• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Side hill baskets: What disc?

anything floppy. It doesn't matter what method you use to "throw flat"... all it takes is you to hit the basket, or something on the ground to send the disc on its edge.

I know Arche can attest to my luck in this regard. Once I tried to lay up and play it safe with my putter - threw it flush with the ground.. and it hit a brick embedded in the ground (to show where the next tee was)... and sent it down a ravine. It's gross what can happen to you.

After a bunch of shots on this hole there is a disc that has worked really well for me.

lightweight star wedge...it has almost no weight in the rim and pretty evenly distributed over all, so even when it catches an edge, it rarely takes off rolling. It is flexible enough to absorb some shock on impact, but not so gummy that it is difficult to release cleanly.

definitely an unusual choice and it does feel like a paper picnic plate, but it works

Last edited:
ive always found a lob type throw, like a lob putt, goes up high and flat and comes straight down flat is the best for this, and a softer putter when landing flat and straight downward will resist bouncing up and rolling more so than a rigid disc.

floppy x link soft or 4S wiz

My Kite seems to be a winner on all my up shots. I am a nube, but I think the glide helps a lot. it seems to stay put pretty good too.

I use a floppy soft Vibram Ridge for this shot. Thrown on a hyzer it will literally fold in half when it hits, spring back into shape and sit there. I keep this disc in my bag specifically for this shot, and it makes a great warmup disc for playing catch with before the round.

Another Blowfly supporter (Only Putter I carry).

The Pin locations at this place (Rotary Park & Indian Rock - Both in the same park) will make you appreciate one.

027579a8.jpg

e56d12cf.jpg

definitely an unusual choice and it does feel like a paper picnic plate, but it works

I'm definitely not surprised this was your choice. With the minimal use I've had with it, this disc stayed straight and never had any turn whatsoever, even from farther out. Sweet for upshots.

I'm definitely not surprised this was your choice. With the minimal use I've had with it, this disc stayed straight and never had any turn whatsoever, even from farther out. Sweet for upshots.

Yeah
But straight isn't the issue here.

It is sticking a side hill shot from a bad lie (ie from below and throwing parallel to the slope)

I made a crude sketch because alot of folks on this thread have been thinking I can't lay up a putt/upshot...that's not what I mean

this should clarify:

You pretty much have to take a straight lob or hyzer because the trees, brush and mustard grass take away most annys.
hole2hb.jpg

Of course: When I don't shank my drive...this isn't an issue :eek:

Like my shank from yesterday... Google Earth'd it at 385. There was a slight 5mph headwind pulling right. It didn't get higher than 10 feet off the ground.

I think the 10m brick is a good suggestion and I've never really thought about that; I'm not sure how effective it would actually be but that would be something to try out. I think the best discs for this shot are ones that you can really float straight with accuracy. I usually go with my mako for these shots and try to land it flat.

I would throw a nice finesse shot anny with my SS Wizard and let that sucker just float down at the end of it's flight. That's how I handled number six at Nocamixon this Saturday with Woodcutter. I would do the same with the hole you showed in the picture. Start the disc out maybe 15 to 20' out to the left and just throw an anhyzer floater in there and let it die right at the basket or just above the basket. I rarely get a roll away when I throw that shot.

if possible, I go for the lob shot, so it just comes flat with no angle and very little spin. Usually if I have one of those bad rolls all the way down, it's because I hit the basket and it droped and stood up somehow (I use an SS wizard thats pretty beat for 95% of my upshots and putts).

Like my shank from yesterday... Google Earth'd it at 385. There was a slight 5mph headwind pulling right. It didn't get higher than 10 feet off the ground.

At least you were shooting back at the hill almost perpendicular...the preferred shank angle!

I would throw a nice finesse shot anny with my SS Wizard and let that sucker just float down at the end of it's flight. That's how I handled number six at Nocamixon this Saturday with Woodcutter. I would do the same with the hole you showed in the picture. Start the disc out maybe 15 to 20' out to the left and just throw an anhyzer floater in there and let it die right at the basket or just above the basket. I rarely get a roll away when I throw that shot.

Add some heavy left to right wind and some medium heavy brush and alot of those finesse anny routes start looking pretty grim here. I love to throw them....just not on this one

Magic or Fuse

I have the Fuse but never thought to try it on a sideslope. My home course only has 3 holes with any severe slope. It is frustrating to go for the basket only to have it bounce off and roll away. Better to play smart and get a shot to land close enough for an easy putt.

Ah, but the joys of the "hero" shot. ;)

Latest posts