• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should we lower the rim width/speed regulations for distance drivers?

I see no point of reducing the rim width limits, but I also do not wish to see any wider rims than there is. Speed 14 is already so wide that not even all adult men can comfortably grip those drivers.

This bleeds into the par discussion thread.

I really think the answer here lies in better course design. There are too many courses where 500' throwers are going to have a birdie feasting frenzy because they will only have 100' upshots over and over again, while normal ams are going to have to make 250'+ upshots for the same score.

Wide open holes are okay every once and a while, but there needs to be good risk reward built into the hole design that punishes an inaccurate long drive. Or simply takes the huge drive out of the equation completely with a Mando or a specific landing zone.

Capping distance with rim width is going to lead to a less exciting sport. Boring courses are going to lead to a less exciting sport. Throwing for distance is a skill, and so is accuracy. The best pro level courses are going to test both hole after hole.

One: There's all sorts of courses, both bomber and tight wooded courses. I think it's great to have a variety of both.
Two: I don't think we should limit the human potential to throw far. I think it's pretty amazing what we can do and it draws attention to he game.
Three: There will become a point in which our ability to throw wider rims is maxed out. I don't think even the Simons and Eagles of the world could throw a speed 18 disc with any hopes of getting it very far.

This all said, I love short technical courses. I find them more enjoyable to play and watch, but there should be a variety of courses. Just because a disc has a wider rim doesn't necessarily make it an advantage.