• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Show Us Your Handicap League Spreadsheet

Kudos to davetherocketguy for actually uploading a spreadsheet. :)

Have you tried this system in an actual league? I am all for trying to things other than the simple "strokes off your average" handicapping but I am never sure how open players will be to it.

Haven't tried it out yet but I will leave it up to them and if they don't like it they can help me come up with something better.

I am not sure that I find this obvious. One of the most consistent players in one of my leagues was a guy shooting about +14 worse than the best players. So 2 strokes better than average for him would be harder than 2 strokes below average for anyone else in that league - so he would have a hard time ever winning with percent based handicaps.

That's a good point.

Well, maybe this setup would push someone to try to get themselves to be better than average sometimes. I donno...we'll see.

My inner math nerd thinks you should track players' Average and Standard Deviation and then award the winners by their z-score rather than just a percent (these are all easy to calculate in a spreadsheet). But your average player is not likely to be as familiar with statistics as they are with percentages.

Oh good googly moogly. Yeah, I ain't doing that. Not because it isn't a good idea (sounds like it is) but I just have no idea how to and I am not exactly a math nerd...

So we put in a course at work, not the best but it gets us out there. we have about 12 guys that want to play a league, could i use the template provided by davetherocketguy for this set up?

We only have 5 baskets, so I would move par to 15, and then the SSA i would place at 10?

Or is there a better way?

I am not in charge of this, so I am trying to provide all i can to assist those that are, and so far i am not liking the feedback from them. We have 5 holes, can play an additional 4, so usually at lunch the group i go with are playing 18 in an hour.

The people in charge want to only do 5 holes, which is fine, but they want a handicap league (in my opinion waste of time) but we will see.

So we put in a course at work, not the best but it gets us out there. we have about 12 guys that want to play a league, could i use the template provided by davetherocketguy for this set up?

You bet!

We only have 5 baskets, so I would move par to 15, and then the SSA i would place at 10?

Or is there a better way?

I am not in charge of this, so I am trying to provide all i can to assist those that are, and so far i am not liking the feedback from them. We have 5 holes, can play an additional 4, so usually at lunch the group i go with are playing 18 in an hour.

The people in charge want to only do 5 holes, which is fine, but they want a handicap league (in my opinion waste of time) but we will see.

I wouldn't even bother with a handicap or SSA which is a royal PITA to calculate and in my system I see no benefit to that layer of complexity. In our league we've done 2 weeks of payouts and so far it seems to be working ok. The system I am using is about as simple as it can get. We just use 3 rounds for our average in the equation I posted earlier.

The first week, the guy that won had a score of -7.3%. This week I won with a score of -17% :eek: Also, there is nothing magical about using a 3 round average. You could use more or less...

The more we use this system, the less I am worried about sandbagging. Since we are only using the latest 3 scores for each persons average even a really good golfer is going to have a tough time to make it work. They'd have to purposely play 2 garbage rounds and then play a fantastic one to cash. Of course, other players could be doing the exact same thing at the same time so it's just better to try to play good all the time. However, if someone decides to bag in that manner it will be VERY obvious in the resulting scores and we could always make mathematical adjustments to prevent it. For example, if you cash that round is included in your average for the next 2 weeks. There are other options.

Handicap Database

Instead of a spreadsheet, I developed a disc golf handicap database.
I typically use .8 as the factor, use the last 6 rounds, dropping the highest score, and base the handicap on a base score (lower than the best score for the course). That would make everyone's handicap a positive number.
If the base is 40, and I average 60, my handicap would be (60-40)*.8 = 16
But the database lets you designate the percentage, the number of rounds to base it on, and whether to drop the highest round.
It's menu driven so anyone can use it.

Really like the download. My problem is that I use my ipad for everything so can't use your database, unless anyone knows a trick.

