• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Sidewinder Thoughts?

Sidewinder thoughts?

• Total voters
I will add to the list of it used to be my go to long driver, but now I flip it too much. I find myself throwing a Wraith instead for distance and an SE Valk for a nice long anhyzer or S curve.

I too was a big fan until I started turning it over consistently, I still use it for hyzer flips but it doesnt really have a solid spot in my bag anymore as i tend to throw a wraith or surge on most drives.

That's straight ignorant. Did bosses/destroyers/x-cals make the wraith obsolete?

agreed. The Katana is a speed 13 disc first of all, so it's nothing like the sidewinder -- you only think that because Innova told you it was a sidewinder on roids.

agreed. The Katana is a speed 13 disc first of all, so it's nothing like the sidewinder -- you only think that because Innova told you it was a sidewinder on roids.

no....
As a driver, it handles very similar to my sidewinder. The only purpose for the sidewinder is if you have a very precise "s" line that you know you can navigate through. Otherwise, you are throwing it, watching it fade right and then pull back left slightly. If that's the case, the Katana has made it obsolete.

for noobs that want to sacrifice instant distance for form, its obsolete. For the rest of us, why would we carry a sidewinder when you can carry a beast, valkyrie or SL? The precision is "sloppy", it's flippy, and it cant hold a headwind..... If you are riding a tailwind, why would you use that disc?

Everyone falls in love with it when they first start because it's so easy to throw and seemingly gives instant distance.

That's straight ignorant. Did bosses/destroyers/x-cals make the wraith obsolete?

actually, if you can throw them...
YES.
unless you are one of those guys who carry 20 discs because "this one does the same this one, except it does <this> a little bit better."
I dont carry discs as backups, a "once a month" shot, or anything else.....

Last edited:
I'm a noobish sucker for the sidewinder! Got it in the DX and Star. Hope to beat the DX into a roller disk someday. Like the feel of the Star plastic. I have put them both away for now, as I'm working on mid range (panther), and learning the proper technique of the sling. Hope to break them out again in early summer.

I like the Sidewinder a lot. I have a 170 gr. Star Sidewinder. I use it for turnover shots in the 280' to 300' range, S curves in the 300' to 320' range and hyzer flip it for long S curves to 350' It has too much fade to flip up and really straighten out if you hit that hyzer flip just right like a Roadrunner does. But it does make a good S-line disc. Unless you turn it way over it will fade back left for RHBH.

I voted no opinion, but here is my opinion. I haven't figured this disc out yet. I need to throw it more often. I heard it was good for rollers so I am working on that. Mine is a nice glow champ version.

I think one issue that a lot of players have with the sidewinder is that once they get their form down a little better with their flat throw then the sidewinder underperforms compared to other discs with the same flat throw. Throwing flat is great but not the only way to throw a golf disc.

More advanced uses can give you more lines to the basket. Kinda the opposite of throwing an overstable disc anny. Excellent use would be for a fairway that hyzers early and then straigtens out a good bit. But, if you are presented with making a low line drive type of shot I would not recommend the sidewinder unless it is newer and heavier. Does much better with a little elevation. Sure there are other discs out there but I specifically like how the disc flips early.

I specifically like the sidewinder because it flips sooner than a beast or TL or a Valk or even the Katana. The sidewinder reminds me a lot of the old cyclones before they started messing with 'em.

Can't I just dislike it and not use it without hating on it? Why all these extremist poll options, Dave? Are you trying to railroad me into a passion that I don't honestly feel? I guess I'll just stay home and not vote. ;(

Can't I just dislike it and not use it without hating on it? Why all these extremist poll options, Dave? Are you trying to railroad me into a passion that I don't honestly feel? I guess I'll just stay home and not vote. ;(

You either go extreme or you don't go at all Lewis.

Extremely sincere,
Extreme BrotherDaveX

no....
As a driver, it handles very similar to my sidewinder. The only purpose for the sidewinder is if you have a very precise "s" line that you know you can navigate through. Otherwise, you are throwing it, watching it fade right and then pull back left slightly. If that's the case, the Katana has made it obsolete.

for noobs that want to sacrifice instant distance for form, its obsolete. For the rest of us, why would we carry a sidewinder when you can carry a beast, valkyrie or SL? The precision is "sloppy", it's flippy, and it cant hold a headwind..... If you are riding a tailwind, why would you use that disc?

Everyone falls in love with it when they first start because it's so easy to throw and seemingly gives instant distance.

actually, if you can throw them...
YES.
unless you are one of those guys who carry 20 discs because "this one does the same this one, except it does <this> a little bit better."
I dont carry discs as backups, a "once a month" shot, or anything else.....

This is just all so wrongs I just don't know where to start.

All I have to say it NO.

There are many things that I also disagree with. A SW for example is more understable than a Valk.
I recently picked up a Valk and see how it is similar to a sidewinder, but it is different. Furthermore, a beat SW can't immediatley be replaced with a new valk.

"A katana makes it obselete" is really silly to put it nicely.

I don't understand all the hate for the disc anyway. If you don't like it don't use it. Theres no reason to go out and flame the disc online

Really not a lot of hate. Only 9 hate votes out of 99 so far. I had some good throws with the SW on the practice field today. I'm gonna put it back in the bag and give it another try.

There are many things that I also disagree with. A SW for example is more understable than a Valk.
I recently picked up a Valk and see how it is similar to a sidewinder, but it is different. Furthermore, a beat SW can't immediatley be replaced with a new valk.

"A katana makes it obselete" is really silly to put it nicely.

I don't understand all the hate for the disc anyway. If you don't like it don't use it. Theres no reason to go out and flame the disc online

Valks are more nose angle sensitive than SWs too. A really beat in Valk makes a better Hyzer flip disc though, IMO. But for long controlled turnovers, SW are pretty nifty.

I love em even though there not my distance disc, like em for tight wooded shots,long turnovers and the beefy champ runs i found have more hss than the others i hav used

I've always liked the beast better for hyzer flips (for innova at least). The sidewinder is a great disc for noobs or weenie arms and used to be one of my longest drivers. So used to love it, but I've outgrown it. It was a roller for a long time but it's kind of inconsistent when so beat in.

I have thrown them a lot in lite weights to get some extra distance off the tee with no wind or a tail wind. It took a while to realize that it was a cheap shortcut for a noobie to add some distance while not really helping my game. I think it is an OK disc if used in the right way, but it has probably slowed down my improvement by a few months. If all goes well I get some extra distance, but not enough to warrant using it over a Teebird or Leopard. I have taken it out of the bag and hope to reintroduce it if and when I think it will be a god choice to throw as a hyzer flip disc. I want my Teebirds going 300' or more first. the I will play around with the Sidewinder, Roadrunner and Valk and see what works for me.

Latest posts