• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Show me your event flyers!

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I want to make a snappy flyer for my event coming up this fall - I've never been all that great at graphic design so I'm looking for a little artistic inspiration. Show me the coolest event flyers you've seen.

Or if somebody out there is really generous and into graphic design and wants to make a cool flyer for me, I don't have much for compensation, but we could work something out.

Not exactly killer but I guess it's better than nothing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 70
I can give pointers for inspiration.

There are many ways to go about having inspiration hit for an ad piece. If the event is yours, the terms are yours - well then - you can now do whatever you want. Great power.

But it can seem like staring at a blank canvas. That stops a lot of would be artists - the blank white.
It's like a death stare. So if the image isn't already in your mind, borrow one and twist one.

Forget disc golf flyers. Go elsewhere for inspiration. Google image search is your friend.
Maybe start with style : pick a style or era to work with. Art Deco, Nouveau, minimalist, mechanical, 60s psychedelic, vintage travel, hot rod culture, whatever. Browse say... WW1 propaganda posters, or whatever jumps into your mind. re browse the disc golf throughout history thread, or the DG propaganda thread.

If that doesn't kick something into your head, then go to gig posters .com and browse concert posters. Tons of them on there. Concert posters are unique in that they can be completely random, but still work. Crazy stuff.
You get the point. Flyers don't have to be a silhouette of a dude throwing a disc into a clip art basket. If your graphics are not overtly disc golf - have the words Disc Golf Event, or Disc Golf Tournament featured more prominantly to compensate, say like on the top header. (if your posting it on the cork board at a local grocery store or the like)

Now to my other strong comments about event posters/flyers. The functional side and the psychological.
How you present the event will shape your attenders focus. You get what you ask for. If you highlight payout tables, and have the flyer look like a betting sheet - and do it regularly that way - all things equal you will get players focused on those features. Or you'll train them that way. If you have graphics off putting to females, juniors, family friendly demographics then don't be surprised when you don't attract them. The reverse is also true. Decide if the sheet itself has to have all the information on it, or just the enticing part with enough to get someone to check out a website reference or online sign ups, etc.

Or make one for general attraction with info links, and another small form that can print small that can be handouts and can be jam packed with details and be a 1/4 page "working flier" - ones you can have in your DG bag and pass out when you meet people. Graphics printed as a 4x6 photo are super economical, have great color and people tend to keep things printed like photos, since it feels wrong to throw them away - they tend to stay in players bags or go on their refrigerators. Most won't think twice to throw away a 8x11 copy toner paper.

Best of luck - make it fun, if you cant impress, then make them smirk or smile, make it colorful, and the people will come.

I am very new to this but here are 3 fliers I made using postermywall.com

Attachments

• Legacy.jpg
    Legacy.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Busted Bracket.jpg
    Busted Bracket.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Hundred Hole Throw Down.jpg
    Hundred Hole Throw Down.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 36
I didn't make this flyer but it's a flyer for a DG tournament near me.

Attachments

• crosstown-challenge.jpg
    crosstown-challenge.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 50
10592722_833776839980507_1415209400885480341_n.jpg

I have MANY more.........

Here are a couple of examples from club events that we have had. I liked using images as a background. I am sure you can do this with any photo editing software (Photoshop, etc.). I use Paint.NET

I like the other ones using Powerpoint by CaptainAnhyzer. Do you have templates for these or are you using existing templates in Powerpoint?

Attachments

• glowposter.jpg
    glowposter.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 19
  • 20142015glowdubsfinal.jpg
    20142015glowdubsfinal.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 10406963_10152192481902869_668541409949840739_n.jpg
    10406963_10152192481902869_668541409949840739_n.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 15
...and here are a few more.

Attachments

• trashydubsB.jpg
    trashydubsB.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 9
  • swapalooza2.jpg
    swapalooza2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 8
  • zubz.jpg
    zubz.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 8
Critique time

Thanks for all the replies all!

So I spent a good amount of time today looking through them, I guess unless we are really creative and artistic with it, they all kind of look the same.

Anyway, here's what I've come up with - any input?

Attachments

• BEEFlyer.jpg
    BEEFlyer.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 33
Looks awesome! Some contact info for questions would be good (other than the QR code)....great ideas, but I would anticipate a lot of questions with your discounted rate for partial participation and "donate a prize" thing....as well as camping costs.

Will Laura Ingles be there?

Latest posts