So sorry. Since you would have to go to the Apple store for any software, check there for an Access runtime. There's not likely to be one. I hope to someday build a disc golf handicaps website. I've converted Access websites to a web based application before but there isn't anything on the calendar. It'll take more than the 10 days it took me to develop the Access version.

kind of a local rating spreadsheet ....

Simplified Rating

Not truly a handicap spreadsheet but one to address continued bagging within weekly club mini tournaments. It rates players abilities in relationship to their weekly divisional competition.

Understanding that it would be effective only on a local basis rather regional basis where there is greater diversity amongst your competitors. Clubs/organizers could actually use the rating to force players to "move up" as numbers/stats don't lie!

Am trying to include it into a database field where the last 10 results are used with the highest and lowest being dropped. Suggestions or comments?

Simplified Rating

Not truly a handicap spreadsheet but one to address continued bagging within weekly club mini tournaments. It rates players abilities in relationship to their weekly divisional competition.

Understanding that it would be effective only on a local basis rather regional basis where there is greater diversity amongst your competitors. Clubs/organizers could actually use the rating to force players to "move up" as numbers/stats don't lie!

Am trying to include it into a database field where the last 10 results are used with the highest and lowest being dropped. Suggestions or comments?

I am not really sold on the "percent difference from average" rating method since it doesn't really capture the spread of the scores.

I reworked your worksheet using z-scores instead:
zscore Rating sheet.

Using raw z-scores a rating of of +2.0 means that you crushed everyone, and a -2.0 means you were totally crushed (although higher and lower ratings are possible). An average +1.0 rating means that you beat 85% of players in your division most of the time -> move up. A -0.0 or lower means you are beaten by 50% of players most of the time (i.e. you never cash) so you should probably move down.

I rescaled so that ratings are numbers around 100: rating = (zscore + 2)/3*100

That makes 100 the rating where you should move up and 50 the rating where you should think about moving down. So in the sheet, Player F should move up and Player H should move down if possible. After F moves up, B & C have a much better chance of being in the top 3.

I've been trying to parse OP's spreadsheet, but I just can't wrap my mind around how to factor the last X-number of scores while ignoring the blank cells where people invariably miss rounds.

The handicap system I'm using is described here. Not interested in discussing better/worse systems, we've already started the season (Winter League).

I referenced OP's sheet, and it works great until COUNT(ADJ!B4:X4) gets over 5 . If there's fewer than 2 scores in the row - no hanicap. If there's 2-5 scores in the row - works perfectly. After that it's above my spreadsheet skillz to troubleshoot

here's my sheet on google. There's a Sheet for SSA's (could go anywhere), Scores, Adjusted scores and then the main page (Sheet1) is where I'm trying to get the handicap factoring to work. I have a few weeks still before I need to make this work, thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Sadly, the operation "take average of the last five non-empty cells" is VERY hard to do in straight Excel. I spent a long time trying to find a straight forward way to do it but could only come up with convoluted solutions that look really ugly and are hard to modify.

I referenced OP's sheet, and it works great until COUNT(ADJ!B4:X4) gets over 5 . If there's fewer than 2 scores in the row - no hanicap. If there's 2-5 scores in the row - works perfectly. After that it's above my spreadsheet skillz to troubleshoot

It should not be reporting a handicap at all if there are fewer than 3 scores (generally, most leagues require 3 rounds to establish a handicap.

The handicap calculation formula looks in my sheet like this:

Code:
=ARRAYFORMULA(
IF(COUNT(Scores!$B4:D4)<3,"",
    round(IF(COUNT(Scores!$B4:D4)<6,(SUM(Scores!$B4:D4)-MAX(Scores!$B4:D4)-MIN(Scores!$B4:D4))/(COUNT(Scores!$B4:D4)-2)-54,(LARGE((Scores!$B4:D4)*(COLUMN(Scores!$B4:D4)>LARGE((COLUMN(Scores!$B4:D4))*(NOT(ISBLANK(Scores!$B4:D4))),5+1)),2)+LARGE((Scores!$B4:D4)*(COLUMN(Scores!$B4:D4)>LARGE((COLUMN(Scores!$B4:D4))*(NOT(ISBLANK(Scores!$B4:D4))),5+1)),3)+LARGE((Scores!$B4:D4)*(COLUMN(Scores!$B4:D4)>LARGE((COLUMN(Scores!$B4:D4))*(NOT(ISBLANK(Scores!$B4:D4))),5+1)),4))/3-54),2)))

