• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Show me your trash cans please.

Amenz

Birdie Member
I'd like to see a variety of options for trash cans. If you've got pics or can get pics of the ones that work or don't work on your course post em up. Also, feel free to give your opinion regarding what to try ad not try for keeping them from being moved, dumped all over, gotten into by critters, etc.

Thanks.

Carry in, Carry out. Best option.
AGREE. On many of our (Charlotte) courses, there are trash cans on every hole and they quickly fill and overflow (particularly in remote areas). As a Charlotte's club course director (Plantation Ruins @ Winget) there are only 3 trash cans (holes 4, 5, and 6; located for easy emptying by maintenance); the rest is carry out. We tried putting a bag at each hole, they quickly overflowed (took me 2+ hours to empty each time). We went back to the carry out option. The result is that I pick-up only a dozen or so cans/bottles EACH week (about the same as there would be with trash cans that were ignored).

Give them the opportunity, they will fill trash cans/bags.
Little or no opportunity, they carry it out. Success!

Grant it, I'm at/playing the course almost 4 hours/every day and virtually everyone knows me or have played with me. The teens fear this 65-yr-old (who usually gives them a beating on the course) and tremble if I catch them littering. Getting some of the enthusiastic teens respectful of the course can be contagious.

I prefer NO trash cans and a no littering mind set. It can happen.

Last edited:
A few trash cans were recently installed on my home course. I don't have photos yet, but they are metal mesh barrels on a round post sunk into concrete. They are currently on holes #3, #7, and #13, if I remember correctly.

This, in black, without the small-holed lid.

Metal top trash can with a cinder block on top is best option for critters. Nothing will stop the bums from knocking them over tho. Especially in Michigan where cans deposit is 10 cents.

Tyler (PA) has a can just about every other hole, give or take. Not chained down or anything but nobody ever throws stuff around, and I've never once came to the scene of a racoons crime in the decade I've been playing there. Maybe the metal lids are heavy enough? Not sure. Also not positive about the emptying, but they never(?) overflow - I'm pretty sure the park does a good job of emptying them routinely.

PS they're run of the mill metal cans w/ metal lids.

EDIT: after reading the above post, there is no deposit on cans or bottles and if there's anyone homeless living in the park it's only this one suuuuuper nice wookie that would give you the shirt off of his back.

Last edited:
The college here has a neat setup.. wood post with a long bolt with some nuts creating separation between basket and post. The long cylindric baskets can swing upside down to dump contents... really easy. Can update a photo sometime.

I imagine a setup like this with a modified pull behind trailer could dump the basket by just driving by it.

The main course here has those HUGE heavy duty barrels for storing haz mat stuff they just cut the top out yet leaving about 3-4 inchs of top rim. They work good I've never seen them blown over and people come by and collect the cans from them all the time to sell for scrap metal.

Almost all of the courses in the DFW area use metal 55 gallon barrels with the top cut out. Cheap and effective. They sell them for $12 in Tyler, TX.

Im told that places like Autobell give 30 gallon plastic drums out for free. They are a carwash place and their chemicals come in those drums.

I find all mine along the road. Just found a 55 gallon plastic drum yesterday along I-77 outside of Charlotte. People lose toter trashcans all the time.

Also, you can check with the city. toters with broken lids get replaced and Im sure you can get them cheap or for free.

Park is home to 5 baseball fields, a few soccer fields, walking trails, etc, etc, etc

55 gal drums EVERYwhere and routinely emptied (never seen one more than about 1/10 full)

I feel they are convenient enough to encourage proper placement and discreet enough to not be eyesores...still see some litter here and there, but I feel NO garbage cans at all is giving the litterbugs their excuse

JMO

I try to remember a walmart bag when I go to collect any litter, gives the kid a mission and helps wear her out a bit when she's along

one of my local course just but of 5 gallon buckets on the tee sign post. It works really well if you want to collect beer cans and Gatorade bottles. That is until some idiot decides that he wants one of the buckets for himself/herself.

My home course (Bryant Lake) has large garbage and recycling bins along with cigarette disposal all connected to a post behind the tee, on every single hole. It is pretty incredible.

Im told that places like Autobell give 30 gallon plastic drums out for free. They are a carwash place and their chemicals come in those drums.

:thmbup:

A lot of the car wash places give out the containers for free, usually 30 - 55 gallon ones. We got some where I work from a car wash in town, ended up getting 5-6 of them for the warehouse/shop. Not bad for donating a dozen doughnuts to the guys at the carwash. :hfive:

this is what we use to pick up trash at Mount Airy disc golf course in Cincinnati Ohio.
8915261312_1341847ed7.jpg
Le Tour de Trash!

Latest posts