• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Significant others and disc buying addictions

What does your significant other think of your disc buying addiction?

• Doesn't understand it at all and is vocal about it.

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • Doesn't understand it at all and gives "the look" any time I mention intrest in a new disc.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • Simply doesn't care how many discs you buy.

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Plays disc golf as well, so they understand.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • Heck, they buy more discs then I do.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I am single, bring on the discs.

Votes: 18 17.6%

• Total voters

Waddly Hobbins

Eagle Member
I just thought I'd make a fun poll to see how other disc golfers' significant others feel about your disc buying addiction.

Personally, my girlfriend doesn't understand why I need so many discs. I own 14 ( that includes multiples of same mold ) I try to explain that different discs have different flight characteristics and that is why I have different types of discs.

Now I have a newer problem, I've found basically the discs that I want to throw and want to keep practicing with them and not branch out to new molds till I master these. This leads me to wanting to buy multiples of the molds I already own. This my girlfriend can't even comprehend. Basically, " You want to buy something you already own?"

My girlfriend doesn't care about anything else I buy, she only looks at me funny when I start wanting more discs.

I write this as I am trying very hard not to go out and purchase more discs right now.

Your girlfriend? If she gives you the stink eye for buying discs just hold up your left hand and point to your ring finger. That should take care of any future problems...lol :D My wife understands it only because her dad is a ball golfer. She equates the different types of discs to the different types of clubs.

If the misses is like most women I know, just point to her shoe collection and that ought to shut her up.

Hell ya. Everyone has their own "thing". At least buying discs is better then mainlining herion or being a serial killer. I have a closet full of plastic and a wall full as well. The only reason my old lady cares is because all of the plastic takes up space for her shoes.

When ever my wife bitches at me about buying a disc, or doing trades, I just ask her how much it cost to get her nails done every two weeks, and she usually shuts up after I bring that up, because she spends a heck of a lot more than I do.

With what she spends, I could buy a second set of quad shocks and a DX Wraith.

I kinda fall into a different category. I buy new discs whenever I feel like, and my wife doesn't really pay much attention to it. However....if she ever found out how much I do spend(because I lie and minimize the true cost when she does ask), she'd probably flip-out. I think I'd have to rationalize it by comparing it to ball golf and the costs of pursuing that game.:D

My wife has no interest in disc golf, but remains supportive with my addiction. I get to play pretty much whenever I want, and buy whatever I want no strings attached. On the flip side, I don't take advantage of that. I try very hard to arrange my disc golf outings when it doesn't take time away from my family, they are my priority.

I am actually on vacation from work this week, and she encouraged me to get out and throw at some new courses today, so I did. Got to play 2 new courses (Buffalo Trace, Garry E Cavan), and got a couple rounds in at one of my favorites in the Louisville area (Iroquois), just made a day of it.

If she is just a girlfriend at this point you have a big opportunity. Either you start 'training' her now to fit nicely into your lifestyle, and make her a keeper, or tell her to shut the hell up since she is replaceable. It all depends on how serious a girlfriend she is. I drew the line on things like that when I was dating and engaged, and my friends tell me I have the coolest, laidback wife they have ever seen. As long as your hobby isn't hurting you finanacially she should mellow out and roll with it. You don't give her **** about how many kinds of earrings, necklaces or perfumes she has do you? If you don't deal with it now you will be on eof those 50 year old guys that needs permission to wipe your own ass. I have seen it, and it is very sad. Grow some stones and set the ground rules.

If she is just a girlfriend at this point you have a big opportunity. Either you start 'training' her now to fit nicely into your lifestyle, and make her a keeper, or tell her to shut the hell up since she is replaceable. It all depends on how serious a girlfriend she is. I drew the line on things like that when I was dating and engaged, and my friends tell me I have the coolest, laidback wife they have ever seen. As long as your hobby isn't hurting you finanacially she should mellow out and roll with it. You don't give her **** about how many kinds of earrings, necklaces or perfumes she has do you? If you don't deal with it now you will be on eof those 50 year old guys that needs permission to wipe your own ass. I have seen it, and it is very sad. Grow some stones and set the ground rules.

We've been together for 3 years. We're both very understanding of each other. She doesn't stop me from buying discs, she just doesn't understand the need for more discs and I can never make really good excuses, I just want them :p.

We've been together for 3 years. We're both very understanding of each other. She doesn't stop me from buying discs, she just doesn't understand the need for more discs and I can never make really good excuses, I just want them :p.

Is there a reason for that extra pair of shoes? That # purse? That certain brand and color of nail polish? the list goes on to whatever they like/want. Be happy, talk with them. Someone else said it, as long as it's not financially harming it should be fine. That's where trust and responsibility in financial decisions comes into play. (btw I'm not trying to give advice to you or anyone, just my opinion and take on it)

I certainly keep my purchases reasonable. I just limit what I buy because I don't want too many discs that I can't thrown anyways. I just want to learn a few discs really well. I don't really have any other hobbies that I send money on. She knows I get great enjoyment from playing and doesn't say much. I just can't complain about her purchases.

Me and the wife keep separate accounts.
I spend my money, she spends hers.
It's not as good as supportive, but it's better than the "stink eye".
She does like that I've lost 15 pounds, so far, playing disc golf.
She does like that one of my disc golfing buddies helped me put in a tile floor in the bathroom and laundry room.
She does like that I go disc golfing with the kids every chance I get.
Overall, it's till a good deal for her.

My wife plays aslo, but she only uses 2-3 discs per round and is pretty set in her ways about what she uses ( valkyrie, banshee, and avair ). She's been playing alot longer then me and I guess I'm still trying to figure out what works for me the best.

As for buying new plastic, as long as the bills get paid, I am free to pick up all the new plastic I want to try.

My fiance plays as well but doesn't want/need as many discs as I do. She's somewhere in between the middle two in the pool. I don't have too many, 9 and one on the way. I sometimes buy her new discs to make her feel speical too.

A side note, my other hobby is hunting/shooting, but I haven't had much time for that in college. Once I get to do more of that and she reallizes how expensive that is ($5 a round or $15-30 for a good sporting clays range, and $2.50-5.00 per box really adds up) she'll be happy when I choose to play disc golf.

Hell ya. Everyone has their own "thing". At least buying discs is better then mainlining herion or being a serial killer. I have a closet full of plastic and a wall full as well. The only reason my old lady cares is because all of the plastic takes up space for her shoes.

Ha ha. That's my justification for all my vises.

Latest posts