You want the straight average of the last 5, that should go like this:

Code:
=ARRAYFORMULA(
    round(IF(COUNT(Scores!$B4:D4)<6,(SUM(Scores!$B4:D4))/(COUNT(Scores!$B4:D4)-2)-54,(SUM((Scores!$B4:D4)*(COLUMN(Scores!$B4:D4)>LARGE((COLUMN(Scores!$B4:D4))*(NOT(ISBLANK(Scores!$B4:D4))),5+1))))/5-54),2)))

Oops, there was a typo in the second formula. This should be betteR:
Code:
=ARRAYFORMULA(
    round(IF(COUNT(Scores!$B4:D4)<6,
                (SUM(Scores!$B4:D4))/(COUNT(Scores!$B4:D4))-54,
                (SUM((Scores!$B4:D4)*(COLUMN(Scores!$B4:D4)>LARGE((COLUMN(Scores!$B4:D4))*(NOT(ISBLANK(Scores!$B4:D4))),5+1))))/5-54)
    ,2)))

BOOM. Got it. Thank you so much!
Code:
=ArrayFormula(IF(COUNT(ADJ!$B4:M4)<3,"",round((IF(COUNT(ADJ!$B4:M4)<6,
(((SUM(ADJ!$B4:M4))/(COUNT(ADJ!$B4:M4)))*0.8),(((SUM(ADJ!$B4:M4*
(COLUMN(ADJ!$B4:M4)>LARGE((COLUMN(ADJ!$B4:M4))*
(ISNUMBER(ADJ!$B4:M4)),5+1))))/5)*0.8))),2)))

Modified for my sheets/formula/googledocs. There's no -54 because we're cycling layouts at Burchfield Park where we have 2 courses, one with 2x tees/baskets on each hole, plus a custom 24 hole layout. So I handle the subtraction in a separate step and it makes no difference mathematically. Using the SSA or a rough SSA keeps things theoretically even across layouts. Whether or not one plays more to my strengths than another is a different story!

The other change was (NOT(ISBLANK(RANGE))) to (ISNUMBER(Range)) because the output for my adjusted scores:
Code:
=(IF(ISNUMBER(Scores!K4),Scores!K4-RiversEdge18,""))
The output is "" which is not technically blank, I suppose, even if it's visually indistinguishable.

Thanks again for giving me the framework and setting me on the right track!

Probably a day late and a dollar short...but I also solved the problem, and cleaned up the original file a bit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NP6mEScfb6PEbEZW0UT7kr6XF_2vftHyULvLOY9RYg4/pubhtml

Only the Scores sheet should be edited, there is a dropdown at the top to choose the layout, and the rest of the sheets calculate as expected.

Note that handicaps are only displayed on weeks in which a round was actually played, and it displays "N/A" for the first two weeks played.

I've always argued that multiplying by 80% does not work better. ;)

When I did my own handicap spreadsheet, a couple years ago, I used a rolling factor that varied between 80 & 90 percent depending on how far over the ssa the player shot. That seemed to work pretty well.

When I did my own handicap spreadsheet, a couple years ago, I used a rolling factor that varied between 80 & 90 percent depending on how far over the ssa the player shot. That seemed to work pretty well.

It doesn't fix the main problem with handicap leagues (the most consistent players don't win much). Instead, it's basically just a pure give-away to the players with lowest averages (granted, these are the people who complain most about not winning in handicap leagues).

Latest posts