro, Par, Novice, Recreational and OB.

And one whose usage has always struck me as a bit odd.

Some majors are simply not as major as others, in size or money or prestige.

I'm not quite sure what the term "major" means, or is supposed to mean. But it's not terribly important to me---if one of the top events on a continent or region of the world is deemed a "major", fine.

Latest posts